Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
If there was a best whatever, there would only be one whatever on the shelf as the best whatever would put the less than best whatever out of business. Buy the weight oil shown on the oil fill cap under the hood. Look for the weight and API symbol on the oil bottle. I find both oil and filter at Walmart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, but my question is more about the quality of the oil filter.

I read some articles that say that Fram filters are not that good.
I also read that some of the OEM are made by Honeywell and are not that good.

Who knows of the best oil filters - Thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
8,187 Posts
You should go to BobIsTheOilGuy.com, and wile away a few hours reading the filter discussions and looking at cut-open filters. ? ⭐

I will say that I've used the Fram/Honda factory filters (part # ending in 02) for over a decade, without issue. The higher-end Fram filters are OK these days, too (but they cost more than the Honda filters from the online dealers!)

Whatever brand, don't get the cheapest!!!!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts

There are lots of “quality” oil filters. You can read articles until you are blue in the face searching for the “best”. With a lot of luck you will come across the “best filter” article first, but not likely. Be sure the “best filter” article is based on fact, not opinion. And by all means when find that “best” filter article, please share with us which filter is “best”.

In the mean time, while searching for “best” articles, change your oil filter according to the maintenance schedule with acceptable filter brands like Hastings, Fram, Purolator, Baldwin, Wix, K&N, etc., etc., etc. on and on and on. I’m willing to bet your ‘16 CRV will become old with lots of miles before you find “the best” oil filter.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
You should go to BobIsTheOilGuy.com, and wile away a few hours reading the filter discussions and looking at cut-open filters. ? ⭐

I will say that I've used the Fram/Honda factory filters (part # ending in 02) for over a decade, without issue. The higher-end Fram filters are OK these days, too (but they cost more than the Honda filters from the online dealers!)

Whatever brand, don't get the cheapest!!!!
I believe both the A01 and the A02 's filtering efficiency for particles around the 20nm size is really poor compared to almost any aftermarket oil filter. So while so many posters will only use the A01 instead of most brand name oil filters is beyond me.
Buffalo4
PS: Use any high quality oil filter and change your oil on the schedule dictated. or sooner, and use a very high quality oil of the proper specs, and quit worrying about the damn oil filter. The Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter is one of the highest rated and highest quality oil filters on the market. Do you really need one that good? (PS: I use that and sleep well ) :D

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
.........but there's a difference between "the best" and "one of the highest rated".....no??‍♂ (I'm being facetious)

·
Registered
470 Posts
We run Honda engines (same car, same engine) on 3 continents, same ambient temperatures. We use anything available 5w-XX where XX=20,30,40

Yet, have never had an engine related breakdown. In the USA, we use whatever AAP,Autozone dumps out at One Dollar/Quart blowout sales and we use that oil in Ridgelines, Passports, CRVs, Civics, Accords, Fits, Pilots

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
We run Honda engines (same car, same engine) on 3 continents, same ambient temperatures. We use anything available 5w-XX where XX=20,30,40

Yet, have never had an engine related breakdown. In the USA, we use whatever AAP,Autozone dumps out at One Dollar/Quart blowout sales and we use that oil in Ridgelines, Passports, CRVs, Civics, Accords, Fits, Pilots
I sure hope you are not a pilot with a small plane and just use whatever the cheapest oil that is available.!! :)
But, starting with a 5w is a lot better than starting with a 20w.

Using 5w40 oil in upper Alaska in the winter is not a good idea, regardless if it is on saie at Autozone, unless the CRV is kept in a heated garage when not in use. Probably not too many heated garages next to your favorite bar.
PS: I value a high quality specified type oil over a oil filter like a Honda OEM oil filter or other ones.
And, putting Honda air in your tires will not make them last longer or have better traction.
Buffalo4
PS: Honda WW fluid is also over rated.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
........putting Honda air in your tires........rotflmao, that’s a good one.?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Look at you tube videos where various people have cut open the oil filters from various companies such as Fram, perolater , Napa Gold and Wix and others ( the most I saw was a 9 filter comparison ), the worst filter bar non is FRAM, and the best are Napa Gold and Wix ( which are made by the same company ), and yes that is what I've used for years ( WIX ) and I also change at 5000 miles-people it's cheap insurance for your motor, why would you want to extend it out, especialy if you're not checking your fluids level on a regular basis ( I check my cars every weekend-tire pressure also ). It's why I have 218000+ miles on my 2004 Buick Rainier, and it doesn't burn or use oil, and the same can be said for our 2007 Mazda 6 ( 161000+ ). KEEP up the regular checks, and your routine maintenance, such as oil changes, various fluid changes as recommended, and please do use quality oils and filters, not the cheapest stuff out there. I just bought Valvoline 0w-20 for my CR-V, on Walmart.com (it runs $22.37 for a 5 qt, but if you purchase a mutli pack ( 3 or more ) the price was under $34.00 for 3- 5qt bottles, and you can do the same with Mobil oil also-check this out. I also purchase all my WIX filters (air, oil, etc. etc. ) from RockAuto, and save on them too. Just passing on tips from many a year of buying and owning many a vehicle-will be 70 next year, but still into cars, and these CR-Vs are good running SUVs; have owned Hondas in the past, and they have a very good track record, especially the motors!!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Yep, those youtube experts who cut open oil filters are real experts, at being on youtube, that is.
If you want to learn about oil filters ie: quality build, filtering, and flow do some research on your own, don't believe what others say they saw on youtube and accept it as gospel.
Many people have driven well over 218k (referring to pdwicks) miles using the Orange can of death, etc.
As I state many times, even some high end car OEM oil filters don't even have end caps, fiber or metal and yet many youtube actors diss Fram's orange can for using fiber instead of metal. Ignorance is bliss for those Internet cowboys!!
Yes, do use high quality oil with the specs of OEM, at the minimum, and change it regularly or according to the vehicle Mfg recommendations, which ever comes first.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I’ve never had a problem/issue with an orange filter. Got one on the V right now.?‍♂ Sure is easy to remove.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Fram filter of you tube fame is the cheapest filter Fram makes, so uninformed people just assume this is the only one they offer.

Fram makes some much higher quality filters and so do others.

There are no bad oils in the 0w20 class, so pick one in a bottle that has your favorite color combinations and live happily ever after.

Walmart offers both oil and filters at about the best price you’ll find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts