Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 crv 5000 miles 7 months old was a football game when I came out would not start.
Thankfully I had my mini max with me and was able to start car.This was 5 days ago nothing in car was left on
Seems to be fine now I am bring into dealer next week I,m sure they will say nothings wrong.
I was told on the phone it is a small battery and should not play radio when car is off???I did not play radio when car was off

·
Registered
996 Posts
There are several posts regarding the current gen's battery - I believe there was a TSB for the '17's but I could be mistaken.

You likely have a bad battery and it will be covered by warranty (not Honda but the battery mfg. warranty).

Good thing you had your 'mini-max.'

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Have them load test it. If it tests bad, they will replace it without issue. You are still within the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty period. It is covered by Honda.

"Every new Honda is covered, including the 12-volt battery, for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. The tires are warranted separately."

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,548 Posts
B S.................. it's a bad battery or charging system.. OEM battery should last 3-5 years minimum.
It is ALWAYS possible that there is a defect driven abnormal parasitic somewhere in the vehicle. The dealer can check and test for this.

More likely though.....

The battery is an electro-mechanical device. It is not unheard of for there to be a plate (mechanical) defect in one or more cells in a lead acid battery.. which can and will cause premature failure. And if the plate defect is intermittant (again, the plates are a phsyical mechanical part, subject to vibration, speed bump jolts, etc)... it would behave exactly as the owner has experienced.

There IS a reason that the battery is covered as part of Honda's 3/36 warranty..... it is the least reliable component in the modern vehicle.

Charging system failures in fairly new Hondas on the other hand, appear to be rare.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Batteries fail. Sometimes before they are supposed to. It happens. The Honda battery almost-certainly came from one the 2 manufacturers that make nearly every wet-cell lead-acid battery in North America, no matter where you buy it, and no matter what brand it is. (Because of the weight density, they are one of the few manufactured goods it makes no sense to import from China.) There's not some witless Honda Engineer sitting in a cube somewhere designing some special model that's just going to curse CR-V owners.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Our battery failed 18 months after we bought our 17 Touring. Being 70 miles from the local Honda dealer, I opted to upgrade to a NAPA battery that had 50% more CCA. OEM batteries, especially Honda's are undersized considering all the electrical demands on modern vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Friendly Honda tech here. Just had an 18 with about 22k in, she had her battery replaced at 8k in December. Not sure if she complained about a jump to start or it failed during regular battery test with Oil change. Anyways she brought it back the other day with a dead battery and since it was about 9 months after first battery replacement it landed in my hands. It struggled to start when I pulled it in, didn’t need my jumper. I thought well it wouldn’t hurt to put the GR-8 on it. So I did GR-8 test since it was able to start starter test obviously couldn’t test because the weak battery, but was able to get alternator test. Test result was bad alternator as it was over charging battery. I just produced a separate fail slip for the battery since it was still in warranty, and I didn’t want to over work the new alternator with a low battery and I’m willing to bet it was bad anyway. I replaced the battery along with alternator. I did notice the battery displaying symptoms of a “cooked battery” sulfur smell, case starting to swell and when I changed the battery after alternator replacement I did also notice some water in the battery tray. Been a day since she picked up so time will tell that fixed her issue. The 17-032 TSB doesn’t apply to her vehicle and neither does 19-039 for the 19s. Just found it interesting, and have noticed most of the vehicles with the 1.5T engine (Civic and CR-V)exhibit the cooked battery symptom. My Civic with same engine hasn’t had any issues with battery or charging and I’m about to hit 50k. Encourage an GR-8 system test. It literally takes 10-15 mins to do, and if it turns out to be alternator and it’s all warranty, the tech is in for at least 1.6 hours as it will cover alternator replacement 1 hour, battery that’s .3 then .2 for GR-8 and there’s a another .1 for Neutral Position Learn procedure. And over all alternator really wasn’t that hard to do, I did it in just about an hour.

·
Registered
428 Posts
FWIW, Last year, I was stuck with a dead battery on my 2017 CR-V, replaced it with an interstate battery from Costco. After many phone calls, Honda finally agreed to reimburse me. My Vin did not qualify for the TSB update. For piece of mind, I regularly charge the battery with a ctek trickle charger every 3-4 months. Despite routinely powering a dash cam and my cell phone, Haven't had an issue since.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
B S.................. it's a bad battery or charging system.. OEM battery should last 3-5 years minimum.
My brother is a Parts Manager at a local Honda dealership. My daughter's Fit had a weak battery that tested at only 230 CCA (battery is rated at 340 CCA) so it failed. When I told him about it and that the battery label stated it had a 100-month warranty so how come it failed after only 40 months, he laughed and said "Wow, yours lasted THAT long?" He basically told me that most of the Honda labeled batteries don't last the 100-month period and if you're lucky it'll maybe reach 60 months. Needless to say, the car was out of the basic warranty so it would cost more to try to get it pro-rated (they charge you to test the battery and then they'll charge you to replace it so I got an Interstate battery instead which I've mostly had them last at least 5 years before any problems; BTW Costco now sells Interstate instead of that Kirkland junk they had before).

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 crv 5000 miles 7 months old was a football game when I came out would not start.
Thankfully I had my mini max with me and was able to start car.This was 5 days ago nothing in car was left on
Seems to be fine now I am bring into dealer next week I,m sure they will say nothings wrong.
I was told on the phone it is a small battery and should not play radio when car is off???I did not play radio when car was off
Mine is 2017 LX and my friend's is 2017 LX too, we all had the same issue. we brought to dealers few times and they found nothing! After doing a lot of google search and few days, we found it was software issue. We brought to the dealer again and ask them to upgrade it. (very hard to ask them to upgrade software, I don't know why. I thought it should be easy and free) After upgrading, everything is good. software is really a nightmare.

17-032Parasitic battery draw from VSA modulator (Vehicle will not start)June 14, 2017RangeN17-032

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
49 Posts
I recently had my first replacement (flooded cell) battery replaced prematurely due to lowered CCA (336) however, the car always started on the first crank. After two draw tests, the consensus was that my current short trips (3 per week) around town were insufficient to fully recharge the battery. And during the off days, sulfation occurred on the lead plates that over time reduced the storage capacity of the battery. Before retiring four years ago, I drove 20 minutes or more each way to work which was ample time to recharge the battery. A new battery with a 3 year free replacement warranty would last 5-6 years if not more. This recent battery lasted just short of three years. My battery vendor, Advanceauto, replaced the battery under warranty; and I have purchased a smart trickle charger (NOCO) delivering 1.1 amps which keeps the battery maintained on the non-drive days. The charger delivers a pulse charge which dissolves any sulfur buildup on the plates. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring received a recall notice from Honda the other day stating to bring it in for a PGM-FI Evaporative Emission System Software update. The letter continued that after the vehicle is parked for an extended period, the powertrain control module (PCM) begins an evaporative system leak check. Under certain conditions, the PCM will not return to sleep mode and may result in a dead battery. I'm bringing her in for the software update because this has already happend to me one time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,548 Posts
I recently had my first replacement (flooded cell) battery replaced prematurely due to lowered CCA (336) however, the car always started on the first crank. After two draw tests, the consensus was that my current short trips (3 per week) around town were insufficient to fully recharge the battery. And during the off days, sulfation occurred on the lead plates that over time reduced the storage capacity of the battery. Before retiring four years ago, I drove 20 minutes or more each way to work which was ample time to recharge the battery. A new battery with a 3 year free replacement warranty would last 5-6 years if not more. This recent battery lasted just short of three years. My battery vendor, Advanceauto, replaced the battery under warranty; and I have purchased a smart trickle charger (NOCO) delivering 1.1 amps which keeps the battery maintained on the non-drive days. The charger delivers a pulse charge which dissolves any sulfur buildup on the plates. Only time will tell.

As a short distance in town driver as well... and given that Honda insists on the vehicle being a parasite on the battery at times (the dual charge system will turn off charging and actually draw from the battery at times)... I have simply moved to driving in town with my headlights on. Doing so overrides the dual charge systems low setting, which actually drains some charge from the battery. The result is most mornings now... when I start my CRV... the dual charge system sees the battery still at full charge from the day before and begins to stop charging and start "free loading" off the battery. I know the characteristics of the dual charge system well as I keep one of those little 12v power slot volt meters installed on our Hondas.

Your approach of using a smart trickle charger works well too.. it's just more convenient to run with the headlights on (gotta remember to turn them off though when parking!!) and not have to worry about the battery charge level anymore. My experience has been in short in town driving.... the battery is most often only about 60% charged (ie: 12.4 vdc low mode setting on the dual charge system), and for long life in a battery it needs to be topped up to 100% periodically.

·
Banned
249 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring received a recall notice from Honda the other day stating to bring it in for a PGM-FI Evaporative Emission System Software update. The letter continued that after the vehicle is parked for an extended period, the powertrain control module (PCM) begins an evaporative system leak check. Under certain conditions, the PCM will not return to sleep mode and may result in a dead battery. I'm bringing her in for the software update because this has already happend to me one time.
I got the same letter as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2 things I've observed lately - that flooded-cell batteries usually are NOT filled to the correct capacity (checked my '17 CR-V right after purchase and needed to add distilled water; checked a Costco replacement battery for our Sienna right after purchase and needed to add water) and underhood temps have skyrocketed since engineers have "managed" the airflow under and over the body (no more engine bay ventilation) which also causes battery water to evaporate faster; it's the reason you now see insulating "blankets" around batteries or batteries mounted outside the engine bay. Heat kills batteries (but they don't know they're dead until cold in the winter).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts