Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Experts,

This will be my first car, started driving recently. I'm confused to choose best car among the list Midsize or Crossover SUV mentioned.

(a) HONDA CR-V --> I would like to go with HONDA CR-V because Space, Speed & Acceleration, Features, Resale value ..etc
(b) TOYOTA RAV4 --> My second choice is for RAV4
(c) NISSAN ROGUE
(d) NISSAN MURANO
(e) SUBARU FORESTER
(f) SUBARU OUTBACK

Note : I came across this info from some of my friends.

(1) Miles : Less than 50K miles.

(2) Model : 2013 - 2015

(3) Two-wheel drive (2WD) or All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) - Due to snowfall in winter, I'll choose All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) .

(4) Comparison with Honda Accord Vs Honda CR-V in speed : I like the way Honda Accord speed & acceleration it has may be it is sedan & due to its shape, size & other factors. Can I expect the same comfort in speed & acceleration for Honda CR-V as well when compared with Honda Accord ?

(5) Trim Levels : Honda EX vs EX-L..etc - How better are these features useful to spend additional price, still i need to figure it out ? Leather-Trimmed Seats, Heated Seats, Roof, Alloy wheels, Navigation, Dual Air Bags, Side Air Bags, Backup Camera, Parking Sensor, Power Steering, Power Seat, Cruise Control, Air Conditioning, Keyless Start, ABS (4-Wheel), Daytime Running Lights ..etc

Much appreciate your reply

·
Registered
141 Posts
Since this is a CR-V forum, you’re going to get a lot of people telling you that the CR-V is the best of the bunch. Anyway, here’s my input…

“Speed & Acceleration” is not a feature that’s going to wow you on the CR-V. If that’s what you’re after, then you’re better off with the Forester or Escape with their turbo engine options.

The CR-V, Rav4, Rogue, and Forester are all compact crossovers. The Murano is a mid-size crossover. The Outback is a station wagon. Not that the Murano and Outback are bad choices, but they’re not in the same segment. Decide on the kind of vehicle you want first.

Unless the Accord you’ve driven has a V6, then the driving dynamics are going to be very similar to the CR-V.

Trims levels. The CR-V’s EX trim is clearly the best value. That said, I splurged for the EX-L because I value the leather upholstery, auto-dimming rearview mirror, and auto climate control. Know the differences between the trims and decide what you can afford.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You really just need to go out and test drive them!! Enjoyed our 2011 CRV....but was not going to risk buying a 2015/15 CRV due to the vibration issues....love my 2016 Outback and my wife loves her 2016 Forester......both have excellent resale value.....You just need to go out and test drive them. All seem to have some sort of quirks. In my opinion.,.....last time we test drove new vehicles, in the fall of 2010....all made great improvements in handling and style..except for the CRV.....just my opinion though......As soon as I sat/drove the Outback...I knew it was for me...but others may not have that feeling,lol

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Definitely go and test drive all of them. Obviously most of us will tell you to go with the CRV since we all chose one. I love ours and didn't even drive any other vehicles since that's what the wife and I wanted.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was in a loaded Murano and absolutely LOVED it. It was also much more $$$. This had 360 degree cameras and I loved the collision warnings on this. It is not in the same league as the others.

Nissan Rogue and Toyota RAV4 have models that also have 360 degree cameras - 4 cameras stitched together and giving you an aerial/bird's eye view. This is amazing and I wish Honda did this.

I have driven an Accord 4 cylinder as a loaner and I found the ride far more comfortable than the CRV.

I wish I had bought an Outback over my CRV (Outback was hard to come by) but wish the Outback sat higher. It drives better IMO.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dear Experts,

This will be my first car, started driving recently. I'm confused to choose best car among the list Midsize or Crossover SUV mentioned.

(a) HONDA CR-V --> I would like to go with HONDA CR-V because Space, Speed & Acceleration, Features, Resale value ..etc
(b) TOYOTA RAV4 --> My second choice is for RAV4
(c) NISSAN ROGUE
(d) NISSAN MURANO
(e) SUBARU FORESTER
(f) SUBARU OUTBACK

Note : I came across this info from some of my friends.

(1) Miles : Less than 50K miles.

(2) Model : 2013 - 2015
I thought about buying another new car recently and researched theses models with the exception of the Nissans. Because I keep vehicles for upwards of 150k to 200k miles, long term reliability is at the top of my list. The Rav4 came out #1 with the CRV a close second.

(5) Trim Levels : Honda EX vs EX-L..etc - How better are these features useful to spend additional price, still i need to figure it out ? Leather-Trimmed Seats, Heated Seats, Roof, Alloy wheels, Navigation, Dual Air Bags, Side Air Bags, Backup Camera, Parking Sensor, Power Steering, Power Seat, Cruise Control, Air Conditioning, Keyless Start, ABS (4-Wheel), Daytime Running Lights ..etc
I always choose the base trim levels. Not only does it cut cost but the lack of extra gadgets (especially electrical ones) mean there are fewer things to go out on you down the road.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The latest gen. RAV 4 is one of the most ugliest vehicles now around. The front is up for a criminal investigation by the Attorney General.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I always choose the base trim levels. Not only does it cut cost but the lack of extra gadgets (especially electrical ones) mean there are fewer things to go out on you down the road.
I once chose base trim levels for the reasons you state. However I have become old and spoiled. My mistake was buying a well used but loaded Park Avenue followed by a Lincoln Town car. I then bought a base Impala and missed automatic temperature control, memory seats, leather seats and many other luxury features. I traded the Impala for a loaded Kia Optima that had all of what the others had and much more (heated & cooled seats, panoramic sun roof, memory seats, heated steering wheel and much more). I never had any of the goodies go bad or have any problem with them from new to 200,000 miles. I traded the Optima for the CRV EX-L and I'm sure I will miss the memory seats and heated steering wheel and I know the grandchildren will complain about not having heated seats in the rear and the panoramic sunroof in the rear.

If you calculate the difference in cost to get the options and divide them over the time you will own the car, the daily/monthly/yearly cost is worth it to me. I spent 40+ years driving basic cars and I ain't gonna do it any longer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
CRV, Mazda CX-5 or Hyundai Santa Fe, not Tucson would be your best choices. The Nissans are junk and the Toyota is not as nice. I was never a fan of Subaru, but it has a cult following.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you calculate the difference in cost to get the options and divide them over the time you will own the car, the daily/monthly/yearly cost is worth it to me. I spent 40+ years driving basic cars and I ain't gonna do it any longer.
I agree! I drove a ton of basic cars in my early years, I want some nice features. I really need the auto dimming mirror, where I live, I want heated seats and heated mirrors. I so want a heated steering wheel after driving a Lexus for awhile in the winter - the next Outback will have that. I want electric seats - the manual adjustments sort of suck.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Lots for you to think about - dealer proximity and reputation, car's reliability ratings, etc etc. I just read an interesting article on anticipated depreciation in today's vehicles. The thing that gotr my attention was the tech packages offered in today's cars. The author pointed out that tech changes so rapidly that buying a car today with all the tech bells and whistles will be most apt to suffer steeper depreciation because those features will have been replaced by higher technology thereby rendering the tech pkg in your vehicle much less desirable. I mean what am I to do with this box of 8 track cassettes ??? Craig

·
Registered
61 Posts
The latest gen. RAV 4 is one of the most ugliest vehicles now around. The front is up for a criminal investigation by the Attorney General.
With the exception of some sport cars, there hasn't been an attractive car made since the 60's. Today they're all either bland, boring, or ugly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have to ask. How old are you, and are you financing.?

First car, reliable, safe...yes. Nice, new, expensive...no.

Spend less, learn to drive in a cheaper but safe/reliable car (1-3 years behind the wheel), then go get what you want.
Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
The 2016 fully loaded Tucson was nice (in my opinion) but just too new....Lot of major changes in the 2016 model, so we stayed away! But it just was not "love" we we drove it. For me, when I have bought a car, I know right away if that car is for me! 1 thing you should do--is test drive the trim level you are going to buy! A huge difference in test driving the base trim level vs the higher level trims!! Made that mistake in 2010! We told the Honda salesman we wanted the EX-L, but he took us out in the base model!! hated it!! Crossed the CRV off our list! Out of boredom 1 day, went to another dealer and he took me out in the EX-L! Huge difference!! Didnt buy from that dealer as they were super high in price!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts