Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Did you pay for an extended warranty? Nope. So it's 8 years old, way out of warranty duration and no matter the brand, problems can arise at that age.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think it IS very common actually ... our 2010 EXL w 80k miles has that issue, along with the oil consumption, so one more major issue not covered by Honda and we'll have the freaking trifecta!

Too bad because it's a beautiful, well-kept car otherwise. Getting Honda to stand by their product seems to be a loosing battle, unfortunately, as they'd apparently rather sell new CRVs.
You're right. I can see Honda becoming another Chrysler in a few years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, first post here, I've been reading a lot on here the last few weeks I've been searching for a small used SUV. The CR-V was top on the list until one day I came across an ad that said "No AC" I contacted the owner and he said "probably just needs a recharge, I really don't know for sure" After some research I learned about "black death". In the last 3 weeks I've been looking (pretty much on Craigslist from private owners) I've found FIVE different CR-Vs that have black death.

I found a nice 2003 the other day that the AC worked good on but the fear made me pass on it. Now I'm thinking first gen. 99-01, Nothing for sure yet but it's obviously harder to find an older unit in good shape.

My main question is how wide spread is this defect in the AC system? I didn't think much of it until I found so many with this issue.

Is there any way to check or test for this or does it just blow up one day?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Well I have a 04 honda crv and i just replaced the ac compressor with a new. To cut out all the extra stuff like black death. So if you find a good honda crv and are unsure if it was fixed. If the ac still works just replace the ac compressor and you will be ok.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had both, the G3 CR-V and Civic A/C clutches replaced. CR-V under warranty and Civic by an independent shop, €200 parts and labor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2006 is in the shop for Black Death.

When I bought it the AC didn't work and when I had it looked at the answer was the whole unit needed to be replaced. I didn't replace it because 1. I didn't know about Black Death and 2. My old Mazda didn't have A/C for six years so I didn't want to spend the money knowing I could live without it. (5 months before death)

Two days before the CRV fell prey my belt started sounding odd, we thought the transponder was loose. The day I was going to bring it into the shop it sounded worse and I thought it would make it since I lived close.

Did not. I lost all power on the highway. It's a 1500 repair.

If your A/C is not working get it checked out. Or if you're looking to buy an older CRV and the A/C is not working, have them check it out.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
If your AC wasn't working then you had the problems you state months/yrs later things are a little off.

The black death you people are calling it (just a failed AC compressor, happens in every make and model vehicle at some point) means just turning the AC off and not having AC if you don't want to fix it.

The problems you described are not part of black death, your AC was already dead then you AC compressor clutch failed so it didn't free spin anymore.

Shouldn't have been some huge repair unless you wanted your AC working again. Just replacing the compressor clutch would have gotten you back on the road. Or could have put another compressor on it and just not recharged it. Without being charged the compressor won't cycle so no issues with contamination getting into it.

People get too scared of things they read on the internet without any actual clue what is going on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a 2008 CR-V since around 2012. The AC has not worked for most of that time. We had the compressor replaced at one point, which helped for a little while, but it failed again pretty soon afterwards. It's also been recharged a few times. I've heard about the notorious Black Death, but have no idea if that's the problem, or just a persistent leak that none of the mechanics have ever found, or some other issue. I'd love to hear any suggestions on how to get it working again without having to replace the whole system. Or even how to diagnose the problem. The various garages we've taken it to have all sounded a bit clueless when it comes to AC.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
The evaporator could be leaking.....it’s buried in/under the dash. Can be a challenge to find a leak in the evaporator. If the evap needs replacing, it’s a good idea to replace the heater core as well, since it is also buried in/under the dash as well.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
For those of us that have no idea what this "black death" is, here's a good explanation.
👍👍 Too many are confusing compressor failure with black death. The clutches on both of our compressors went bad on our '09s, within less than a year of each other, with similar mileage. That is not "black death." That was a bad AC clutch actuator; I opted to get the compressors replaced since the labor was not much more, and I'd have a fresh system.

Many cars are sold with non-working AC; those are not "black death" either (unless they're a 2002-2004 CR-V, where they might have suffered from "black death").

The only flaw is that the article shows 2002-2006 model years, when it really only affected 2002-2004 for the most part.

For the OP, I'd stick to a 2005 or later CR-V and not worry about it...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts