Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been covered ( I looked). Mine is a 2001 CRV, the rear door opens to the side & the spare is mounted on it.
Anyone know of a bike rack that will adhere safely to the tire or of a way to attach one to the door?
Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tried one with my small framed mountain bike when I first started carrying the bike to a trail. Yakima, purchased from REI. The ride up Mt. Eagle Mtn. went without incident. It was dark. The ride home, interstate, the bike shook like crazy all the way home and I was concerned it was going to fall off. Guess I could have added straps to secure it better. Mine was on an 05 CRV with the spare mounted to one side. I didn't like it. the next week, maybe 10 years ago, I was googling bike racks and came upon 1UPUSA and purchased one that very day, had a hitch added to my CRV, and never looked back at my bike shaking on the rear of my car ever again. I have since upgraded to a 13 CRV, added hitch mount, and used same 1UPUSA rack. It just provides a much more secure bike mounting surface. I started with an $800 Rockhopper 29er, then 2012 Camber Comp, 2013 Camber Carbon Pro and now a Cannondale Carbon Scalpel SI with 27.5 wheels. I did have to lower the mounting bars for the smaller wheels, but it still just works. My point, I just did not trust the spare tire mount and there is no way to secure the bike even for a quick trip into a rest area on the road if you go anywhere.

·
Administrator
3,434 Posts
Plan B would be a tow hitch mounted rack. You likely will need an extender to get clear of the tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Now the other posts are giving me pause... I'll look into what you've found- I don't plan on dirt trails much, bumpy roads, but I'd like that option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. It just got complicated, requiring more research. I don't have a hitch, but for peace of mind, it may be time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the point about an extender. Do I need a Honda hitch, or are there suggestions about where/what?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hitch and tray rack for it. Dont need to drop the coin for a 1up rack (nice but expensive). I have a Kuat rack that fits my road bike, trail bike or fat bike without adapters.

No you dont need a Honda hitch. Just find a class 1/2 hitch for your year CRV. I paid $120 for mine, took about 30 minutes to install cause I had to drop my muffler loose from its hangers.

The get a small extension, think mine is 6". And done.

Here's a pic from the other day. Had my fat bike so I could carry my cordless chainsaw and such to do some trail work. I won't ever use another rack besides hitch mounted tray style. And Ill never a dirt cheap one either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
488 Posts
Hi there, you do not need a Honda hitch unless you want to go with OEM parts. There are many quality trailer hitches that are way less expensive. Here are some ideas on the trailer hitches for the CRV:
2001 Honda CR-V trailer hitches at CARiD
As for the bike rack options that are installed on the hitch, we've got some options for you as well:
Hitch Mount bike racks at CARiD
If you still consider bike rack options that attach to the 5th wheel, you may be interested in some of these:
2001 Honda CR-V spare tire mount bike racks at CARiD
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
196 Posts
DO NOT ATTACH A BIKE RACK TO THE REAR DOOR OR SPARE TIRE!!!

I have seen so many tailgates and tire mounts ruined by that bad decision. Simply put, the rear door and spare tire mount are not designed to take the weight of anything extra on them, especially something that adds a crazy amount of leverage like a bike rack does. They will bend most of the time, but sometimes they can break off, and then you will lose your bike, and your spare tire.

Also keep crash safety in mind. If someone rear ends you, it's better to have them hit a trailer hitch than your rear door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts