Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kicking my self in the ass for this one. I've always had these little things on my dash vents. Today I get in the car after work and as I'm driving down the road I notice my center dash vents looks a little strange. Turns out the air freshener had leaked a little bit. I don't know what the ingredients of this stuff is but it did a number on the plastic. It literally ate it away. I tried several cleaners and I still can't get off the sticky residue. I finally used a little nail polish remover and that got most of it. The liquid really screwed up the silver finish. I'm wondering if I should just leave it or try to paint it with either black or silver testers model paint????

For whatever reason I can't get the images to load, I see them fine it the links but they don't show up. Anyway the air freshener is from Frebreaze

Attachments

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,640 Posts
Sorry to learn about this. Your picture is not viewable. Why not ask your dealer what the cost would be to replace the damaged vent/trim? It may not be too expensive.

Certainly you could paint it. Just be sure the paint is compatible with plastics. You may have to carefully fine sand the affected area. Of course use caution not to damage the surrounding area. Maybe glue a small piece of very fine sandpaper onto a popsicle stick to better control the sanding effort. Good luck, and let us know how this turns out. JimBob

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Sorry to hear. you know you can put that stuff in your cabin filter not hard to do.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,194 Posts
Thanks, yea I don't know why the pics don't show up
Its an issue with the forum site, been going on a week or more, wish they could get it fixed or give us a ETA for the fix.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the part info. All I need to do is figure out how to remove the old one and install the new one. I was taking a look at it and it really looks like its installed from the back. Not sure how that is going to work Lol

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
what air freshner post the link up so we all do not buy it.

If i remembered from the days you grab the vent and pull, what I did years ago on my 2002. when they are in hand look at it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered the new part and clips. If anyone has first hand experience removing and replacing the vent let me know. I spent an hour yesterday trying to find instructions but came up with nothing. Worse comes to worse I'll pay the dealer to do it

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Febreze has offered me a $50 prepaid debit card for my problems. That covers the part but it won't come close for paying for Honda's labor if I need to take it to the dealer for replacement. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I literally cannot stand the smell of all of these 'air fresheners' - they are, literally, poison.

Why anyone would install such a thing in a new vehicle is beyond comprehension.

There are businesses in my town I cannot even enter due to the horrid smells of said 'air fresheners.'

I really dislike the odor (that's what it is, an odor) of these devices, my wife on the other hand is allergic to them and the begins to have problems breathing.

I highly doubt that the majority of you will understand my post though I truly believe one or more will read and understand it.

These 'air fresheners' are the airborne equivalent of aspartame...BAD for you.

/rant>

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I literally cannot stand the smell of all of these 'air fresheners' - they are, literally, poison.

Why anyone would install such a thing in a new vehicle is beyond comprehension.

There are businesses in my town I cannot even enter due to the horrid smells of said 'air fresheners.'

I really dislike the odor (that's what it is, an odor) of these devices, my wife on the other hand is allergic to them and the begins to have problems breathing.

I highly doubt that the majority of you will understand my post though I truly believe one or more will read and understand it.

These 'air fresheners' are the airborne equivalent of aspartame...BAD for you.

/rant>
Geeezzzz.....Its beyond my comprehension why someone would write such a dick post, live in Montana and write a post which contributes NOTHING. I didn't ask if you liked the smell of them or if your wife was allergic to them

·
Registered
426 Posts
Geeezzzz.....Its beyond my comprehension why someone would write such a dick post, live in Montana and write a post which contributes NOTHING. I didn't ask if you liked the smell of them or if your wife was allergic to them
Yes, this forum (like all forums) have contributors who are unable to offer helpful information, so instead they just provide opinions...

If you search YouTube you might find some helpful videos about vent removal, at least enough to give you some insight (keep searching)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQTivSVLPwY

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.