Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered but could not find a thread about it. I have a 2018 touring, owned a little over 2 months, with 2100 miles on it. I see that both exhaust tips have a lot of black soot (film) . CRV runs great, no problems at all. Gets about 31 MPG all around use. I only use top tier gas. What would cause this and should I be concerned ?? Thank you

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Don’t think I’ve ever seen any exhaust pipe that wasn’t black. Normal.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
All of our other non-direct injected vehicles, including EFI bikes, have black exhaust pipes.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
maybe a black exhaust tip is needed.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Is the OP referring to the “inside of the exhaust pipe”?........or “outside on the chrome tip”? The title and the body, of the thread, seem to be 2 different things.

·
Registered
892 Posts
May be worth checking all of your intake connections. May have a boost leak somewhere causing it to run rich. Or could be the other problem that everyone has.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Since the running rich situation has positively been identified over the Internet in a forum, take it to the dealership and have it fixed.:whistle:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ya if it was only that easy for all these poor guys having dilution issues. Cant believe Honda still doesnt have a fix yet. FFS it's nothing more than swapping ECMs with updated programming (and they likely could reprogram if they gave dealerships the proper equipment and instructions)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
If I really liked them, I think I would take it somewhere and try to get it re-tuned. It would ruin your warranty most likely, but it wouldn't self destruct.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Submit your programming code to Honda.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry if this has been covered but could not find a thread about it. I have a 2018 touring, owned a little over 2 months, with 2100 miles on it. I see that both exhaust tips have a lot of black soot (film) . CRV runs great, no problems at all. Gets about 31 MPG all around use. I only use top tier gas. What would cause this and should I be concerned ?? Thank you
In my 43 years of owning 6 brand new GM cars (all lemons) and 7 brand new Hondas (all excellent quality), 8 cyl, 6 cyl and 4 cyl, all of them had black soot in the exhaust. All of the cars which had chrome or polished exhaust tips showed the soot more prominently. Not to worry, what you are seeing is normal. My Hondas have been more reliable cars than the GMs. By the way, all the GM cars basically fell apart by 20,000 miles, piece by piece. All of my Hondas have carried me through without problems, anywhere from 109,000 to 289,000 miles. Happy driving!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.