Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda CRV LX 2004. I started getting blue smoke from the exhaust. Garage said I needed new piston rings. After new rings put in I still experienced same problem. Please advise what else may be the cause. The car was purchased in the U.S.A. but is now overseas in an area not accessible to a genuine Honda dealer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's not uncommon for cars to use some oil. Burning off a quart every 1000 miles is largely considered acceptable although I understand your frustration since newer lower mileage cars (not sure of yours just assuming) usually burn very little. If your rings are good and they were replaced but it's still using oil the other likely place to lose oil is through the valve guides. The valve guides are significantly easier to replace than the piston rings since you have to drop the whole bottom end and you don't even have to remove the head to replace the guides. Blue smoke is what you get when oil burns and although the car will run fine (you just have to add oil every so often) it has been known to foul spark plugs and ruin catalytic converters. If it's burning a ton of oil it might not even pass emmissions testing. If the mechanic compression tests each cylinder and they are all good then the rings that were installed are fine but just cause a cylinder is compressing correctly doesn't mean the guide isn't letting oil in when the valve opens.

I hope this helps I wish there was more I could do since I understand your frustration and it sucks not having a trusted shop nearby!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,530 Posts
A reputable shop should have done compression and cylinder leakdown tests BEFORE digging into the engine. :(

I'd still have the tests done (to assure that the new rings are sealing well...there IS a break-in).

You don't mention the mileage on your V? Perhaps a thicker oil would minimize the problem. USA cars spec 5W-20 oil, but 5W-30 is OK. You could use 10W-40 if you live in a hot climate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts