Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2007+ CRV as an option other than a Element.

One big attraction for me is that in a Element you can put a road bike inside the cabin with very little issue.

Can anyone chime in if they are able to do this in a 2007 CRV?

I have had roof racks and hitch racks but I like the idea of being able to haul my bike inside my vehicle without having to lay it down.

I do not have any issue with removing the front wheel. Just want to hear some first hand knowledge before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can not answer for 2007, I had a 2005. Taking the front wheel off I could get my 29er (mountain bike) in side the cargo compartment but had to do so at an angle. A second bike may or may not have fit. At one of my local riding locations there is an Element SC owner but he has both rear and top racks to carry bikes, never in side. I think he prefers to not get his vehicle dirty inside, I bet it is carpeted unlike the normal Element. I wanted an Element for years but never got one. I have been told the fuel mileage is terrible. I had to replace my 2005 (or repair a transmission issue) so I purchased a 2013. Have yet to put my bike in it, but I do allow my wet muddy 80lb Siberian Husky to ride in the back, so it's not a dirt issue. I have a tow hitch installed and use a 1UpUSA bike rack, I have had it for 5-6 years now and it's still just like new.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
2 bikes fit in, no problem, but! They are lying on their side one on top of the other. So no!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the info. I have been looking online and have see a couple of different options but it looks like it is possible to mount the bike inside with the front wheel off.

I hope someone has first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Appreciate the info. I have been looking online and have see a couple of different options but it looks like it is possible to mount the bike inside with the front wheel off.

I hope someone has first hand knowledge.
I put our two mountain bikes in our 2011 CR-V. The front wheels have to come off and I had to remove some little rubber bumpers from the seats to get them to fold down further to get the bike as far forward as possible. The handlebars on my bike (17" frame) barely fit in the hatch opening road but a road bike probably has lower bars anyway and is probably shorter so you may not have to remove the rubber bumpers.
There is still room to use the single rear seat.

I use adjustable straps looped through the seat belt anchors to hold the bikes upright, probably good for more than 1 G (which even my lowered/decambered CR-V will never see). ;)

boB

·
Registered
72 Posts
How about a Ford Transit Connect? You can get those pretty reasonable that are a few years old. You could put four bikes, without removing front wheel and standing up, in the Connect. Also along with camping gear ect ect.

If you're a hard core cyclist, A connect is a given.....nothing better I would think, for cycling transport.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Transits are not a bad idea but I ended up with s 2007 EX-L. I will have to take the driver rear seat out of the V after the holiday trip to allow my bike to stand up in it with the wheel off but it will work.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Lying them down is easier than anything you can come up with. No wheel removal, no seat adjusting, just put them in and go! :cool:

Not sure why all the fuss! :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Laying down for me I dont care for as if I drive around I wont be able to put much else in the back. Standing up in my situation is ideal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts