Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving 50 years and never used a block heater....last summer I had one installed hoping it will help with the oil issue,,,,,yesterday was my first time ever using one....-11 degrees celcus and plugged in maybe 7 hours?...went out and remote started it and unplugged it right away and got in....backed out the driveway and felt warm air...went to end of street(maybe 15 or so houses) to stop sign....turned on to main street and looked down...7 bars already???? and heat.....this seems way to easy..anyone else had or have one?.....this has to help with the oil issue for sure.......any opinions?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been driving 50 years and never used a block heater....last summer I had one installed hoping it will help with the oil issue,,,,,yesterday was my first time ever using one....-11 degrees celcus and plugged in maybe 7 hours?...went out and remote started it and unplugged it right away and got in....backed out the driveway and felt warm air...went to end of street(maybe 15 or so houses) to stop sign....turned on to main street and looked down...7 bars already???? and heat.....this seems way to easy..anyone else had or have one?.....this has to help with the oil issue for sure.......any opinions?
That’s great news, thanks for reporting. Can you link the one you used. There are some that are external and plug into an outlet. I believe the one you are talking about gets connected to your car battery and gets screwed into a plug in the block.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That’s great news, thanks for reporting. Can you link the one you used. There are some that are external and plug into an outlet. I believe the one you are talking about gets connected to your car battery and gets screwed into a plug in the block.
I had to go to the dealer to get it and installed...$265 Canadian......it goes into block and I have it on a 120volt timer.......$$$ yes,,but lot cheaper in the USA......I cant get over how fast you get heat,will have to use it a bit more as we have lots of cold and snow coming to get the full value of it

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got one with my 18 CR-V. Haven't used it yet. Going below zero tonight here in ND. Think I'll give it a try!! Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had to go to the dealer to get it and installed...$265 Canadian......it goes into block and I have it on a 120volt timer.......$$$ yes,,but lot cheaper in the USA......I cant get over how fast you get heat,will have to use it a bit more as we have lots of cold and snow coming to get the full value of it
thanks, it looked like a pain to diy due to the location when I looked into this. However, your testimony gives more reason to install this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use it whenever I drive it to work, free power. Otherwise it sits in my heated garage. Still haven't had the update done and haven't noticed my oil level above the orange monster. Which makes me wonder how the warmer states are seeing this problem?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Does a block heater heat the oil in the pan?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Block heater typically heats the coolant fluid. It's an excellent add-on for extreme cold climates.
I had one on the vehicle replaced by our CR-V, typically only used it below 20*F and it was on a appliance grade timer set to turn it on about 3 hours before we needed to leave.

As an inexpensive alternative, many people simply use an incandescent light bulb (maybe 60 watts) in a old fashioned trouble light (metal) enclosure, placed under the oil pan.
This likely wouldn't work as well for our CR-Vs with the aluminum pan under the engine. Also, don't use it beneath a vehicle that is wet or where melting could cause a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What in the world is going on here? Are we seriously talking about how nice a block heater is? Lol.
I'm in Canada, and I use mine daily for half of the year.. why does it seem like you guys are hearing about this for the first time?

And what's with the other Canadian saying he has one and will give it a try?? If you have a block heater do you not use it on the daily!?!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Could not agree more........if I had one, I'd be using it daily (nightly) November thru March.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts