Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RESOLVED --- Bay Ridge Honda Dealership Issue - Financing Amount

UPDATE (2/15/16)
I met with the dealership today and they explained to me the financing. There was some confusion regarding the appointment on their end, but they did take time out of their day to discuss my contract. Long story short, I signed paperwork that explained the difference between the $28,700 and the $38,910. It related to several car protection items that I am able to cancel in six months. But I did give me initials for these items. The reason why I didn't mention this in my posts below is because this document was never given to me. It was provided to my insurance company, who was supposed to send over to me but never did or didn't as of yet. So that's why I couldn't figure out the difference between the two dollar amounts above with the paperwork I previously had. I never got this reconciling document that ties everything together.

All in all, Fred R. @ the dealership was very helpful at explaining the situation to me. And providing me the paperwork that I did not have in the first place, which included the reconciling document above and another document indicating that I could cancel all of it after six months.

Lesson learned for me is READ AND UNDERSTAND BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING. Coming from the auditing world, and business in general, it was kind of ironic that I didn't follow this simple rule for my personal life when I do it all the time at work lol. Chalk it up to tuition, which will cost me a little bit of money but not nearly as much if I wasn't able to cancel after six months.

--------------------------------------------------------

I purchased a 2016 Honda CR-V EXL AWD on January 31st, and finally received it today. Almost two weeks later.

I went into Bay Ridge Honda here in Brooklyn, NY, and filled out the remaining paperwork. As far as the money goes, I put down $15,000 as a down payment and the total agreed-upon amount was $28,700. So the remaining balance should have been around $17,000 without taxes, service contracts, etc.

I look at my Financing Agreement, specifically at the Total Taxable Sale Price line item, and they put down a full $10,000 more than we agreed upon!! Instead of the agreed-upon amount of $28,700, they put down $38,910!!!

I signed the paperwork since I was a bit tired and not on top of my game, but do I have any recourse here?? Can this be fixed???

I've always heard terrible reviews of this dealership but gave it a shot, since it was in my area. But the people I've dealt with were pretty rude and now this!!!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
It sounds like they screwed you pretty good. You signed the paper work, so it sounds like you have to pay. Sorry...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Contact your state's attorney office. Or some other state office of consumer affairs. Also contact Honda corporation and spill the beans about this cheating dealer. It is wrong, wrong, wrong. Don't let them get away with this! Signed it yes, but because of this malpractice by the dealer it is illegal. Don't quit until it is made right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've been texting with the dealer for 45 minutes tonight. He actually gave me previous paperwork, indicating that the sale price would be $28,700. So going to bring that to the dealer on Monday. And yeah, I did sign it and I know it's partially my fault. But they threw a million documents at me to sign and tried to rush me out of there, so I was kind of flustered at everything. But agree that I should have read the financing contract.

I think the $10,210 difference between the Total Taxable Sale Price line item and the agreed-upon amount is some stuff about "if the car gets totaled, I get my original down payment back" type of thing. I might have signed something for that as well, so I might be out of luck.

The transparency throughout this whole process was atrocious. The dealer will walk you through the initial process of sale price, etc., but when you finally buy and go in for the paperwork, they'll add on all this stuff and assume you say yes, and then throw all this stuff at you to sign. I know it's partially my fault but the treatment I received was really not what true customer service should be. I got treated sooooo much better as a potential customer than when I committed to actually purchase. It's the total opposite of what "true" customer service should be.

Well, I am going to the dealer on Monday to sort this out so will update then. But note that those in the NYC area and are looking at the Bay Ridge Honda dealership on 4th Avenue and 88th Street, DO NOT TRUST THEM. Of course, that may be true of other dealerships since I don't exactly have a lot of experience with this stuff.

Thanks for the responses. I am at my wits end dealing with this stuff. All I wanted was 1) to buy a CR-V at a fair price for everyone involved, 2) have the whole process be transparent, and 3) be treated fairly. I got the first one but not the last two.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Are you the same person posting about remote starter on your new 2016? You have the vehicle and are happy with it? When did you decide they're screwing you?

Seems that you bought extra cost add-ons. Anything else? Did you agree?

Sorry, I'm confused.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Having documentation of an agreed sales price and what you signed should have matched up. And apparently it doesn't. I would be squealing like a poked pig. I have done it on a number of occasions when it comes to unfair business practices and have never lost. You just have to know who to squeal to. Your states Attorney General would be the best place to start. I can tell you from experience, don't waste your time with the Better Business Bureau. I have had people call my bluff before, and they wish they hadn't. I have even dealt with deceptive business practices that were out of state and had my issues righted.

If you took the time to read all the paperwork that they threw in front of you, you could be there for a day or more. And I will bet the document with the purchase price was just tossed in front of you and told sign here without any explanation. The other thing is if there is further documentation of this practice happening to others, they could end up in some serious trouble.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/bureau/consumer-frauds-bureau

·
Registered
522 Posts
Why is it that automatically a lone unknown poster is almost always right and the dealer is always wrong?

I disagree with the previous reply. What is so difficult about looking at a quoted price on a contract and verifying that you agree before signing anything? Are we adults od babies?

You have a copy of the contract you signed? It does not match what the dealer has? If it does not, you have a case. If it matches, live with it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I hope this is an honest dealer mistake.

I would not wait until Monday. They have people there today that can fix this. I would go there today and try to get this resolved.

Please post results.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Why is it that automatically a lone unknown poster is almost always right and the dealer is always wrong?

I disagree with the previous reply. What is so difficult about looking at a quoted price on a contract and verifying that you agree before signing anything? Are we adults od babies?

You have a copy of the contract you signed? It does not match what the dealer has? If it does not, you have a case. If it matches, live with it.
"Are we adults or babies?" A baby is going to roll over and live with it. Go ahead and disagree with it. There are a lot of unscrupulous business' out there. I don't read every contract I sign word for word, and I doubt anybody does. But the dealer should be giving you an overview of what your signing. I'm not afraid to take on anybody when it comes to unethical practices. In fact I have fought the city and state at the same time and won.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
"Are we adults or babies?" A baby is going to roll over and live with it. Go ahead and disagree with it. There are a lot of unscrupulous business' out there. I don't read every contract I sign word for word, and I doubt anybody does. But the dealer should be giving you an overview of what your signing. I'm not afraid to take on anybody when it comes to unethical practices. In fact I have fought the city and state at the same time and won.
When signing the financial agreement the financing advisor sits with you and goes everything with you. There is talk about the price price you agreed upon, plus you see the numbers on the paper. Bottom line, the buyer should have been paying attention to the paperwork.

·
Banned
806 Posts
When signing the financial agreement the financing advisor sits with you and goes everything with you. There is talk about the price price you agreed upon, plus you see the numbers on the paper. Bottom line, the buyer should have been paying attention to the paperwork.
Completely agree with you, Coastie. However if they are being sneaky they may just try and slide it under the radar. Hopefully it gets worked out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fraud? Where is the fraud. He signed a contract. Didn't read it? Whose fault is that?
Agreed, I never mentioned it was fraud because I did actually sign the contract. So it's really on me. But I definitely felt the environment when signing the paperwork was not conducive to conversation and transparency, but more like rushing me out of the door. The manager of the sales floor guy was pretty much like, sign here and there. Here's a 10 second blurb of what this is, sign here and initial there. He gave me a monthly amount for the financing and I never once thought to ask how much the total loan amount was. The whole process of dealing with the manager was very, "let's get this done quick right now" type of deal. And I'm sure that's where I should have stepped in and reviewed everything, but being a first-time car buyer, I was hoping the process would be more customer-friendly.

Again, it wasn't fraud by any means. But there's a difference between doing things legally, and doing things legally and ethically/morally. The dealership definitely did things by the books from what I can see (e.g. I signed the paperwork). But ethically/morally, they could have been waaaay better at explaining things and making sure I knew what I was getting into, rather than throwing all this stuff at me. And the part about giving me the monthly payment amt and not the total amt, I feel was definitely intentional to try and confuse/overwhelm the customer. Did they do anything legally wrong? Nope. Could they have acted more responsibly and thoroughly explain things, and not rush me out of the door? Yes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you the same person posting about remote starter on your new 2016? You have the vehicle and are happy with it? When did you decide they're screwing you?

Seems that you bought extra cost add-ons. Anything else? Did you agree?

Sorry, I'm confused.
Yeah, same person with the remote starter. When discussing the price of 28700 with the sales floor guy, we talked about add-ons. The only ones I wanted were the wheel locks and body side molding. Sales floor guy says I shouldn't order those two items as part of the initial deal, since it's cheaper to buy it directly from the Honda and have it installed by his guy at the Honda Service station outside. All cash though, so a side deal for him I'm sure. So ended up not paying for any accessories whatsoever. Then came across this forum and decided to purchase and install the wheel locks and side body molding on my own. But back to the experience, actually, got a free accessory added on from the negotiating, which was crossbars. The EXL already has roof rails so got the crossbars. However, a few days later on, through text messages with the sales floor guy, changed from crossbars to the illuminated door sill covers. He said that's fine.

I am by no means a "car guy" so this whole process of buying a car and "installing" things on my car is completely foreign to me. In the past, the most automotive thing I've done with the car is fill my AC with that liquid to make the AC colder.

I only got my car yesterday, and all the financing paperwork was done yesterday as well. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the car. But when I started reviewing the paperwork after the fact, I noticed the 28700 vs 38910 discrepancy, and was like WTF.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having documentation of an agreed sales price and what you signed should have matched up. And apparently it doesn't. I would be squealing like a poked pig. I have done it on a number of occasions when it comes to unfair business practices and have never lost. You just have to know who to squeal to. Your states Attorney General would be the best place to start. I can tell you from experience, don't waste your time with the Better Business Bureau. I have had people call my bluff before, and they wish they hadn't. I have even dealt with deceptive business practices that were out of state and had my issues righted.

If you took the time to read all the paperwork that they threw in front of you, you could be there for a day or more. And I will bet the document with the purchase price was just tossed in front of you and told sign here without any explanation. The other thing is if there is further documentation of this practice happening to others, they could end up in some serious trouble.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/bureau/consumer-frauds-bureau
I am going to the dealer on Monday to try and appeal to his better senses, so we'll see what happens first.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I definitely don't prescribe to always blaming the big bad dealer and siding with the lowly customer. I posted just now about the dealer not doing anything legally wrong. I signed the contract but should have reviewed it beforehand. My mistake, I know. The top line of the contract definitely doesn't match this other document they signed with the $28,700. So we'll see what they say when I back to discuss.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I would not wait until Monday. They have people there today that can fix this. I would go there today and try to get this resolved.

Please post results.
I asked the sales floor guy and he said the manager I dealt with is in on Monday, so we're waiting I suppose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Please post results.
My gut feeling is that if I go into the dealership this weekend, and speak to someone that I didn't deal with, they're just going to have to wait until Monday when the manager comes back anyway. So just going to wait.

Will post outcome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are absolutely correct. I should have read the numbers on the contract before signing. Again, I state that the dealer did nothing wrong legally. He gave me the paperwork, explained my monthly payment, and I signed it. I should have spoken up and read it more carefully.

But isn't there a better way to buy a car? I felt less like a customer AFTER I committed to buying the car than when I was only a potential customer. Isn't that the opposite of good customer service?

Also, I am sure there are contracts we sign that are NEVER read, and we just sign and/or agree without knowing what we're agreeing to. And by contracts, I don't mean just things we're purchasing but things we sign up for (e.g. Amazon, Facebook, email accounts, online access to banking accounts, etc.) and things of that nature. Let's say a company like Amazon was to slip some language in their contract when you sign up indicating hidden fees, and you signed up without reading everything. You make your first Amazon order and there are these fees other than the product, shipping, and taxes. Legally, Amazon doesn't have to do anything since you signed the contract. They can take the money and run. But ethically/morally?

But, like I said, the dealer didn't do anything wrong legally. I should have read the contract before signing, bar none.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts