Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1999 CRV EX A/T. I drive the thing like I'm sponsored but I know it's a slow as a rock. So I'm trying to get to know my car, and maybe getting a loose grasp on basic mechanics while I'm at it. I'm just trying to get some suggestions and info on what I could do to my car so I can get a feel for it. Obviously the basic things people do to their car for beginners tuning is slap on a CAI and straight pipe the crap out of it and call it good, but that doesn't really allow you to get to know your car. I'm not at the point where I can drop money on any forced induction or a swap or something of that nature.m, just basic cheap tunes to maybe make my car run a little better, a little faster, and put an even bigger smile on my face.

TLDR: What could I do to my car for basic tuning that isnt expensive and isnt just superficial, but will have some benefit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The cheapest thing you can do is be sure the valves are set to factory spec, timing is set, plugs/wires are in good shape and everything is as it came from the factory. When was the oil changed last? When did you check the tire pressure last? When was the air filter last replaced?
There is a lot that goes into making a car run as well as it can as it is a collection of 'systems' which all have to work in harmony for it to operate at its best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep my car well maintained with tune ups and checks as often as they should be done, pilot was just changed, just got brand new tires, and I always check my filters etc. I'm not looking to keep my car 100% stock. I want my car to be MY car, not just another CRV. Now I don't want to murder my car and ruin in and change everything, I'm just trying to change or install a few things. I want a bit more performance, but to keep my car healthy. I mean my car has about 180k miles and I've basically never had a problem, and it's never broken down on me ever. But again, I want to do a little bit of tuning to my car, just to see cause and effect of modifications. I'm trying to start with the engine bay, and then I might move on to either suspension/drivetrain, and then exhaust etc etc. Just looking for ideas on a few things I can modify, change, or add that aren't REALLY expensive, and could improve performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm right there with you, in the sense I want to make my 99 crv ex 4wd auto mine with a few basic to intermediate mods vs leaving it stock or a doing a full blown build. I'm have really hard time finding a cold air intake that will fit just from my light internet searching and have only had a muffler installed so far, not a loud obnoxious muffler but a better flowing and better sounding muffler. Have you found any mods that worked well for you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts