Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is most reliable and best performing year for the CR-V ? I have owned 2000, 2003 and 2006. The '06 was the best and most trouble-free but I recently rode in a 2013 and thought it was waaaaaay nicer.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I've owned 1999, 2006, and 2014 CR-Vs. All of them EX models, and the 1999 and 2006 had manual transmissions.

Other than regular valve adjustments the 1999 was problem free.
The 2006 I bought used, and the previous owner didn't maintain it very well. After changing all the fluids, and a minor issue with the tailgate latch it was problem free.
The 2014 I bought new and it now has about 44,000 miles on it. It was trouble free until earlier this year, when it started having the VTC actuator rattle on cold startup. Through this forum I found out there was a TSB on the problem, and scheduled an appointment with my local Honda dealer. Because I reported the problem after the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty had expired, and just a few months past the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty I had to pay for the repair. They also discovered that the timing chain tensioner was bad, so they replaced that along with the actuator. Total cost was a little under $800.

I would not hesitate to recommend a 2013/2014, but with any used car purchase knowing the maintenance/repair history of the vehicle is important. If the previous owner kept all their receipts that would be a huge bonus!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've owned 1999, 2006, and 2014 CR-Vs. All of them EX models, and the 1999 and 2006 had manual transmissions.

Other than regular valve adjustments the 1999 was problem free.
The 2006 I bought used, and the previous owner didn't maintain it very well. After changing all the fluids, and a minor issue with the tailgate latch it was problem free.
The 2014 I bought new and it now has about 44,000 miles on it. It was trouble free until earlier this year, when it started having the VTC actuator rattle on cold startup. Through this forum I found out there was a TSB on the problem, and scheduled an appointment with my local Honda dealer. Because I reported the problem after the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty had expired, and just a few months past the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty I had to pay for the repair. They also discovered that the timing chain tensioner was bad, so they replaced that along with the actuator. Total cost was a little under $800.

I would not hesitate to recommend a 2013/2014, but with any used car purchase knowing the maintenance/repair history of the vehicle is important. If the previous owner kept all their receipts that would be a huge bonus!

Good luck!
Is your 2014 noticeably quieter and smoother to drive at highway speeds than the previous ones?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just recently bought my (only crv) 2014, nothing to compare it to. Decided on that year as it's the last to have a normal transmission vs the cvt type.

Many people are happy with their cvt type trans, but some are not. That I think is the biggest decision to make re the various gens. There are of course other differences, too numerous to list, but the trans isn't really something you can replace with a different type, like a new head unit, or newer wheels / tires, or etc etc. etc.

On the other hand, as Racoon points out, the VTC actuator problem is an expensive one, if you have to do it. My exl has almost 51k on it and does not have that problem, knock wood. At this time, I'm very happy with my '14 gen4, it's a sweet sweet ride.

Cheers

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've only owned 2008 and 2014. The Gen3 had soul but it was a dog, reaching 100 mph was a mission impossible. Gen4 does it easily, is much better to drive, better fuel economy but I would not take it out for a spin for no reason. Gen3 - every day. Must've been the panorama roofand excellent leather seats. And memories, of course.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a 2007 EX-L with 127 plus miles. Knock on wood, I have only had general maintenance performed. I bought her at 63,000 plus miles. I have taken many road trips and I especially like traveling to southwest Texas to the desert. So few cars on those highways. Getting up past 90 mph was so easy. This car is so aerodynamic, I felt like I was going 40 mph.

The person who owned this car before me took very good care of it. Had all of the paper work. She only sold the car because she didn't want to take it to her new job in NYC. I lucked out! ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a '14 CRV EXL last year at 32k. Love it. Only had oil changes done so far. Not very good milage around town but freeway gets about 350 miles on a full tank. Have not rotated the tires. They rotate every time I drive, right? ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts