Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2014 CR-V EX-L which doesn't include the "official" Honda navigation system. I'm looking into buying an automotive GPS unit, most likely one of the newer Garmin units (I'm contemplating the DriveLuxe 50LMTHD). I've never owned an automotive GPS before this, though I do own a handheld Garmin GPS that I use for both hiking and turn-by-turn navigation. I want to upgrade to a dedicated car navigation unit.

My question involves the best way to mount a GPS (suction cup on the windshield, vent bracket, etc.), and where to mount it for access and visibility.

I'm curious as to how and where others who use an after-market automotive GPS unit have theirs mounted. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

--Larry

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I use the suction cup that came with my Garmin and mount it on the windshield right above the IMID screen.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use a bean bag as shown in the photo. That makes it easy to move from vehicle to vehicle and to reach to program. I've used the bean bag with a or 4 different GPS units over the years. 20160827_144503_resized.jpg

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've used Garmins for many years and I don't like them on the windshield. I keep them down on the console or lower dash. The last two vehicles I had had a convenient place where the dash and console came together but my CRV did not. I had to make a mount for my 16 CRV since there was no good place for it. I bought a smaller plastic solid white glass (that fit upside down on the front cup holder) from Dollar Tree and glued the suction cup to the bottom (it wouldn't stick on this one like it did on some others). I put the glass in the front cup holder and the plastic glass cover slid down to hold it secure. I then attached the GPS to the holder and plugged it into the accessory socket (the one in the console in my 16). It works well and comes on when I start the car and goes off when I turn it off. I experimented with several different sizes and glass sizes before I found the right one. I paid a little over $100 for a factory refurbished 5" Garmin (they have exactly the same warranty as a new one and they look new-I had one replaced under warranty a few years ago) and a dollar for the glass.

·
Administrator
3,293 Posts
Bean bags do wear and start sliding around.
If I hadn't opted for honda Nav, probably would have used google maps on phone, plus a ram mount suction cupped to the flat surface in front of the Imid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Know the thread is old, but wanted to comment that I use a Garmin Friction Dash Mount (010-11280-00). Very happy with it. Have used it i various vehicles including a class A diesel pusher motorhome. The Garmin stays put no matter what the vehicle goes through. Have use this mount of several years and with different Garmin GPS units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts