Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, did anyone here upgraded brakes to 4-6 piston large brakes like stoptech, brembo or willwood? I like the look but do not like to use brake calipers covers which are much cheaper way to go.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
why spend the money? Gain nothing unless your racing or towing a serious amount of wait (which then should have trailer brakes anyway). Other than that it's all looks.

Save the money for something better. Take a trip, buy a new toy or something that will actually be more enjoyable than the few days before you stop really paying attention to the pretty red calipers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
The latest gen brakes are KILLER good. It will be difficult to find anyone on here upgrading to anything but a slotted/drilled rotor at best.

You want new calipers just for looks? You could remove and complete disassemble them for good powder coat, or leave them on an carefully paint them with caliper paint to get nearly the same result. Just smaller. And they wont say Brembo. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
RL_calipers_on_9th_gen-04.jpg

If you keep your eyes open at the local pick n pull you can grab the 4 piston front calipers from the 2nd gen Acura RL type SH sedan. From there I'm sure you can find an adapter online from fastbrakes.com with the correct rotors for an upgrade. I picked up a pair of calipers about a month ago for about $90.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 126063

If you keep your eyes open at the local pick n pull you can grab the 4 piston front calipers from the 2nd gen Acura RL type SH sedan. From there I'm sure you can find an adapter online from fastbrakes.com with the correct rotors for an upgrade. I picked up a pair of calipers about a month ago for about $90.
That’s a good idea! I will keep looking for those Acura RL brakes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That’s a good idea! I will keep looking for those Acura RL brakes.
Thought you wanted brand name aftermarket for looks? Those Acura units would need to be cleaned and painted, provided you can find an adapter first.

And I have to ask @schaf70 ...are those Acura units actually in service? Cause that pic has no evidence they were used yet and there's no adapters out there for the CRV that I know of. Got a link and pics showing the complete installation in use?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't show any direct bolt on adapters for newer CRVs, but if the newer generation CRV uses a front brake system that shares parts from another model, then the in stock adapters may work.
http://www.fastbrakes.com/category_s/53.htm

I bought the calipers because I've always wanted a set and we were going to try to adapt them to my son's 01 Accord, but he's changed his mind and we're going to hang onto them for his next project - either a TSX or a Prelude.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't show any direct bolt on adapters for newer CRVs, but if the newer generation CRV uses a front brake system that shares parts from another model, then the in stock adapters may work.
http://www.fastbrakes.com/category_s/53.htm

I bought the calipers because I've always wanted a set and we were going to try to adapt them to my son's 01 Accord, but he's changed his mind and we're going to hang onto them for his next project - either a TSX or a Prelude.
Just to be clear, there are not any known caliper adapters for the CRV and the Acura calipers shown were never mounted on a CRV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Probably true, but if the CRV uses the same caliper as another model then there may be an option available. You would have to cross-reference caliper part numbers to be sure.

If not, then with a lot of careful measuring, you could either make some adapter brackets or have some made. You would also have to find a rotor the fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Probably true, but if the CRV uses the same caliper as another model then there may be an option available. You would have to cross-reference caliper part numbers to be sure.

If not, then with a lot of careful measuring, you could either make some adapter brackets or have some made. You would also have to find a rotor the fit.
Saving for some like those below:

https://www.carid.com/2017-honda-cr...tted-brake-kit-1343282183.html?parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|Touring

1 - 10 of 10 Posts