Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
you still have a pepboys with retail? all the ones in Cincy have gone to repairs only.
A couple by me. They've cut back retail floor space for 'back-room' storage though, so I don't know if that's to lean into service-only or an acknowledgement of the online-order/pickup world. I still like to browse parts!

·
Registered
3 Posts
OEM and Wix are good filters. I used them both. Just stay away from Fram.
As a retired tech/ service writer (Honda) I use WIX XL filters on both my Crv's. There are some good videos on You Tube where a variety of filters are tested and cut apart to show the filter media, etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
OEM and Wix are good filters. I used them both. Just stay away from Fram.
Frams are cheap. All you have to do is feel the difference in weight of the new filters; Honda OEM is much heavier. It's kind of like feeling an OEM Honda thermostat compared to aftermarket ones like Stant which are so light. I use Purolator One oil filters which are solid and well made. Their standard red filters are cheaper but not rated as high as the blue "One" filters and since I use full synthetic oil, I prefer the blue ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Used 16 exl, 45k miles, doing my first oil change after dealer did 3 freebies. Mobil1 and Mehle filters got my Volvo over 225k before I sold it, so that's my oil. What's my filter? Thanks, and no fighting.
But an "extended life" filter like Mobil1 or K&N. I've used both. Filter media is the same but the gasket holding the filter against the engine block is a different material made to go 15 or 20K miles. I change every year at the same time

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im using "Honda" filters, Blue, come with crush washer reasonable, I am also using Mobil 1. I try to use OEM filters in my stuff, seems to work fine for me. Many many years ago I used to use Fram, at that time cheap was what I wanted, but had bad luck with them, so went to OEM. Its worth it.
Honda Blue filters are made by FRAM (Honeywell). The are the same as the low end cheap FRAM filters. Use Mobil 1 filters or Bosch Premium or HAMP (blue) or K&N.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,050 Posts
Honda Blue filters are made by FRAM (Honeywell). The are the same as the low end cheap FRAM filters.
Actually, NO. They are NOT the same as the "OCOD" Fram. They are equivalent to the higher end "Tough Guard" line. (Specific Honda specs for oil bypass, etc). On BobIsTheOilGuy.com, they have been proven to be effective for 20,000 miles.

Some have said that they achieve that long life by being less effective when new. (filter 95% rather than 99%)

++++++++++++++

Folks that have a hang-up about using FRAM filters can try to obtain the higher end Filtech OEMs. (factory part # ends in 01 rather than 02) Some folks prefer the longer filters specified for the S2000.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CRV
9 Posts
I would say that the "HONDA" filter, IS built to Honda's specifications. If you disagree please post your reasons why Honda would sell an oil filter that was not up to the level of filtration that they would require for their engineered power plants. My guess is Honda puts out the specs, "what ever" company says they can build it to Honda's specs for X amount of dollars. My opinion is it does not really matter who builds it, as long it meets Honda's requirements. Honda sells it as theirs and knows it meets the requirements.
I do not buy the old adage, they are all built the same, just different color paint and a label.
Like I said in my original post, it has been years and years since I used a Fram filter, maybe they are better quality, my personal thoughts are they are not. Like mentioned above every one has an opinion, they are kind of like $$s

21 - 29 of 29 Posts