Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used 16 exl, 45k miles, doing my first oil change after dealer did 3 freebies. Mobil1 and Mehle filters got my Volvo over 225k before I sold it, so that's my oil. What's my filter? Thanks, and no fighting.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CRV
9 Posts
Im using "Honda" filters, Blue, come with crush washer reasonable, I am also using Mobil 1. I try to use OEM filters in my stuff, seems to work fine for me. Many many years ago I used to use Fram, at that time cheap was what I wanted, but had bad luck with them, so went to OEM. Its worth it.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,050 Posts
Purchased in lots of 6, genuine filters from online Honda dealers are a bargain.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
236 Posts
Jim, I believe you told us your V is a CPO vehicle under warranty. No one will ever question your choice if you stick with Honda blue.

Reactions: PQ Pops

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I concur with Honda filter. Been using them for years on all my Hondas.
Ho
Jim, I believe you told us your V is a CPO vehicle under warranty. No one will ever question your choice if you stick with Honda blue.
Honda it is, then. Any difference between the 15400-plm-ao1 and ...-ao2, or am I splitting hairs? thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Used 16 exl, 45k miles, doing my first oil change after dealer did 3 freebies. Mobil1 and Mehle filters got my Volvo over 225k before I sold it, so that's my oil. What's my filter? Thanks, and no fighting.
The filter tests I saw on Youtube has me buying NAPA Gold filters. Check out actual tests and see what makes sense for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ho

Honda it is, then. Any difference between the 15400-plm-ao1 and ...-ao2, or am I splitting hairs? thanks
15400-plm-ao1 has been discontinued for a while and was considered the better filter. It was made by Filtech. The ao2 is made by Honeywell which also owns Fram but makes the filters to Honda specs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
15400-plm-ao1 has been discontinued for a while and was considered the better filter. It was made by Filtech. The ao2 is made by Honeywell which also owns Fram but makes the filters to Honda specs.
Last filter I bought at the Honda dealer was a 15400-RTA-003. I believe it is a Mehle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
edit someone beat me to posting info about the Honda A02 filters by Honeywell.

I personally use Parts Plus PH2876EX that comes in a black box since i run full synthetic oil for no more than 5K miles or 6months which ever comes first. At first i used Purolator's synthetic line of filters but i can get 3 of the PPs for the price of one Purolator so that means more frequent oil changes for about the same money.

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi FWD
61 Posts
Ho

Try to get Honda Genuine A01 if you can it's made by Filtech and Honda Genuine A02 from what I read was made by Honeywell (Fram)

But me I use Full brand generic A01 on my '13 EX-L and my '97 Odyssey never had any problems.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,477 Posts
Opinions on oil&filter, tires and batteries is kind of like a particular part of back side of human anatomy..... EVERYONE has one. :ROFLMAO:

Reality: any lubricant or part that conforms to Honda specification is fine. There is likely little real variation in terms of your vehicles performance and reliability among all your choices or preferences... at least not that can be measured or observed objectively.

Of course lubricant and part manufacturers are motivated to make small distinctions look like large leaps of technological grace by said manufacturers in an effort to market and reap sales from owners who do their own maintenance. Amsoil being one of the most insidious brands in this regard in my view (Amsoil is not bad, but it is also not the "grail" of oil).

There is a reason vehicle manufacturers provide detailed lubricant and part lists for routine maintenance in their owners manuals... to remove all guess work in the context of vehicle reliability. :)

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I've been using Fram Tough Gard 7317 and for about 60k miles now (currently sitting at 95k). Everything I've read about that filter on bobistheoilguy.com has been continuing to use that filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all, I am actually going with the Bosch Premium, as Pep Boys had it available, close, and on sale. Seems to be a 20-micron filter, and a name I know. Will spin on soon and let you know over the course of a few thousand miles how it seems to hold up.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
305 Posts
In my 50 years of motoring I've used OEM filters, owner recommended filters and even cheap filters; I've NEVER had an engine problem related to oil. Same thing with my oils.

With that said I once (around 1982 - plus/minus) had one independent garage installed oil filter burst on start up; plus I once had one of those 90s Toyotas that were subject to oil sludge (I changed its oil and filters at 2000 mile intervals).

While using the very best (oil and/ or filter) may make you feel better it's not necessary (provided they meet the OEM specs - which I believe they all do).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks all, I am actually going with the Bosch Premium, as Pep Boys had it available, close, and on sale. Seems to be a 20-micron filter, and a name I know. Will spin on soon and let you know over the course of a few thousand miles how it seems to hold up.

you still have a pepboys with retail? all the ones in Cincy have gone to repairs only.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts