Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda,
I am a 68 yr old retired Grandma who lives alone and frequently babysits for my Grandchildren which includes picking them up and taking them to school etc. This means I need a reliable vehicle. When I purchased my 2016 CRV Touring model, I wanted reliability, safety, and comfort, Navigation and room for "road trip" cargo. My CRV checked all the boxes until Jan of 2018 when I started having trouble with the car not starting. At that point I had a little over 30k mi. At this point I need to say that I take care of my vehicles, with regular oil changes, and maintenance. I like to replace parts that might go bad soon instead of waiting until I am stuck. I have had AAA come to jump start the car several times during cold weather or after the car had not been driven for a few days. When I mentioned the problem at the dealer during maintenance, I was told the battery checked out fine. I was told to make sure the fob is at least 10ft away, because it might be draining the battery. Just a couple weeks after the last time I was told the battery was OK, it happened again. I took the car in and was suggested to get a new battery. I am thankful that I did this before the latest occurrence of the Polar Vortex!
Here is my complaint:
1) Why should a car with less than 40k mi. need a new battery? The mechanic told me the battery was "small" and they replace a lot of batteries in newer Hondas
2) Why isn't it covered under warranty? I had the problem for a year! I was told the battery was considered "passed" because it wasn't a total failure. So even though it wouldn't start the car in the cold or after sitting it was good.
I am not a wealthy person, and this is the most expensive car I have ever and probably will ever buy. It is my "retirement " car and I intend to keep it for a long time. I am disappointed that I have to start with replacing parts so soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's what I did:

I had to replace the battery in my 2014 CR-V twice under warranty. When it failed the third time, I called the dealership and verified that it was out of warranty, and when they told me it was, I went to Sam's Club and purchased an Eveready battery. It has lasted longer than the Honda batteries did. By the way, my CR-V just hit 17,500 miles.

I have given some thought to going to a larger battery, but will wait until my extended warranty expires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts