Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to be able to use a bike rack on our 2017 CRV-Touring. We don't have a hitch. We have an old Graber trunk-style bike rack we've used before but not sure how well it would work on the CRV. It seems to mount okay but two issues might be 1)the strap that goes over the "spoiler" panel at the top of the rear door and 2)there isn't much of a bumper for part of the rack to rest on. I've done some research and found a well-recommended rack "Premier Trunk Mounted Bike Rack by Allen Sports". Their website indicates it would fit the 2017 CRV Touring. I just need some reassurance it would work okay. Anyone have any experience with non-hitch bike racks on their Gen 5 CRV's?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,820 Posts
I just looked around for what you are seeking... was surprised by the selection at etrailer Including several ok with spoilers.
Shocked at the pricing, but I guess it's driven at the cheap end by the combined cost of tow hitch and rack.
Shocked at the high end cost with suction cup set up.
Crazy bike rack pricing

·
Registered
237 Posts
Why?

You obviously don't mind spending extra money and/or splurging on things that are better, since you claim to have a touring model.

Why not get a hitch and a hitch mounted rack? In my mind a hitch mounted bike rack is easier to take on and off of the vehicle, more sturdy & secure, and gives less of a chance of scratching the paint or breaking a window. I can't really think of any advantages of a hatch-mounted bike rack (other than being a little cheaper).

A decent 2" receiver hitch doesn't cost that much and is a fairly easy DIY install project if you are even the least bit handy

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L and 2016 CR-V EX
4 Posts
I second the trailer hitch option. Go for the curt hitch on Amazon and if you don’t feel comfortable installing it, take it to a trusted mechanic. I bought mine from Amazon’s warehouse deals for around $55 and had my mechanic install is for $95. Got the Allen bike rack from Wally World and it works great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why?

You obviously don't mind spending extra money and/or splurging on things that are better, since you claim to have a touring model.

Why not get a hitch and a hitch mounted rack? In my mind a hitch mounted bike rack is easier to take on and off of the vehicle, more sturdy & secure, and gives less of a chance of scratching the paint or breaking a window. I can't really think of any advantages of a hatch-mounted bike rack (other than being a little cheaper).

A decent 2" receiver hitch doesn't cost that much and is a fairly easy DIY install project if you are even the least bit handy
Agreed. I bought a rear mount bike rack and sent it back--too much pressure on the top of the door and always worried about scratching the car. Self install a hitch in about 45 minutes and bought an Allen hitch mount--perfect. Total cost around $250 but peace of mind is priceless.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I just bought the "Saris, Bones EX" bike rack for my '17 V ex.
It fits great, is very light and most important it does not touch the 'wing'.
It holds 2 bikes.
I think it ran around $200US...I paid less as I work in a bike shop.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't know the value of the bikes you are hauling but the two I generally haul far exceed the cost of a hitch and good rack like a Yakima. Not about to trust them to some strap type hanging on the hatch. With my Yakima, I can tilt the rack with the bikes on it to open the hatch and it has built in locks. One locks it to the receiver and the other is a cable lock that locks the bikes to the rack so I can park and go into a restaurant without worrying about the bikes "disappearing".

LiteRider

·
Registered
2014 EX-L AWD
153 Posts
for what you are looking for, i'd say go with the Saris Bones rack. you may want to check your local craigslist and facebook marketplace (you don't need a FB account for marketplace). when i search for various bike items, there are always 'trunk mounted' style racks for sale as people are upgrading to the hitch style tray racks.

quick search of my local FB marketplace, 5 bones style for sale, $65-200 (brand new in box).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts