Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to confirm if the headlights on all 4th gen crv fit the same. I have been browsing hid projector headlights on ebay that have integrated led strips to install on my lowly 2015 LX.

The lighting is definitely lacking on the halogens and I don't want to be "that guy" who blinds everyone with hids in halogen housing. I have 35w h11 kit ready to go from a previous vehicle. Want to know the best headlight to go with.

Would consider touring headlights, but don't think they would work on the LX. So if the aftermarket ones work well with the LX electronics, then I'd go for that.

Example of one of the headlights.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/For-Honda-CR-V-2012-2016-Headlights-with-Angel-Eye-and-LED-Light-Bar-DRL-Lamp-/272106569339?nav=SEARCH

-cW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dont do the HIDs I did them om my 15 Tacoma and was not pleased with them. I wasnt happy with the light output of my 16 CRV either,I swapped out the H11 bulbs for the H9's and the output is much much better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aftermarket headlights on ebay are generally for 2012-2014 model years. In another thread on this forum other members commented that headlights from 2015 onwards are not backward compatible with 2012-14. This may mean that mounting positions of the ebay headlight are not compatible with your vehicle.

I had considered the same headlight for my 2013 CRV but abandoned the idea after I found out that these are not legal for US market due to lack of amber side reflectors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aftermarket headlights on ebay are generally for 2012-2014 model years. In another thread on this forum other members commented that headlights from 2015 onwards are not backward compatible with 2012-14. This may mean that mounting positions of the ebay headlight are not compatible with your vehicle.

I had considered the same headlight for my 2013 CRV but abandoned the idea after I found out that these are not legal for US market due to lack of amber side reflectors.
Thanks for the heads-up on the compatibility.

The amber reflectors are not a big deal since they are quite common on the euro mod scene.

I am going to try the h11r bulbs that are made for a reflector housing.

-cW

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont do the HIDs I did them om my 15 Tacoma and was not pleased with them. I wasnt happy with the light output of my 16 CRV either,I swapped out the H11 bulbs for the H9's and the output is much much better.
I see the h9 run higher power. Any issues for you? Does it fit the same?

-cW

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hid retrofit is what you want. I ended up retrofitting my CRV euro headlights and it made a major difference. If your looking for a cheap modification swapping bulbs. My suggestion is do not get any bulb that has been painted. Clear bulbs are the best and HIR bulbs make a major difference. A retrofit will cost you alot more money but will give you 100 times more usable light.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So I tried to install my H11R HID bulbs this past weekend, unfortunately one of my ballasts was bad so I had to order a new set from xenon supply. However, I was able to see one side working and from in my garage it looked as though the factory halogen cutoff was achieved. Once I get the new ballasts installed completely I will post pictures. Should be this weekend.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I tried to install my H11R HID bulbs this past weekend, unfortunately one of my ballasts was bad so I had to order a new set from xenon supply. However, I was able to see one side working and from in my garage it looked as though the factory halogen cutoff was achieved. Once I get the new ballasts installed completely I will post pictures. Should be this weekend.
Nice! I'm guessing the light output was at least double the halogens?

-cW

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice! I'm guessing the light output was at least double the halogens?

-cW

It was good, although it was hard to tell in my garage. Also I just discovered a solution to an issue I was having. The H11R HID bulbs require you to connect to the factory headlight plug by way of positive and negative spades. Seeing as the H11 spades are so thin, they would easily disconnect after some driving. So I found a "Male" connector I can attach for a solid connection through distantxtremes.com. I will post pics once I can install later this week.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was good, although it was hard to tell in my garage. Also I just discovered a solution to an issue I was having. The H11R HID bulbs require you to connect to the factory headlight plug by way of positive and negative spades. Seeing as the H11 spades are so thin, they would easily disconnect after some driving. So I found a "Male" connector I can attach for a solid connection through distantxtremes.com. I will post pics once I can install later this week.
Kool. Very interested to see how it works out.

-cW

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, so I went ahead and installed the H11R 4300k HID bulbs yesterday after getting my new ballasts. I took some pics below against a building wall. As you can see there is some scattering on the 1st pic when I was right up against the wall. It seemed to have gotten better as I back away. Also I showed with and without fogs. They light up the road very nice and distance is great. Time will tell as they break in more. Please let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so I went ahead and installed the H11R 4300k HID bulbs yesterday after getting my new ballasts. I took some pics below against a building wall. As you can see there is some scattering on the 1st pic when I was right up against the wall. It seemed to have gotten better as I back away. Also I showed with and without fogs. They light up the road very nice and distance is great. Time will tell as they break in more. Please let me know your thoughts!
Thanks for posting the photos. The cutoff seems pretty good. Is this the 35w hid kit?

-cW

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos. The cutoff seems pretty good. Is this the 35w hid kit?

-cW

Yes, I'm using a Xenon Supply kit with Premium Slim CanBus Ballasts. I ordered another set of H11R bulbs from a different manufacturer because I noticed their shield is covering a larger portion of the bulb which should cut down even more on the glare. I'm happy with these bulbs but I feel the cutoff needs to be a little sharper. So we'll see what they look like. One things for sure, I'll never get a vehicle with reflectors again! PITA

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I'm using a Xenon Supply kit with Premium Slim CanBus Ballasts. I ordered another set of H11R bulbs from a different manufacturer because I noticed their shield is covering a larger portion of the bulb which should cut down even more on the glare. I'm happy with these bulbs but I feel the cutoff needs to be a little sharper. So we'll see what they look like. One things for sure, I'll never get a vehicle with reflectors again! PITA
Are the new bulbs similar to these in the shield size?

http://www.hidconcept.com/h11r-blesk-hid-xenon-replacement-bulbs/

-cW

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wanted to confirm if the headlights on all 4th gen crv fit the same. I have been browsing hid projector headlights on ebay that have integrated led strips to install on my lowly 2015 LX.

The lighting is definitely lacking on the halogens and I don't want to be "that guy" who blinds everyone with hids in halogen housing. I have 35w h11 kit ready to go from a previous vehicle. Want to know the best headlight to go with.

Would consider touring headlights, but don't think they would work on the LX. So if the aftermarket ones work well with the LX electronics, then I'd go for that.

Example of one of the headlights.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/For-Honda-CR-V-2012-2016-Headlights-with-Angel-Eye-and-LED-Light-Bar-DRL-Lamp-/272106569339?nav=SEARCH

-cW

Any update on your setup? I have the 2016 EXL and would like to also replace my headlights with HID, but am pretty newb-ish about it. I hear the best way to get HID headlights is a full retrofit. Wondering if there's an easier at-home solution to do it. I was hoping it would simply be opening up the casing for my headlights and popping the different bulbs, but I'm probably fooling myself lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any update on your setup? I have the 2016 EXL and would like to also replace my headlights with HID, but am pretty newb-ish about it. I hear the best way to get HID headlights is a full retrofit. Wondering if there's an easier at-home solution to do it. I was hoping it would simply be opening up the casing for my headlights and popping the different bulbs, but I'm probably fooling myself lol
Yes, Retro fitting is the best choice for clarity and cutoff of course BUT it is also very expensive. For me, this setup works just fine. I've had the first set of H11R bulbs in for 2 weeks now and they are working out just nice. The color is great at 4300k and also the distance. I'm still going to try the new set I posted above because it seems they have a larger "shaded" area for a better cutoff. I hope to get them soon and I'll post new pics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered some 65w h9 halogens to modify to fit in my LB. Some other forum members recommended this over hids. We will see since it's about 40% brighter than h11.

The h11r hids were back ordered with hidconcept. And my kit only works with their ket type connectors.

-cW

1 - 20 of 47 Posts