Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local dealership recently recommended this service at a price of $136.00

I have been following the Honda Maintenance Minder system for maintenance and this item does not appear and I have not found any useful information. I have attached a copy of the Dealership recommendation page.

My question is if this is necessary and if not done will it result in a potential warranty issue in the future?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Dealerships are notorious for making up their own maintenance schedules when they don't feel the factory schedule milks enough money from you. You can safely ignore it, and failing to do this will not effect your warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would disagree. It is correct that it is not required for warranty purposes. But it is a good preventative measure against carbon buildup, especially in direct injection engines.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
There is no evidence that the L15B7 suffers from carbon buildup (not all DI engines do), $136 every 25k is not a trivial expense, any issues up through 60k would be covered by warranty, and I'm not sure magic juice sprayed into the intake would actually work; the standard treatment for carboned valves is walnut-shell blasting, not a solvent spray.

Some cursory Googling shows that Honda set up the injector to lightly spray the intake valve with some of the fuel charge; this should help keep the valves "washed off"

·
Registered
751 Posts
While, the printout from your dealership looks like something official, you need to ask yourself why is the dealer recommending a service outside of the manufacturer's service recommendations. IMO, if it's not recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, you can be pretty sure the dealership is just trying to up-sell you on performing additional and probably unnecessary maintenance. While you're at it, they probably want to replace your $8 cabin air filter and charge $75. At least that's what my local Honda dealers are advertising.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
That mileage is a joke and to milk money out of customers. BG is good stuff but not needed at those miles. And limited usefulness on direct injection. Nothing a bottle of good injector cleaner and a can of brake cleaner or can of seafoam and a rubber hose cant do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts