Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months a go my '09 EXL started sqeaking so I put on a new belt and it stopped. It started squeaking soon thereafter though and I just put up with it. It was a gates belt so not a generic junker. Finally got tired of hearing it so did a test by squirting plain water out of a bottle onto the belt. It made it stop squeaking. I decided to buy a Carquest "no squeak" belt and for 2 days no squeak. Now it is squeaking again! I have a company vehicle so the CRV is a weekend-er, but I'd still like it not to squeak.

Any ideas? Tensioner pulley is my first guess if not the belt.

·
2,206 Posts
Yup. If it starts again, it's probably the tensioner pulley bearing.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The tensioner pulley will make something like a howling/growling sound when the bearing wears out. However, if it is too worn and tilting off-axis, it could misalign the belt slightly and perhaps that might cause a squeak.

I had a noise issue and replaced my tensioner pulley just prior to a long road trip (before 150,000 miles). It didn't cure the noise, but I noticed that the pulley was spinning way too freely. A new bearing will have some resistance as it turns, from the grease inside the bearing as well as the rubber shields riding on the inner race. So, I'm glad I replaced it nonetheless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, if it comes back, I will look at the tensioner. Sure isn't much room to work there. Is it a bear to change?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I didn't find it hard at all--I removed the engine mount, moved the power steering pump out of the way, removed the belt and there is plenty of room to work in there. The only gotcha is that you will have to remove the entire tensioner since there is a nut behind it that the pulley bolts grabs onto, and that will fall out from behind when you remove the bolt. You could try to fish around and get that nut back in there, but it saves a lot of time to loosen an extra couple of bolts to pull the entire tensioner off. You'l just need a good floor jack and a section of 2x4 to support the engine underneath the oil pan when you remove the engine mount.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You need to look carefully at the belt and it's position relative to ALL the pulleys, not merely the tensioner pulley. As noted above, if a pulley bearing (either tensioner or idler) gets worn, it usually will cause the pulley to tilt a little which would mis-align the belt and eventually cause it to squeal/squeak. Another way is to remove the belt & check the tensioner & idler pulley for bearing play by moving it axially. If there's noticeable movement, replace the pulley & bearing assy. Also, the tensioner pivot may also be worn that would cause the pulley to be mis-aligned with similar results. With the age/mileage of the vehicle, it's not unusual for one or the other to be bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
About 6 months a go my '09 EXL started sqeaking so I put on a new belt and it stopped. It started squeaking soon thereafter though and I just put up with it. It was a gates belt so not a generic junker. Finally got tired of hearing it so did a test by squirting plain water out of a bottle onto the belt. It made it stop squeaking. I decided to buy a Carquest "no squeak" belt and for 2 days no squeak. Now it is squeaking again! I have a company vehicle so the CRV is a weekend-er, but I'd still like it not to squeak.

Any ideas? Tensioner pulley is my first guess if not the belt.
Tensioner change it out ,mine did it off and on when wet ,when cold.i changed mine out with a gates tensioner and it's been great for 15k miles

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wife's Jeep is in for some work and she has been driving my CRV for a few days. Hasn't squeaked. Comes and goes. Will wait for spring and change out tensioner. Not bothering me enough to do it in the winter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wife's Jeep is in for some work and she has been driving my CRV for a few days. Hasn't squeaked. Comes and goes. Will wait for spring and change out tensioner. Not bothering me enough to do it in the winter.
Dont let it go to long if the berring starts to wear the wheel could start to wobble then you will have to change the belt again like I did

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would it a bad idea to just change the pulley itself? Not being lazy, but it has to be easier.

·
2,206 Posts
You could do that - it would also give you a new bearing. But if the reason it went bad was misalignment, then you would just be consigning the new pully to the same fate again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Decided to not be lazy and bought a new Gates tensioner assembly. Should only take me an hour to replace.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally replaced the tensioner assembly. What a PAIN! No darn room to do anything easily. Had to remove PS pump and move some crap out of the way, but I did NOT have to remove the motor mount that all the videos reference. I was able to get my socket with short extension and the back bolt, but all of it is done by feel with a little cursing to go with it.

No more squeaking!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts