Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I wanted to see if bikes would fit standing up in the back with the front wheel off. This to me is the ideal way since they are secure inside the car, but you don't lose all your back seat space necessarily. I loved that the 2nd gen Honda Fit could do that. I have a 56cm cyclocross bike. First I tried just sticking the whole bike in laying flat, and that worked great. That's how I usually do it, since it has disc brakes and I prefer not to remove the front wheel (to avoid moving the brake pads).

With the front wheel off, and back wheel toward the rear of the car, it's just a bit too big to fit standing up. If I dropped the seatpost 3 inches, it would definitely fit. You can see my seatpost is pretty high. This is with the rear tray in the lower position. I did try with the fork toward the rear also. There's less vertical space in the middle of the car, but I'd still be able to fit if the seatpost dropped down a couple more inches. I wouldn't have to totally remove the seatpost.

So hopefully this helps anyone wondering. I'm pretty pleased specifically with the available height in the back, along with the overall cargo capacity.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought my '17 CR-V this past Saturday and took my bike in it on Sunday. I had to take the front wheel off and lay it flat. My bike is a 2015 Trek FX 7.2 22.5 frame and I could not stand it up vertically at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what are you using to fasten the Bike inside the car so that it doesn't move? which hook in the car are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what are you using to fasten the Bike inside the car so that it doesn't move? which hook in the car are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just was testing out the fit, so I didn't really use anything to hold it. Usually I see people use a fork mount like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Racks-T970-Block-Bicycle/dp/B000QJC5F8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497008909&sr=8-2&keywords=bike+fork+mount

and screw it to a length of 2x4 or flat board so the bike stands up. Some cars you can screw the mount directly into the back of the folded-down back seat if you didn't mind the holes. I didn't really look to see if there's a good spot on the CRV seats for that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my '17 CR-V this past Saturday and took my bike in it on Sunday. I had to take the front wheel off and lay it flat. My bike is a 2015 Trek FX 7.2 22.5 frame and I could not stand it up vertically at all.
I have a 48 cm women's road bike. I was hoping I would be able to stand the bike up with the front wheel off if I decided to purchase the CRV. I've been easily able to do this with my 2009 RAV4 without folding down either of the 2 backseats. Wonder if I would be able to do it with only one of the seats folded down. I've been very spoiled with the RAV4.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here are some photos showing my road bike (54cm) and mountain bike (medium/27.5" wheels) fork mounted inside the cargo area. Bikes barely fit, but with the cargo board set in the lower position it works. My mountain bike has a dropper seatpost and must be in the lower position to fit. I do not have to lower the seatpost on my road bike. I typically carry my road bike laying flat with both wheels mounted for local rides. It is nice to have the option to fork mount when traveling on trips with one bike and lots of other cargo items as shown in the one photo. I use a hitch mount when carrying multiple bikes or my dirty mountain bike. It is amazing how much you can load in the CRV, which makes it nearly the perfect vehicle for my needs.

Road3.jpg Road4.jpg mtb1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Love seeing the pictures of the bikes in the back, I was wondering if either of my mountain bikes would fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most of the serious bikers and triathletes I know drive minivans so they can carry their bikes upright. I can currently carry mine in the back of our Outback without taking the wheel off. I had hoped I could get it upright when I get my CR-V, but no big deal if I can't. I have a Thule hitch mount for multiple bikes that I'll also use on the Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, great discussion. I'm considering buying a CRV and have want to mount my bike upright inside the car like some of you are doing. For those of you who are able to do this could you measure what the maximum height of your bike with the front wheel off? The frame size doesn't really take into account the height of the saddle. For example, on mine with the forks on the ground, the height from ground to the top of the saddle is 35 inches. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried putting my mountain bike (rim brakes) inside the CRV trunk yesterday, and was disappointed. With my civic and accord (both +10 yrs old), I was able to take off the wheels, and comfortably fit it in the trunk widthwise, all without lowering the seats. The CRV trunk is narrower, and I end up having to lower a seat (though I can at least leave the rear wheel on when I do so). Now I'm having to shop for a hitch rack just to be able to reclaim the rear seats.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I tried putting my mountain bike (rim brakes) inside the CRV trunk yesterday, and was disappointed. With my civic and accord (both +10 yrs old), I was able to take off the wheels, and comfortably fit it in the trunk widthwise, all without lowering the seats. The CRV trunk is narrower, and I end up having to lower a seat (though I can at least leave the rear wheel on when I do so). Now I'm having to shop for a hitch rack just to be able to reclaim the rear seats.
I have never put a bike in a vehicle without lowering seat and removing at least one tire. all of those are adjustable and take a few seconds to do. I have installed a hitch and bought a bike rack that works in that hitch. I would suggest that you get a 2 inch receiver installed and match up a bike rack(with trays for front tire). Then I can load up back of CRV with stuff and have bikes available for use even though LOCKED into bike rack which is LOCKED into hitch. no matter which roof racks are noisy and it travels into cabin. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
97 Posts
With my 2010 CRV I can put both my 26" wheeled mountain bike and my daughters 24" wheeled mountain bike side by side upright just by removing front wheels on both. Kind of disappointing that the big deal about more interior room with the seats down blah blah blah and a larger vehicle cant hardly take an upright bike any more?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have never put a bike in a vehicle without lowering seat and removing at least one tire. all of those are adjustable and take a few seconds to do. I have installed a hitch and bought a bike rack that works in that hitch. I would suggest that you get a 2 inch receiver installed and match up a bike rack(with trays for front tire). Then I can load up back of CRV with stuff and have bikes available for use even though LOCKED into bike rack which is LOCKED into hitch. no matter which roof racks are noisy and it travels into cabin. just my 2 cents.
I'm happy to remove wheels and bike seats just so I can fit the bike in the trunk of the car (without lowering the back seat). I've done this with my Accord and Civic, two cars whose external measurements are narrower than the CR-V. It baffles me that the same can't be done with the CR-V. I have to lower the back seat and put the bike in lengthwise. The CR-V must have thicker walls, in order for the interior width to be smaller, and the exterior to be wider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brooks - thanks for the pics. I'm not quite ready to shell out the ~$1700 quoted by the Honda dealer shop to have a hitch installed on my '17 Touring model, and roof mounting isn't quite practical unless I carry around a step ladder due to the height of the vehicle. I've already contacted my preferred local B&M bike shop of choice and will be getting a fork mount soon to screw/bolt on a nice piece of 2x4 that's been sitting around the garage since Hurricane Irma. Total price no more than $25 depending on the fork mount that's compatible with my particular RockShox model.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Brooks - thanks for the pics. I'm not quite ready to shell out the ~$1700 quoted by the Honda dealer shop to have a hitch installed on my '17 Touring model, and roof mounting isn't quite practical unless I carry around a step ladder due to the height of the vehicle. I've already contacted my preferred local B&M bike shop of choice and will be getting a fork mount soon to screw/bolt on a nice piece of 2x4 that's been sitting around the garage since Hurricane Irma. Total price no more than $25 depending on the fork mount that's compatible with my particular RockShox model.
I had a UHaul hitch installed for $135 including the hitch, labor and tax. I did not install a wire harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What would really help this discussion would be if someone could measure from the floor to the top of the roof with the floor panel in its lowest position. I have a HRV with the "magic seat" and I can put my 56 cm road bike in the back with the front wheel off standing up. Very curious as to what the inside dimension is within the CRV? Anyone?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 48 cm women's road bike. I was hoping I would be able to stand the bike up with the front wheel off if I decided to purchase the CRV. I've been easily able to do this with my 2009 RAV4 without folding down either of the 2 backseats. Wonder if I would be able to do it with only one of the seats folded down. I've been very spoiled with the RAV4.
The 5th gen CR-V has quite a bit more cargo space than the RAV4. With the seat lowered a bit your 48 cm bike might even fit standing up without taking the front wheel off.

·
Registered
973 Posts
What would really help this discussion would be if someone could measure from the floor to the top of the roof with the floor panel in its lowest position. I have a HRV with the "magic seat" and I can put my 56 cm road bike in the back with the front wheel off standing up. Very curious as to what the inside dimension is within the CRV? Anyone?
It's about 40 in. Before I installed the hitch, I slid my road bike between the front and back seats by first taking off the front wheel. It was tight but fit. I think mine is 54cm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts