Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to say thanks to everyone. About 6 months ago my 2001 crv blew a timing belt. I assumed that I had bent valves and was going to have to replace or repair the engine. Big $$$$. The crv sat in my driveway for that whole time while I figured out what to do with it. Thru this forum I found out that all may not be lost and set out to replace the belt and reset the timing. Every question that I may have had, has already been asked and with this forum as a resource I decided to have a go at it. While I consider myself "mechanically inclined" I am by no stretch of the imagination a mechanic. I took it apart, replaced the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner, lined up the timing and put it all back together and it did not start. Back to the forum to figure out what I may have done wrong and had another go at. I found out that I had not installed the belt correctly and it had jumped a tooth and the timing was out enough to keep it from starting. I did it all again and wonder of wonders it started. It ran a little rough at first but that may have been the old gas that had been in the tank for the last 6 months. Now it has a new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, oil change, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and wires. I drove it to work yesterday and it ran perfectly. Getting nearly 35mpg. No leaks, no creaks, and no unusual noises. It was kind of satisfying to get it back on the road and have it running better than ever. On a 17 year old car with 320000k on it. Thanks again to everyone that posted the questions and those that responded with the technical know how to fix them. I couldn't have done it without you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.