Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my 2005 Subaru Outback has proven to be too unreliable and we've decided to cut our losses and get rid of it now before we plunk more money into what I guess is either a lemon or a really cranky car. The CR-V is at the top of the list at this point.

My need for a small SUV/station wagon stems entirely from the fact that we own two very large Newfoundland dogs. We don't often take both dogs somewhere, but if we do we usually have one ride in the back seat and the other in the cargo area of the Subaru, just so they have their own space. There's no way the cargo area alone will be large enough for our big guy (145 pounds and gosh knows how long), so we're looking at at least folding the seats down, if not flipping them up just for him. With both I suspect we'd have to flip the seats up.

Just wondering if anyone has some experience with this situation (multiple big dogs) and thoughts about how this might work.

I suppose the Element is really the car made for this situation, but I'm really not nearly as interested in it as I am in a CR-V.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you looked at the Elements? I am an owner of both CRV and Element. Each serves a purpose, but you will never, ever find a better large dog vehicle than an Element!!! BTW, I am a member of the EOC, also!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Unfortunately my 2005 Subaru Outback has proven to be too unreliable and we've decided to cut our losses and get rid of it now before we plunk more money into what I guess is either a lemon or a really cranky car. The CR-V is at the top of the list at this point.

My need for a small SUV/station wagon stems entirely from the fact that we own two very large Newfoundland dogs. We don't often take both dogs somewhere, but if we do we usually have one ride in the back seat and the other in the cargo area of the Subaru, just so they have their own space. There's no way the cargo area alone will be large enough for our big guy (145 pounds and gosh knows how long), so we're looking at at least folding the seats down, if not flipping them up just for him. With both I suspect we'd have to flip the seats up.

Just wondering if anyone has some experience with this situation (multiple big dogs) and thoughts about how this might work.

I suppose the Element is really the car made for this situation, but I'm really not nearly as interested in it as I am in a CR-V.
I carry 3 med. size labs with me at all times. With the rear seats folded they have plenty of room to lay.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Uh, labs are nowhere near the size of a newfie. I think you're better off with the Element for newfoundlands. Cr-v only has about 40" of clearance in the back to get a dog in and a newfie would probably hit it's head.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just looked up some pics of newfies. They are big. The only dog I've actually seen that could relate to that size would be my friend's Irish Wolfhound. So picturing two of them in a new CRV I would say it could work, but very squeezed. I would Have to agree with Serj though. I'd be worried about they're heads when they jump up in the back. Personally, I have an Aussie, Black Lab and a Golden which fit just fine in my 03 and my mom's 07.

I'm not too big on the look of the Element either (although I do LOVE the interior). However, if your main concern in this purchase is for large dogs, I'd have to go with the Element.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Have you looked at the Elements? I am an owner of both CRV and Element. Each serves a purpose, but you will never, ever find a better large dog vehicle than an Element!!! BTW, I am a member of the EOC, also!!!
For interior space if you only have dogs in back go with the E.....lack of carpet also makes for easier cleanup of dog hair.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interestingly enough... I just compared the 2010 CRV and Element on Honda's website. It turns out that the Element only has 1.7 square feet more max cargo capacity than the CRV. And the CRV has a half inch more head room in the 2nd row. But I'm not sure if that correlates to how high the ceiling is to the floor. I think it might be ceiling to seat.

Now I don't know what 2 cubic feet looks like distributed over 70 or so cubic feet, but after having compared the two I'd say it's up in the air.

I like the exterior of CRV better, BUT the Element does have more cargo space and a pretty COOL interior. CRV gets better gas mileage rating. I guess it depends on how often you're going to drive your dogs around.

·
Registered
302 Posts
For interior space if you only have dogs in back go with the E.....lack of carpet also makes for easier cleanup of dog hair.
i would also suggest this.. its all raw plastic(mostly) materials on the back,
i wish they do have E back in our country(P.I.) back then i used to transport
my pitbulls everytime i go for a run,shows,stroll in the park.. but most of the
time im w/ two of my oldest dog from my kennel both weighs not less than
85lbs since theyve been like babies in my kennel..LOL! my gen1 V could handle
them but one thing i cant is cleaning up after them, saliva..hairs..etc :(

but if you fold the middle chair, you could fit the two dogs then...

good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Subaru actually look into ergonomics for pets when entering and exiting their cars and their seal belt restraints. I think the forester especially. I thought it is a very good thing that a manufacture is doing so since pets are consider a family member ;p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts