Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
With the right trays, its no problem to get the bikes on the roof, unless you are a shorter person.
It was never an issue of being shorter, when I was driving for 8-10 hours to get to my biking locations the bikes come off the vehicle much cleaner being behind than up on top. You also have less drag and buffeting from cross winds with the bikes lower on the vehicle. JM2C :cool:

·
Registered
681 Posts
You have a point. I have a hatch style rack on my GTI. I just like the look of a roof mounted rack. To me, its more secure (when used correctly) and it keeps the bikes from rubbing on each other when carrying more that 1 bike.

As far as keeping the bikes clean, Performancebike.com has covers that keep road grime off of the bikes. They have them to fit both road and Mtn bikes.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=4682&item=30-0310&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

But to each his own. If you have found a rack that you like, use it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
hitch mount is the way to go.
roof bike racks are hard to get at even if you're tall, not to mention if your bike is heavy.

you can buy hitch mount racks that swings down or away to the side so you can open the hatch without unloading the bikes. i have a hitch mount rack that lowers so i can open the hatch without removing the bikes. works pretty good.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
A hitch mount is good... but you can't open the hatch then. I need something for daily use on/off.
Thanx for comments, if anyone has pix, post em up.

While you can't lower the one I have easily with the bikes on, it does allow you to lower it without them on. I personally like the look of roof racks also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another suggestion would be to remove the front wheels (assuming you have quick release axles) and stand the bikes up in the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took the rear seats out of mine for now. Wife and I don't need them and nobody ever ride w/ us so....

What I do is take the front wheel off. I have a piece of 2x4 that has a bike fork clamp on it. Attach that to the fork to stabilize the bike. Then I take a tie-down strap to lock it down. Since I get the bike muddy, I have PVC matting laid out. Works well in my local area.

For times when I need to go on trips, I have a hitch rack system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How easy is it to put on a hitch receiver under a CR-V? I have a Thule 3 bike hitch mount rack that fits a 2" receiver and I even have a "universal" 2" receiver and brackets that I took off my old minivan, but I don't know if it will fit under the 2009 CR-V EX I have from looking down there and seeing the only mounting threads so far apart and the one on the passenger side seems half-covered by the muffler. Would I have to take it to a hitch place and have them figure out how to install one? If so would a 1 1/4" size be better? (I have a 4 bike 1 1/4" hitch rack too.)

·
Registered
720 Posts
How easy is it to put on a hitch receiver under a CR-V? I have a Thule 3 bike hitch mount rack that fits a 2" receiver and I even have a "universal" 2" receiver and brackets that I took off my old minivan, but I don't know if it will fit under the 2009 CR-V EX I have from looking down there and seeing the only mounting threads so far apart and the one on the passenger side seems half-covered by the muffler. Would I have to take it to a hitch place and have them figure out how to install one? If so would a 1 1/4" size be better? (I have a 4 bike 1 1/4" hitch rack too.)
if you have the proper tools and an extra pair of hands to help you - it's not that hard to install a hitch on the new crv.
it's always best to buy a hitch that's made specifically for your vehicle so you can tow or carry things properly and not damage your vehicle.

yes, the muffler needs to come down a little bit to install the hitch. you just need to remove it from the rubber hanger and use a jack or jack stand to hold it up while you install the hitch. i cant remember the exact time it took me to install mine - somewhere around 30 mins. to an hour i think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info. I got some great tips on hitches and receivers from other threads here, just need to decide which one is best now..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took the rear seats out of mine for now. Wife and I don't need them and nobody ever ride w/ us so....

What I do is take the front wheel off. I have a piece of 2x4 that has a bike fork clamp on it. Attach that to the fork to stabilize the bike. Then I take a tie-down strap to lock it down. Since I get the bike muddy, I have PVC matting laid out. Works well in my local area.

For times when I need to go on trips, I have a hitch rack system.
What year CRV do you have? I just posted a question about removing seats from a 2007 to increase cargo space and/or create an emergency sleeping space when the weather makes camping questionnable.

I normally haul my bicycles on a Thule T2 hitch-mount rack that works great but sometimes I'd prefer to haul them inside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
photo.jpg

I use both roof and rear racks when I need to carry 4 bikes. I carry a small plastic caravan step which makes loading the bikes onto the roof much easier. The rear rack has the disadvantage of making boot access difficult but it's really easy to load/unload.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recommend a rear hitch bike rack, although it will cost more. The trailer hitch is handy if you ever want to tow a lightweight (<1500 lb) trailer. I recently bought a 4-bike Thule rack for the back, and it works quite well. Much easier than a roof-mount system, and it hauls more bikes! And, you never have to worry about forgetting about bikes on the roof as you pull into your garage. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts