Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to this, and just purchased a 2006 CRV SE two weeks ago and I'm already looking into how to modify it. I would like to put some more meaty tires on it, but I don't want to lift it, just yet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
On my 2000 CRV, I went from 205 70 15 to 215 75 15, with the stock rims and no lift. A much taller tire and a tad wider. Any wider might have rubbed, but the 75 series did not rub.

Also did the same with my current ’09 CRV without issue.

·
Registered
442 Posts
On your gen2 215/70/16 or 225/65/16 should fit without any issues on stock rims (assuming you have 16 inch). general grabbers AT2 are very good all terrain tires and there are a no of gen 1 / gen 2 CRVs with them. I have firestone destination AT on my crv and it has been good so far.
You may be able to go higher size but remember the tires get heavier and with the 4cyl in the crv there is lack of HP/torque and you might see hit in fuel economy and poor acceleration.
Do a quick search here and you should see posts with larger tires on Gen2

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thanks vhercules. Is there any way to get a little more torque and hp on that or is that what I'm stuck with

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't think there is any simple or effective aftermarket solution to get more torque / hp on these engines. nobody really mods them from a performance aspect :), suspension lifts, larger tires and cosmetic changes are the more common mods on these vehicles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang alright. With a small suspension lift and tires I should be able to get by in light off road situations?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
With snows or all terrain tires a 4WD CR-V would be fine in any light off-road conditions.

You don't really need bigger rubber unless you WANT it (for looks).

Just remember, a 2006 has open differentials, that's the limiting factor. And, you gotta know when to TURN OFF the VSA...

·
Registered
442 Posts
With good all terrains the crv does surprisingly well off road. Like carbuff said VSA is detrimental in deep snow sand and best to shut it off in such situations.
Ground clearance is more of issue while going over ruts and bumps in mild trails. With gen2 you have around 7.5 inches of clearance I think which is decent, throw in taller all terrains and you can go to 8 inches or so without a lift.
I recently went over 5-6 km trail of just stones, gravel, mud and uneven terrain .. did surprisingly well. What scared me was not to get a big stone or rock damage differential or oil pan under :)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Also, Rickman, which tired did you use? I may use the same ones
Chris. At the time I went with Michelin CrossTerrains A/T, but I honestly did not feel any safer, get any longer life out of them, and really felt my wallet took a hit because of it. I truly believe Michelins are overrated due to their great advertising, but that’s just me.

I now have BFGoodrich (Rugged Terrain) A/T tires and absolutely love them, but there are tons of great tires out there. I’m sure the tires you mentioned would fit.

I would never go any bigger due to the low torque/HP rating on CRV’s and especially a Lift Kit that sucks even more torque and changes the Honda Engineering and reliability which I love.

Would a wider 225/75 15 fit??, not sure.............

·
Registered
115 Posts
215/75R15 should perfect fine, you don't want to go over and stress out other parts and have problems in the long run. BFG Rugged A/T or KO2 are best choices, or some Firestone Destination AT and Gen Grabber AT2 will take you anywhere. Update us with your choice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wait...didn't the Gen 2.5 CRVs switch from 15in to 16in wheel because of bigger brakes in the 2005/2006. I thought the 2002-4 had 15in wheels and were switched to 16in in 2005/6 for larger brakes...

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
Wait...didn't the Gen 2.5 CRVs switch from 15in to 16in wheel because of bigger brakes in the 2005/2006. I thought the 2002-4 had 15in wheels and were switched to 16in in 2005/6 for larger brakes...
Correct. So, you should be fitting 16s.

I have my snow tires mounted on 16" Acura wheels (see my sig pic)

·
Registered
135 Posts
2006 OEM tires are 215/65/16. If you go up to 215/75/16 you will have rubbing unless you lift it &/or take a hammer to mod/bang in/fold some parts of the fender. Also, increasing tire width also causes an increase in height/diameter.

I have a 2006 & recently bought 215/70/16 Grabber AT2s & installed them before lifting it and they fit perfectly without any modification needed. 220/70/16 would fit but they tend to be a tricky size to find (I know they don't make grabbers that size).

I am doing a lift, but still decided against increasing the tire width at this point because I prefer not to take a hit on MPG & HP so I stuck with OEM 215 size. I might go bigger on my next set of tires whenever that could be.

I'm not sure how much, if any hit in HP & MPG I could get since I'm only lifting 1.5-2", any more than that & you'll strain more than just MPG & HP. I'll even argue that increasing tire size & a more aggressive tread will negatively influence MPG & HP way more than is impacted by lifting the suspension by a couple inches. Certainly upgrading shocks/struts won't have any negative impact whatsoever.

I really detest VSA, unless, perhaps its raining to prevent hydroplaning, but I strongly believe that in snow, ice & mud it takes away control & it will cause an accident. If you think about it, if there is any snow or ice on the road & under your tires, your tires do not have traction with the road which causes the VSA to apply brakes. Braking in snow & ice = no control especially if you're trying to move forward &/or turn and not slow down. Trying to drive in those conditions with VSA on means that brakes are applied off & on most of the time your driving. Its the sketchiest feature of my V and I'm just psyched it can be turned off. I lived in the backwoods snow-belt of VT for a decade & almost crashed a few times driving in snow & ice until I remembered to turn it off. Once I did it was like night & day and suddenly I had control over my car again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pic, sure. Good pic? Hell no!!!
Unfortunately, this is the only one I have at the moment and it doesn't even show the wheel clearance. Any future pics I post will be after a lift so it won't show just how well they fit with stock suspension and 215/70/16s.
Sorry.
My DD V is up on blocks waiting for replacement springs to be flown over from the outback. Been a week now, so I've been getting more and more antsy about it.
IMG_4729.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts