Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1999 CR-V. Currently it's got a blown head gasket, which I plan on replacing until I can get my paws on a lower mileage engine (this one is at 360,000 km).

I'm wondering if there's any way I can beef up the AWD system in this thing? Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,623 Posts
Your V's RTFWD ("Real Time Four Wheel Drive") system was designed for seamless, passive engagement while saving fuel during 'normal' running.

The biggest limitation in the V's AWD system is that it uses open differentials.

Due to this, it will keep you mobile in 95% of the situations folks encounter.

Other makes have lockable diffs of some kind. I've never heard of anyone retrofitting them into a V.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Making it a bit more durable, as I have plans to make modifications to the engine to squeak more horsepower out of it, and I don't want to break or damage anything in the driveline.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your V's RTFWD ("Real Time Four Wheel Drive") system was designed for seamless, passive engagement while saving fuel during 'normal' running.

The biggest limitation in the V's AWD system is that it uses open differentials.

Due to this, it will keep you mobile in 95% of the situations folks encounter.

Other makes have lockable diffs of some kind. I've never heard of anyone retrofitting them into a V.

I had joked with my roommate about modifying a Dana 40 to fit the Honda. I would want something like beefier driveshafts and perhaps differentials if they were available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You picked the wrong vehicle then.... These are decent off-road, but lack the down low torque and low gearing to make them a viable option for anything other than mild forest service roads and snow/sand. Modifying the AWD system on a CR-V isn't worth the time/money, there are so many other options out there that offer a better build platform. Sure, if money isn't a concern and you want to do it for the fun, then have at it, but good luck. Sorry to rain on your parade, but it's a simple fact.

Look at the Liberty, Geo/Chevy Tracker, Suzuki Grand Vitara, something with a legitimate truck frame, RWD oriented drivetrain, and a hi/low transfer case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts