Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently managed to get a cheapish rear bike rack for our two bikes but it is a bit of a pain to install. So I was wondering if anyone managed to find a decent and fast setup bike rack for the CRV. I appreciate any recommendations on this.

Model: 2012 CRV

·
Registered
918 Posts
You don’t mention hitch mount, door mount or roof mount ??

A hitch mount is probably the easiest to install and use especially one that the bikes sit in , not hang on type.
Prices can vary widely

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I am new to this...I have a hitch that we paid to fit on the rear of the car so a rear hitch one would be good

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank-you for the suggestion, I like the look of that one!
Yeah no prob, strange to see that they've gone up in price, when I bought mine last summer it was $68. I guess with the pandemic and everyone buying bike, it makes some sense that bike rack prices might be higher than usual.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thank-you for the suggestion, I like the look of that one!
That one will have bikes hanging on not in (or sitting in/on) as I mentioned.
I found a three bike rack clearance at wally one time for under $50. Not the highest quality, but works.
Other hitch bike racks suggestions in a bunch of other threads recently were posted on this forum. You should be able to get a decent 2+ bike rack bike ride in not hanging on rack for about $100 and up. Bike hanging on like one linked above IMO is less stable and may provide additional challenges to use depending on your bikes. EX: no cross bar or a sweeping step through frame. You would have to figure something out to hang on that rack. I also think the rated capacity is probably higher for the style I am mentioning so a heavier electric hybrid bike could be carried easier and safer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That one will have bikes hanging on not in (or sitting in/on) as I mentioned.
I found a three bike rack clearance at wally one time for under $50. Not the highest quality, but works.
Other hitch bike racks suggestions in a bunch of other threads recently were posted on this forum. You should be able to get a decent 2+ bike rack bike ride in not hanging on rack for about $100 and up. Bike hanging on like one linked above IMO is less stable and may provide additional challenges to use depending on your bikes. EX: no cross bar or a sweeping step through frame. You would have to figure something out to hang on that rack. I also think the rated capacity is probably higher for the style I am mentioning so a heavier electric hybrid bike could be carried easier and safer.
Wow thanks for deeper insight, I am new to all of this, we do have a cheap Nike rack that we managed to get from U-Haul who were the ones that also installed the hitch car but the bike rack is a pain to install set up and detach. I know all bike racks will involve some measure of set-up but was looking for one that is known to be 'easier'
I will go through the other posts to see other recommendations as you said. Thank-you

·
Registered
918 Posts
To me the one where wheels sit in a carrier are easy to use once setup, usually more stable and handle more loads. Like in this picture
096EFC89-BB77-4A9C-BF84-501C3754986C.jpeg

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
390 Posts
The first one Theman5 posted looks like a Yakima Holdup. There is also one called a Thule T2. Both are a bit pricey, but they're pretty much bulletproof, can have integrated locks to prevent the bikes or the rack itself from being stolen, and able to carry ebikes too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank-you for this find in will look for it online... I guess all racks have some measure of straps, my current one had so many straps and so takes a long time...I did see one on a youtube some years ago that didn't have as many straps and was quick and easy.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
390 Posts
The Thule T2 has one strap for the real wheel and a ratcheting arm for the front... And that's it. Very simple, and very secure. The Yakima rack is similar.

I've been looking for a Thule Sidearm lately too. It's like a T2, but for the roof rack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts