Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded in my F150 Lariat for the CRV today. Way past due and glad to have it - but need a hitch to carry a couple bikes and an occasional garden trailer. Really want to find the most hidden Hitch assembly possible. Been looking at the Curt, Draw tite, etc, but none of their sites really show how much is exposed. Ideally I'd just like to see the receiver. Any suggestions or pictures of others that have put one on?

Thanks in advance!

Doug

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,786 Posts
Is the www.etrailer.com site helpful? Coming from an F150 I suspect you'll want a class 3 hitch, which frankly will look big on a CRV in comparison to an f150

Reactions: strimby

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Curt #13397........only part you see is the receiver, crossbar is completely hidden.

View attachment 134994

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
One person can do the install, but a second pair of hands will make the install really quick and easy. I found loosely attaching the middle of the hitch to the car helped with the lifting into place.(y)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Reactions: lmaxim

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got a Curt 13306, which was replaced by 13397 that crv383 recommended. Not sure what the difference is, looks identical.

I got it for the same reasons you mentioned. It's the most hidden I can find, and I wanted 2in receiver because I also came from a truck and already have 2in hookups. I never did end up installing it though because I eventually got another truck. If you were close by, I'd sell it to you for cheap, but judging by your username, you're in the Carolinas. I'm in California.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Maybe BBLee will be interested in your hitch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Curt #13397........only part you see is the receiver, crossbar is completely hidden.

View attachment 134994
I've always been a car guy before moving to the CRV so I don't have any hitch equipment. I feel like I can bolt on the Curt #13397. I like the ~$100 price. It seems the 2" is more sturdy but do I need that added weight one rthe 1 1/4"?

So now looking for a hitch bike rack for 4 bikes. Any suggestions? Definitely want tilt function so I can open the CRV back hatch.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The Curt website says their 2” hitch weighs only 1 lb more than their 1 1/4”. The 2” is overkill but it fits up closer the bumper.......noticeable gap between the receiver and bumper with the 1 1/4” receiver. Way more 2” ball mount options than 1 1/4” ball mounts. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Wonder why clicking on the attachment says “Oops! There was a problem.”

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are about to buy a CRV and I think I will try him hawing enough that they might toss it in. But the 2" will be a must.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I believe the Honda hitch is 1 1/4” only.........and very expensive along with the dealership charging a ton for labor. The money you save by going aftermarket will more than pay for the plug-n-play trailer light wiring harness, the hitch AND a small utility trailer with money left over.

I have approx $400 in the hitch, ball mount, light harness and 4’X8’ folding utility trailer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with crv383. Just do it yourself and just get them to knock more off retail. Its bolt on. No drilling. I just bought a 19 and got 11% off retail. See buyers price thread.

I'll get the Curt #13397 that you suggested. Thanks for the convincing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Read also about Curt`s warranty and the need for a stabilizing strap. I think I remember reading about it on the etrailer site.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts