Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CRV
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda 100 month battery installed in a 2009 CRV. The battery was purchased October 2014. Since it was advertised as a maintenance free battery I performed no checks. There have been no performance issues. At this point I would like to get the battery tested. I intend to ask for a load test. Can anyone tell me specifically what should be included the load test. Also, is there a test for the charging system and the starting system? If so what specifically should I be asking for.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You should be checking level in each cell on a somewhat regular basis.

Take it to the local auto parts store and they will check both the battery and charging system for free.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,809 Posts
Or, find an auto electrical shop.

The one near us can check load output from batteries, alternators, and troubleshoot voltage regulators. They can also measure current draw from your starter.

You'll need to pay for that much time, however.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
I have a Honda 100 month battery installed in a 2009 CRV. The battery was purchased October 2014. Since it was advertised as a maintenance free battery I performed no checks. There have been no performance issues. At this point I would like to get the battery tested. I intend to ask for a load test. Can anyone tell me specifically what should be included the load test. Also, is there a test for the charging system and the starting system? If so what specifically should I be asking for.
You can go two routes on this. You can check yourself with a simple smart battery testing device, or you can visit most any auto parts store and they generally are happy to do it for free. If you service your vehicle at a Honda dealer.. most dealers perform a battery test as part of their oil service, and record the results for you on your paperwork.

What you are seeking in a test is as follows:
1) CCA (which determines the quality of the battery, particularly it's plates). This can be in the form of an old school carbon load tester, or the more modern impedance testing method. Consumer hand testers use the impedance form of measure, which is generally reliable. A new battery, or an older battery in good condition will normally read a CCA result that is spec CCA x 1.25, but as long as CCA equals spec number on the label.. you still have a good battery, but it is heading south slowly on you.

2) Actual voltage level on the battery, which in and of itself won't tell you much other than the current state of charge in the battery. Voltage roughly equates to stored charge, with 12.7 vdc generally accepted as = 100% charge. This is best checked after you have performed a full saturation charge of the battery with a smart charger. [Because of how Honda's dual charging system functions.. most Honda owners will see a reading of between 12.4 and 12.6 vdc when checked].

3) test of the charging system itself, with the battery in the vehicle. This will determine if the charging system is functioning properly, and check if there are any leaking diodes (which would be detected in the form of ripple voltage on the charge voltage to the battery). A leaking diode is a primary cause of battery drain from a bad charging system.

4) a starter test can also be performed, but generally is of little value unless you are seeing intermittent starting issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my 2012 Honda CRV brand new. The first six years it had five batteries. I finally read a thread on this website where a guy said he replaced his AC relay. I insisted on my mechanic pulling in replacing it with a brand new one 2 1/2 years ago and I’ve not had a dead battery or had to be jumpstarted or any battery issue sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts