Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 CRV with the higher compression B20Z motor, manual states 5w30 and 10w30 if driven in a hot climate.
What would be the best grade for my motor that has 220,000km on the engine and is driven in a hot climate?

Could I go 10W40?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,024 Posts
If you are burning any oil, you might decrease that tendency, by going to the higher viscosity.

A 10W-40 wouldn't be absolutely necessary, but it wouldn't cause any harm IMO.

You might look into using a truck oil that has higher ZDDP to preserve your cam surfaces. In the USA these are readily available in a 10W-40 or 15W-40.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not burning any engine oil so perhaps not necessary to go to viscosity other than factory, how would 30 vs 40 affect engine wear/performance if the engine is still at spec?

I'm assuming in hot climates using 5w or 10w won't make much difference?

That's a good point about ZDDP, it will help with the overhead cams, I noticed there was some slight scoring on the lobes when I did the valve lash recently. I'll try find some oil with ZDDP because it definitely helps with overhead cams, it's not snake oil.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,024 Posts
You can buy ZDDP additives. They only need to be added to oil every 3 - 4 oil changes.

The lower number is the cold viscosity. So if its warm where you are (above 32F or 0C) either is OK.

+++++++++++

Before I became 'oil-aware', I used 20W-50 in engines that called for 5W-30...no adverse effects (except maybe for MPG) for up to 200K miles! I wouldn't do that nowadays because I'm confident that today's thinner oils PROTECT as well as the old, thicker oils.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I run 5w30 synthetic in mine all year. The manual says you can use 10w30 if it does not below 20f but 5w30 is preferred.
I don't think it really matters because when the oil temp gets warmer it gets to 30 weight. That's why it is multi viscosity.
Remember not to use fram filters.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run 5w30 synthetic in mine all year. The manual says you can use 10w30 if it does not below 20f but 5w30 is preferred.
I don't think it really matters because when the oil temp gets warmer it gets to 30 weight. That's why it is multi viscosity.
Remember not to use fram filters.
Whats wrong with the Fram filters?
Are the GUD filters ok for oil and petrol filters?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the Genuine Honda 5w30 oil like, is it synthetic?
It's well priced at my local Honda dealer.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Remember, most engine wear happens when starting a cold engine and in the first minute or so, afterwards. 0w starts lubricating faster than a 5w or a 10w or a 15w.
Remember that engine oil today is a lot different than it was in 1999 when those recommended oil wts were put in your owner's manual.
There are some articles on different overhead cam configurations,( roller, tappet, etc),that some of the newer synthetics don't supply sufficient wear protections for them, as Carbuff2 hints.
So, ZDDP, could help.I don't know if that applies to your engine.
I have an 2003 Ody with 190k miles on it and I use 0w20 Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and still don't have to add oil between my 5-6000 mile changes.
I also use the Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter.

Buffalo4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts