Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blindzone Glare Elimination Mirror Method: This may be old news to some but I want to share this important no cost safety feature with the forum. How to set your vehicles mirrors to nearly eliminate 'blind spots'. Feel free to share this possible life saving pdf file. Happy Driving, jimbob

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/blindzoneglaremirrormethod.pdf

(copy and paste the link into your browser to go to the nhtsa.gov site to view)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,819 Posts
I've used this method for years. The only downside is glare from headlamps of following cars, at night. (That's because you can SEE them!)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use this method in my Camaro, because it has HUGE blinds spots. It takes some getting used to, but now I really like it.

Every time my wife drives my car, however, she moves them back to the traditional position.

·
Registered
248 Posts
learn something new everyday....but I'm still using the old school method with the round "bubble" mirrors attached to my sideview mirrors. While it eliminates all blind spots completely, it takes a bit of focus and getting used to, since everything is also quite small.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I have been doing this for about the last 10 years. It takes time to get use to it and it sometimes requires you to move the mirrors back in and down if your parking in a tight spot. Overall it works great!

Rob

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,101 Posts
Unfortunately, most drivers feel more comfortable being able to see at least a small portion of the side of their own car in the side mirror...as useless as this is in real driving, but it gives them the peace of mind that their mirror is not pointed way out in "left field". It is comforting when they can see a familiar view.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,819 Posts
Unfortunately, most drivers feel more comfortable being able to see at least a small portion of the side of their own car in the side mirror...
I recommend that the mirror be positioned to show the side of the car IF YOU LEAN OVER.

That way the driver can get that sense of orientation if they desire. :doublethumb:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Blindzone Glare Elimination Mirror Method: This may be old news to some but I want to share this important no cost safety feature with the forum. How to set your vehicles mirrors to nearly eliminate 'blind spots'. Feel free to share this possible life saving pdf file. Happy Driving, jimbob

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/blindzoneglaremirrormethod.pdf

(copy and paste the link into your browser to go to the nhtsa.gov site to view)
unfortunately with crv- right side does not extend enough to set it up this way
I have been doing for a few years now

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is the method I figured out from day one of driving over 40 years ago. The so called traditional method never made any sense to me, but I guess being of a mind that eventual led me to engineering may have helped me see what made sense (to me at least).

·
Registered
7 Posts
One thing I noticed with the BSI/BSM is that it only seems to notify you when a car is already inside your rear quarter panel zone, whereas it seems like other manufacturers pick up vehicles before they pass by the rear of the car.

Am I wrong? Or is there a setting that can adjust this?

·
Registered
865 Posts
One thing I noticed with the BSI/BSM is that it only seems to notify you when a car is already inside your rear quarter panel zone, whereas it seems like other manufacturers pick up vehicles before they pass by the rear of the car.

Real question, if your mirrors are adjusted correctly on your V then shouldn't the mirror be good enough? Try the blindzone glare elimination method.

I've found it covers the blind spot perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,057 Posts
Yep!
This has been bugging me for a year and a half. Luckily the BSI system picks up the unseen lurkers.
Yep and Yep on the BSI. Really bothered me about the set point limits on the right side mirror until I realized I was "old schooling" it and just needed to get modern with the safety features. :)

Only thing about the BSI that bugs me is sometimes it will beep when I am making a turn and it detects a sign or other pole as I go by (more so on the left side then the right side... probably situational though) ... but I'm used to that now and I'm OK to have it be overly aggressive on the alerts, rather then under aggressive. The cross traffic warning when in reverse though.. I am a little more cautious with... because I have seen it give both false positives and negatives a few times.. which of course is why the HU plainly tells us to use our rear view camera and mirror and not depend 100% on the cross traffic sensors.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For the heck of it I tried this new setup this morning on the 2005 Sienna for my 33 mile freeway ride into work. It works great while on the freeway and I really like it. It eliminates the blind spots as described. The only downside is that when backing into my parking place at the office I cant see the stall lines because the 2005 is so old it doesn't have a backup camera. Even looking over my shoulder is not much help so I may need to adjust the mirror for parking. I will discuss this new technique with my wife who drives the CRV and see if I can get her to give this a shot however old habits die hard with her. Thanks for sharing this excellent bit of information!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting idea, can’t wait to try it on my crv if I ever get it back from the dealer. How well does it work when trying to over take cars?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,057 Posts

In my experience, BSI actually covers your lateral blind spot + ~2 car lengths behind your rear bumper. I tested it quite a bit when I first got my CRV to determine how much assistance and safety it would provide. I often will change lanes when a car is two car lengths behind in the adjacent lane and the BSI will invariably go off for a second or two until I accelerate to gain more distance safety as I change lanes.

I don't actually know if it is adjustable or not .... it has been that way since I took delivery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts