Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. This is my first post and I have a question. I am going to be replacing the brake pads on my 2007 Honda CR-V EX-L. I have usually taken it to a mechanic to do this but decided to take it upon myself to install new ones. What do you guys recommend as far as brake pads? I was looking at Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic discs, but I figured I come to you guys before making my final decision. Thanks in advance!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,360 Posts
The Wagners will be a fine choice. Just make sure they are free in the top & bottom SS guides. (I've needed to file the edges of Wagner pads in the past, to get 'em free.)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Or just buy OEMs off Amazon. If you are doing fronts I would automatically replace the rotors. They are $30 each on Amazon.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,360 Posts
^^^ No reason.

Our '06s rotors have never warped, but at around 130K miles the edges were getting rusty enough to create some shaking.

I bought a higher priced brand that had painted hats and vents, I figured this would reduce the tendency to rust where the pads don't contact. I'm sure the $30 Amazon rotors would not be painted.. (Not an issue unless you drive in areas with salted roads).

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,360 Posts
"Premium" is arbitrary, isn't it? ? ?

Name brand pads are usually OK, I've used Akebono ceramic pads on other cars. On the V, the Akebonos are the same cost as OEM pads from an online dealer.

Just make sure that everything is properly lubed and that the new pads are 'falling-out' loose when you place them in the SS holders. (Once I installed Wagner CR-V pads for a friend, and I needed to file the flashing off the edges of the backing plates to get 'em loose enough for me.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts