Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX-L Lunar Silver
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is the Blackstone Analysis for the first CVT transmission fluid (HCF-2) change. These are good numbers. The magnet had some filings, but not excessive. Honda 2018 CRV EXL stock.
Blackstone First CVT Analysis Redacted.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
How much did the report cost, Does the car drive any different, because of the report, and any worries? Are you going to do the same with the rear diff, or you did, as well the Engine oil, and if so can you post all three on here? Will the car preform better, what can one do if for example:

Aluminum is in the engine 15, is it too much, too little, the right number, does anyone else have a trans report? are their numbers higher/lower? What do the Dealerships say? Be interesting to see if our V at 42K Plus compared to a fully reported car, if one wants a comparison when the trans-MM pops on I'll save the Oil for someone if they want to report the oil.

Just thoughts about this out loud

·
Registered
978 Posts
It sounds like Honda definitely built this CVT right!

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
5,887 Posts
It sounds like Honda definitely built this CVT right!
They certainly appear to be ahead of the competition in the CVT space and staying there too.

Honda was not exactly an early adopter into CVTs, and I think them taking their time and actually working through the evolution of CVT design before proliferating CVT use has paid dividends for Honda here.

I do think Honda had an early realization that CVTs perform optimally when the actual engine that delivers strong and wide torque across the range of driving. Poorly matched engines with suboptimal torque curves in the market (in a CVT context) has been a cause for many consumer complaints and apprehensions about CVTs.

Now, if they could apply that same design rigor and outcome to their ongoing challenge with AC compressors.. that would be fantastic. Seems like AC compressors come back and bite Honda every now and then in their designs. I imagine the continued evolution of refrigerants is throwing a monkey wrench into design and reliability since that is about the only thing evolving in vehicle AC systems other than lower impact on fuel economy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
How much did the report cost, Does the car drive any different, because of the report, and any worries? Are you going to do the same with the rear diff, or you did, as well the Engine oil, and if so can you post all three on here? Will the car preform better, what can one do if for example:

Aluminum is in the engine 15, is it too much, too little, the right number, does anyone else have a trans report? are their numbers higher/lower? What do the Dealerships say? Be interesting to see if our V at 42K Plus compared to a fully reported car, if one wants a comparison when the trans-MM pops on I'll save the Oil for someone if they want to report the oil.

I have done many blackstone lab analysis and about $30 a pop. it used to be 3 test for $60 not sure if the still do that or not. they send you a kit for free if you ask and then you pay and send it in with the oil sample. To garner anything a person really needs a virgin sample of HCF-2 to compare. a virgin sample may already have metals in the fluid. You can pay a little more and get a TBN as well.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
I have done many blackstone lab analysis and about $30 a pop. it used to be 3 test for $60 not sure if the still do that or not. they send you a kit for free if you ask and then you pay and send it in with the oil sample. To garner anything a person really needs a virgin sample of HCF-2 to compare. a virgin sample may already have metals in the fluid. You can pay a little more and get a TBN as well.
thank you much appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

You got the cost earlier. Testing doesn't make the car run better, but it lets me know how its doing. I tend to coast a lot down hills and to stop signs, and I was a little concerned what that was doing to the CVT. Apparently not much.

I compare my numbers to the numbers at the far right and see if they are in the ballpark for other vehicles. jadmt posted the results for new HCF-2 and that helps in determining what is changing and what is wearing. Thanks go to jadmt for the post.

Yes, I did my engine oil, but it was not a full run of miles, so wasn't germane to help this forum. May do it at the next oil change which will be the full MM distance. Yes, I have fuel dilution in the engine oil, but only to the limit of the 2% specification, so I don't worry.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You got the cost earlier. Testing doesn't make the car run better, but it lets me know how its doing. I tend to coast a lot down hills and to stop signs, and I was a little concerned what that was doing to the CVT. Apparently not much.

I compare my numbers to the numbers at the far right and see if they are in the ballpark for other vehicles. jadmt posted the results for new HCF-2 and that helps in determining what is changing and what is wearing. Thanks go to jadmt for the post.

Yes, I did my engine oil, but it was not a full run of miles, so wasn't germane to help this forum. May do it at the next oil change which will be the full MM distance. Yes, I have fuel dilution in the engine oil, but only to the limit of the 2% specification, so I don't worry.
actually I think it helps on engine oil even if you only changed at 50% etc. Especially if you paid for the TBN test. Lets people know they are changing oil way too early because I have found no matter how many miles they say you can run longer between the next change :).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually I think it helps on engine oil even if you only changed at 50% etc. Especially if you paid for the TBN test. Lets people know they are changing oil way too early because I have found no matter how many miles they say you can run longer between the next change :).
The oil was fine...but the fuel was 2% (spec is <2%) and the flash point was lower than desired. Neither of these worry me, but this was after only 2,000 miles. I changed at this mileage because I could smell gas on the dip stick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They certainly appear to be ahead of the competition in the CVT space and staying there too.

Honda was not exactly an early adopter into CVTs, and I think them taking their time and actually working through the evolution of CVT design before proliferating CVT use has paid dividends for Honda here.

I do think Honda had an early realization that CVTs perform optimally when the actual engine that delivers strong and wide torque across the range of driving. Poorly matched engines with suboptimal torque curves in the market (in a CVT context) has been a cause for many consumer complaints and apprehensions about CVTs.

Now, if they could apply that same design rigor and outcome to their ongoing challenge with AC compressors.. that would be fantastic. Seems like AC compressors come back and bite Honda every now and then in their designs. I imagine the continued evolution of refrigerants is throwing a monkey wrench into design and reliability since that is about the only thing evolving in vehicle AC systems other than lower impact on fuel economy.
Honda manufactures its own CVTs,they are a more reliable than the Nissan Jatco unit(these are actually terrible)Honda has little issues with these.I had mine serviced @ just under 30,000ks.Very reasonable cost @ $169 @ the local Honda dealer.

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
123 Posts
Honda manufactures its own CVTs,they are a more reliable than the Nissan Jatco unit(these are actually terrible)Honda has little issues with these.I had mine serviced @ just under 30,000ks.Very reasonable cost @ $169 @ the local Honda dealer.
From a mechanical point of view. What does a service to a CVT entail..?
Edit: NVM. I figured it out. Its a fluid change. I thought it was something more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From a mechanical point of view. What does a service to a CVT entail..?
Just is what is called a ‘spill & fill’.Never,never a flush!Any dealer worth his salt should know this.Always use Honda ‘HCF-2’ CVT fluid.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi. Attached is my Blackstone report on my 2012. You might want to compare stats. Pochie
Thanks, Pochie! Just did. I may have to pay for the TBN next time. This was a short oil change for me, but I did learn that I get some fuel in the oil after only 2k miles. I'll just keep checking the oil monthly and see where this ends up. I'll probably do another oil analysis after the MM says I need oil. That will give me a good comparison point. Of course I'll change it if it goes too high on the dip stick...:(

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just is what is called a ‘spill & fill’. Never, never a flush! Any dealer worth his salt should know this. Always use Honda ‘HCF-2’ CVT fluid.
"Flush" is a word with at least two meanings. 1) Honda definition of a flush is to drain, fill, run it through the gears three times. Requires 12 quarts of HCF-2 for a Honda flush. 2) the flush that service centers try to sell you is a pressurized flush. This is definitely not recommended by Honda.

·
Registered
978 Posts
"Flush" is a word with at least two meanings. 1) Honda definition of a flush is to drain, fill, run it through the gears three times. Requires 12 quarts of HCF-2 for a Honda flush. 2) the flush that service centers try to sell you is a pressurized flush. This is definitely not recommended by Honda.
Actually, Honda just says that a flush is unnecessary (according to their official position statement and that a single drain and refill is sufficient -- with the exception of removing improper fluids; however, I have the invoices from the Honda dealership stating that the dealer does a complete flush service using fluid exchange equipment. The 3X drain and refill method is not typically done at dealers -- but is a DIY type of service. The only issue is if an independent shop uses a flush chemical that is not approved by Honda; however, the dealer or licensed autocare center would only use approved parts. I would just let the dealer do their thing ;)

Reactions: joggernot
1 - 19 of 19 Posts