Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a tow hitch (Curt 13555) on my ‘08 2wd CR-V and noticed the left rear shock is leaking. Does anyone have an opinion on the best shock replacement? I will be doing some moderate towing, not near the 1500 lbs max.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I did some searching and it looks like you will probably need to buy the assembly, unless you have access to a spring compressor.
I saw several places that sold a pair of rear shock assemblies for about US $120.

I found a youtube video showing the removal of a rear shock assembly on a 2nd Gen CR-V.
About 4:20 is when he's actually removing the shock, after having unbolted it.
About 4:30 is where he's using a spring compressor

And I'd be tempted to replace all four.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some searching and it looks like you will probably need to buy the assembly, unless you have access to a spring compressor.
I saw several places that sold a pair of rear shock assemblies for about US $120.

I found a youtube video showing the removal of a rear shock assembly on a 2nd Gen CR-V.
About 4:20 is when he's actually removing the shock, after having unbolted it.
About 4:30 is where he's using a spring compressor

And I'd be tempted to replace all four.
Thanks, Racoon, but I’ve seen the videos on shock replacement for my 3rd gen CR-V and can probably do it myself. What I was really asking was what is, or might be, the best brand/model/spring combination for my car? There are probably myriad spring rates and brands of shocks out there and I was hoping that someone had some knowledge and/or experience that they could share.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Thanks, Racoon, but I’ve seen the videos on shock replacement for my 3rd gen CR-V and can probably do it myself. What I was really asking was what is, or might be, the best brand/model/spring combination for my car? There are probably myriad spring rates and brands of shocks out there and I was hoping that someone had some knowledge and/or experience that they could share.
Actually there is almost no options to choose from. It's only "get what you pay for". And you may have trouble finding the good shocks with springs included.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I think Tigris99 has it right.
I did find both Bilstein ($168 for each front, and $139 for each rear) and KYB shocks, but they were the bare shocks and you'd need a spring compressor to install them in your existing springs and hardware, or a shop willing to do it for you.
I also found two types of H&R springs. Both were a set of four springs, one set that raises the CR-V about 1.2 inches ($221 for the set), and one that lowers it by about 1.2 inches ($206 for the set). But just the springs, so you'd still need a springer compressor and shocks.
And with both of those options you'd be reusing all of the other mounting hardware, not a choice I'd be comfortable with.

From my favorite online Honda parts site, a complete shock/springs/bolts/spacers/etc replacement:
Fronts: $501 each
Rears: $223 each

I did not find any other options.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Do NOT get shocks with springs installed. 90% of the 'quick struts' out there have incorrect spring rates, inferior mounting hardware, just plan bad shocks, etc. The best thing to do is replace only the bare shock. Safe, quality spring compressors are available for rent or free from any AutoZone or O'Reilly store. If you don't feel comfortable using those, have a shop do it. Your car will last a lot longer if you use quality parts.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I saw that KYB was going to be offering complete "quick strut" packages for all four corners. But, they were not available when I needed them.

I went with the better Monroe Quick Struts on both of our 09s. Same spring rate, same ride, no issue with the struts, but the mounting hardware (bearing) is already rattling after nine months. So now I have to see if another manufacturer's mounting hardware will fit their struts. I don't mind replacing the springs because I've had springs break in Hondas before. They're not a lifetime item, and they sag as they get older.

Funny. The left rear strut always seems to be the one that leaks. That's what mine did.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Personally I'm not obsessed with purchasing anything that'd be considered "their very best".

For an 11 year old CRV I'd go to an auto parts store and discard BOTH their cheapest (and most expensive) shock from consideration.

Then cross my fingers and make a purchase from the remaining contenders - but for both front and rear shocks (they are all of simliar age and wear). Chances are very good they'll long outlast your towing V.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i did the monroe quick struts on all four and did it myself. pretty easy.

i have had them for over a year with no issues. made a big ride quality difference from the worn ones i replaced at about 100k miles and i had one that was making a noise that it fixed.

tom

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My front left strut is clacking quite loudly now from Monroe's lousy hardware. Not even 11 months and the hardware is shot to hell. I have Moog replacement parts on the way (upper mount and bearing), and a spring compressor on standby. I wish Rock Auto would let us leave ratings and reviews on parts, as I'd give the Monroe Quick Struts one star for the lousy hardware quality! It's not only extra money, it's lost time for me. I'm waiting for our other '09 to get noisier--the front already has a couple of familiar noises starting again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just installed a tow hitch (Curt 13555) on my ‘08 2wd CR-V and noticed the left rear shock is leaking. Does anyone have an opinion on the best shock replacement? I will be doing some moderate towing, not near the 1500 lbs max.
Carid.com seams to have a good selection. Bought a cheaper front strut assembly from them to see if that was the cause of a rumbling problem. So far the cheaper strut assembly is doing alright. I will keep it in until it goes bad. I usually stick with the name brand stuff, but theirs may also be tuned towards a certain conditions (sport = stiffer, etc.). If you do it yourself it is very cost effective. Got KYBs for my wife's 2007 Honda Civic. You can also check the reviews online.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For longevity and ride comfort, OEM shock and spring assembly, just more costly. Otherwise, H&R and KYB setup should suffice.
I have the lowering version of the HR, stiffer suspension but much better handling in the corner, and the car no longer wander at high speed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For longevity and ride comfort, OEM shock and spring assembly, just more costly. Otherwise, H&R and KYB setup should suffice.
I have the lowering version of the HR, stiffer suspension but much better handling in the corner, and the car no longer wander at high speed.
Sounds good. Are there any alignment issues? If not, it sounds like a good way to go if you like a sportier ride like we both do. They do cost more I would think?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whenever you change any suspension component, alignment will be needed. Also if your car have a good number of miles, an alignment is highly recommended. Cost wise, well that dependent on how handy you are with diy and having the tools to do it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I didn't update this thread, but I dumped the front Monroe struts on my '09 for a set of KYB Ready Struts and everything is now much quieter, and the ride is more supple. I had first changed out the Monroe's mounting hardware with the Moog but it made only a small difference. Had I known, I would have gone with KYBs on both of our '09s.

Our other '09 still has the same Monroe struts and they are making all kinds of noise now--loud clunks when the wheel is turned, different rattles, etc., all of which were on the not-quite-a-year-old Monroes I got rid of in my '09, although not to this extent. I know I will have to pop the top strut nut with the impact once or twice to tighten it up, as other owners of the Monroe QuickStrut on other brands of cars have had the same problems.

I should stress that it's not the Monroe strut itself, but something in their spring or hardware causing the noise.

The good part of all this? I can change struts on both sides, in the front, in under an hour. If I decide on doing a mild lift kit once our lousy weather seasons have passed, it will be a quick job and a trip to the alignment shop, and I'm done. (I already have installed new adjustable upper control arms for the rear, and have camber bolts for the front, ready to install if needed.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Never try the Monroe, read a few review about it quality and decides not to go for it. Since I like the lowered look of this car, I went with the lowering route. I believe Sac damper is good as well. My wife '16 Pilot have them, ride is smooth and well dampened over bump. Worth a try, rockauto have them instock, last I checked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts