Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have a 2008 CR-V and she is travelling 60-70 miles per day for work, so I wanted to get a set of winter tires for the car this year. We live in IL, so theyre not necessary, but it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy, since she gets very nervous driving in the snow. I am wondering if the Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1 would be better than the Blizzak WS80 because of its beefier looking tread and deeper tread depth or if the WS80 would be a better pick because of its better ride comfort and less road noise. This would be my first set of winter tires, so Im not exactly sure what I'm getting into here, and Im going purely off of recommendation here. I was also thinking about the Goodyear Ultragrip Winter, but I can find either Blizzak for about the same price, and Ive heard Blizzaks are absolute beasts in snow. What are your thoughts and why? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had ws50's before they were ok, pretty good on ice and so so in deep snow.
I think it all depends on what she will encounter if you get a lot of slush, heavy snow I'd go for something more chunkier and directional to help evacuate the slush and snow faster.
I'm not a fan of the Blizzak line because only the first 45% (or is it 50% I cannot remember ) of the tread depth is the special compounds. Beyond that its just regular rubber compounds.
Shop around, but if you are able to stud even better. But do not use a tire thats meant to be studded without studs. The rubber formulas in studable tires is not as flexible in the cold thats why you use the studs for ice traction . If you do a lot of ice packed snow etc makes studs the best choice. Just limitations like everything else, try not to spin wheels, don't drive overly fast etc which you shouldn't in winter anyways. The stud less tires are good for places you cannot use studded tires. Look at Nokian, Gislaved, General etc for stud and studless. I have Nokian Nordman 5's and would not choose otherwise where I live, 4.5 hours Northwest of Thunder Bay Ontario.
PS
Use 4 tires only

·
Registered
197 Posts
NW WI here: I got a set of WS80s last year for my '15 AWD, first set of winter tires. I did some experimentation in 3-4 inches of snow in an empty car park shortly after getting them fitted, felt very confident with them (I could prompt the ABS to kick in only by braking far harder than I normally would and could do all the accelerating I wanted). They did just fine on the slightly-sloping ice in the alley behind the house, and ate up some blizzard + hill conditions in exactly the same way that OEMs don't. Maybe it's partly my conservative driving, but they never did any slipping at all except when testing to try to do exactly that. I'm a very happy customer and now steadfastly describe 'all season' tires as 'three season'.

Bear in mind that winter tires are for more than just the ice and snow: their rubber compounds are meant to stay flexible in the cold as well so they're an advantage even on dry roads. Whichever you opt for, I suggest you and your wife perform the empty car park test on the first decent snowfall to get used to them.

I had also considered Nokians, for they have a bit of a name for themselves in this market.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Up here in VT we get a pretty good mix of nasty winter conditions and while the CRV tackles it well a good set of snows are nice to have when you need to get to work before the plows hit the roads... I've used a variety of snows over the years and had a set of the WS80's 2 years ago and was very impressed with them. The rubber compound is very soft which makes for good traction on ice but the downside to that is they wear fairly quickly. Last year I switched to General Altimax Arctics after being impressed by the Altimax RT43 all-seasons I have on my '09 and in my opinion they are even better than the WS80's and also less expensive. These are studdable tires, but I did not have them studded and with all due respect to the other poster I thought they were nearly as good on ice as the Blizzaks, but even better in slushy conditions which are more prevalent. The rubber is not quite as soft as the Blizzaks, but I did not feel that impeded the tires abilities; they are still quite pliable in sub-zero weather and I felt very confident driving with them. The WS80's are a bit too soft imo, and that showed in the level of wear over just one season - as the previous poster commented, the Blizzaks are soft on the outside but harder on the innser tread so you lose some of the ice traction due to wear. The Altimax Arctics provided the same if not better traction at a lower cost and I believe I will get a much longer service life out of them than I did with the WS80's.

Either way you can't go wrong, but you should consider the Altimax Arctics as well (which I understand are rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost 3's, a well rated tire). They work fine without studs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Up here in VT we get a pretty good mix of nasty winter conditions and while the CRV tackles it well a good set of snows are nice to have when you need to get to work before the plows hit the roads... I've used a variety of snows over the years and had a set of the WS80's 2 years ago and was very impressed with them. The rubber compound is very soft which makes for good traction on ice but the downside to that is they wear fairly quickly. Last year I switched to General Altimax Arctics after being impressed by the Altimax RT43 all-seasons I have on my '09 and in my opinion they are even better than the WS80's and also less expensive. These are studdable tires, but I did not have them studded and with all due respect to the other poster I thought they were nearly as good on ice as the Blizzaks, but even better in slushy conditions which are more prevalent. The rubber is not quite as soft as the Blizzaks, but I did not feel that impeded the tires abilities; they are still quite pliable in sub-zero weather and I felt very confident driving with them. The WS80's are a bit too soft imo, and that showed in the level of wear over just one season - as the previous poster commented, the Blizzaks are soft on the outside but harder on the innser tread so you lose some of the ice traction due to wear. The Altimax Arctics provided the same if not better traction at a lower cost and I believe I will get a much longer service life out of them than I did with the WS80's.

Either way you can't go wrong, but you should consider the Altimax Arctics as well (which I understand are rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost 3's, a well rated tire). They work fine without studs.
We live in IL, so Im not even sure that winter tires are needed. Most of the time, the roads get plowed quickly and we dont get nearly the amount of snow as other states get. Do you think all-seasons would be fine or should we get a set of winters? How many miles do you typically get out of your winter tires?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Actually that's my plan for this season - I'm running the Altimax RT43's on my '09 CRV which are rated pretty well for sonw despite being an all-season tire. They have a pretty aggressive tread and are fantastic in heavy rain. This will be my first winter with them as the Blizzak's I have don't "feel right" after just 1.5 seasons... There's some tread left but I think the soft part is gone because they rode awfully hard by the time I took them off, and I noticed most of the sipes had worn away. This will be our 2nd winter on the Arctics for the wife's Pilot - I'd guess we put on about 3,500 miles on them last year and they look barely worn, which is a huge improvement over the Blizzaks. I'd hope to get at least 4 seasons (and hopefully 5) out of them depending on weather. We got 3 winters out of the other set of Blizzaks. Of course, environment and driving style have a great influence on the service life of snow tires, so your mileage will vary.

I always pictured IL has having a lot of that lake effect snow ;-) While dedicated snows will always have the advantage (don't forget about ice), if you live in an area that doesn't get a lot of snow or your driving schedule allows for the plows to be out before you, then a good all season could well get you through. I paid around $490 online (shipped + tax) for the set of 17" RT43's and another $40 at the dealer to have them mounted, balanced and installed (curiously, the dealer was much less than the local discount tire shop, and I felt more comfortable about them working with the tpms). They have a 75,000 mile warranty, so with any luck they'll carry me to my next Honda.

edit - forgot to mention that the RT43's are M+S rated (mud + snow), which while not the same as the "mountain / snowflake" severe winter duty rating, is nonetheless indicative of it's more aggressive tread design. They're also pretty quiet and ride nicely. The sidewall is a bit on the softer side, so don't expect racing performance - but for general use I have found them marvelous so far.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I would get the quiet tires if it’s a lot of highway driving. Maybe she won’t feel as nervous for that reason.

I can’t comment of Bridgestone since I’ve never owned any, but I’ve had Goodyear Ultragrips on my gen.1 CRV, and still have Ultragrips on my 2003 Acura EL and they’ve lasted a long time and still look and work great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Put WS80's on my 2011 last year. Excellent tire. Drove all over in the Colorado Mountains in winter as well as my wife driving the car for work. Very quiet, grip on ice and snow was exceptional.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been through last year in Wisconsin with the Bridgestone Duelers on my 2015 and will not try another year. I have 15,000 and have a little over 50 % of tread left. I am planning on Firestone Destination LE2 for a replacement. Per Tire Rack the Duelers are near the bottom for a winter tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts