Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a bluetooth OBD Adapter/Software that will read coolant, engine and transmission temperatures.

I purchased OBDLink MX+ which came with OBDLink software. It does not read any temperatures nor does it calculate horsepower, torque, etc. With a few exceptions, I get as much information from the CRV's dashboard as from the adapter/software. I also installed Torque (Lite) with the same results.

From what I can glean from the OBDLink forum, I believe custom PIDs could get the info I am looking for but I can't find any. OBDLink offers add-ons for specific vehicles but not for Honda. Back in 2011 they said Honda was on the list but as of today there has been nothing.

From this forum I've read that ScangaugeII and other plug-in devices will read temps. I would like the wireless connectivity and cannot understand why the not-so-cheap OBDLink MX+ cannot do this. Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I am looking for a bluetooth OBD Adapter/Software that will read coolant, engine and transmission temperatures.

I purchased OBDLink MX+ which came with OBDLink software. It does not read any temperatures nor does it calculate horsepower, torque, etc. With a few exceptions, I get as much information from the CRV's dashboard as from the adapter/software. I also installed Torque (Lite) with the same results.

From what I can glean from the OBDLink forum, I believe custom PIDs could get the info I am looking for but I can't find any. OBDLink offers add-ons for specific vehicles but not for Honda. Back in 2011 they said Honda was on the list but as of today there has been nothing.

From this forum I've read that ScangaugeII and other plug-in devices will read temps. I would like the wireless connectivity and cannot understand why the not-so-cheap OBDLink MX+ cannot do this. Any ideas?

Thanks.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/pids-for-torque-torque-pro.23291/page-2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UMRdyldo;

Thank you for the info. I entered the values from the civic thread but I still did not get any information reported from the OBD adapter. The dial itself showed up on the Torque app but it showed 0 (no data) when the CR-V temp gauge pointer was just below center. I could see RPM, etc. on the Torque app so I know the Bluetooth was working.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a OBDLink LX using their SW can get CT1/CT2, calculated HP and boost. I never could find a way to get CVT however.

Later I got a Scanguage that does CVT (with PID mods) just to not to have to start the phone app/BT connect issues, since it is hardwired. Primarily use it to track engines temps conditions to help control my OD. However, its lack mileage and boost readouts or it is not accurate. Customer support was no help, so just quite using it except for CT1/T2/CVT, which is does very well. It is very old school design in operation and readout, but still functional.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Your ScanGauge does not display boost? Mine is under MAP (manifold absolute pressure) I changed the display from MAP to BST. Negative numbers are vacuum, positive numbers are boost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope I didn't say that OBDLinkMX+ did not display boost. In fact it does, and now that I've seen the numbers I know the turbo is working and I can roughly correlate the colored stripe above the instrument panel with boost psi.

What I want to do is to get a handle on the engine, transmission and coolant temps while there is still some sub-freezing temperatures in the morning. I am going to bring my car in for the "FIX" before Honda determines that I have failed to properly maintain my vehicle.

I would like to see how long it takes to reach maximum engine and coolant temperatures. After the fix I would like to see if the temperatures or times have changed and what impact it has had on my gas mileage. Spring is coming and that is why I am anxious to get the OBD info working.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
This was my reaction when I first observed CVT tranny fluid temp.......:jawdrop:.

Never had a vehicle with a temp sensor in the cold radiator tank, like the CRV. After reaching operating temp, I’ve observed CT1 and CT2 150 degrees apart in cold weather. Hot weather, I’ve observed CT1 and CT2 as close as 10 degrees apart.

Engine coolant temp is about the same as our RAV4.......upper 170s F to north of 200F, depending on lots of variables.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Your ScanGauge does not display boost? Mine is under MAP (manifold absolute pressure) I changed the display from MAP to BST. Negative numbers are vacuum, positive numbers are boost.
I will have to go back and check. Once I got a feeling for the car and its use of the turbo, I have mainly focused on temps because of tracking OD. The OBDlink LX SW, might be a calculated display, but it is very easy/quick to read and the boast readout, seemed reasonable- both from low to high range based on my throttle response/loa. I drive at 6k-7k ft elevation, so I suspect I see boast more then someone at sea level.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yep, BST numbers change so quickly its hard to read, text, light a cig, fiddle with the touch screen, oh and drive at the same time. Thank goodness I don't have to add make-up to the driving multi-tasking list. Man, there's a lot of bad drivers out there.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone who has an OBD adapter, using a Smartphone App, get a reading for engine oil temp?
If so, do you need a custom PID?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Engine oil temp would be interesting info. I don’t know if Honda uses oil temp info.:Dunno:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Pretty sure the Cr-V does not have an oil pan temp sensor. I assume the are rare except for specialized cars/applications. The coolant is just used as a proxy of the general overal engine temps. I would suspect the oil temp is lower most of the time. My gut is 10-15F lower, but just a guess.

I am not sure with the lower pan cover, if I could get an IR thermometer reading. Might try some day. I have wondered if the oil is cooler or about the same when the engine is fully warmed-up.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
IIRC, Dr. Haas stated in his Motor Oil 101 paper that oil temps can exceed engine coolant temps somewhat. Lots of variables.

I've been using ScanGauge readers since 2005 in numerous vehicles (1996 and newer) and have yet to see a vehicle that would display engine oil temp. I guess since oil temp runs close to coolant temp, auto manufacturers don't feel oil temp is necessary.:Dunno:

As I stated in post #7, the CRV is the 1st vehicle I've owned that has a temp sensor in the cold radiator tank. I don't understand Honda's thinking for the need of a temp sensor in the cold radiator tank.:confused2: Kinda like that goofy so-called tranny warmer-heater that does nothing, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can definitely chime in on this one. I have several adapters and tested various programs. I assume that you are using Android, correct? I would definitely recommend Torque Pro. I have used it for years, and it always ends up being my go to when I'm having issues with a vehicle. If you are using iPhone, then go to CVS and get you a MicroMechannic adapter for 20 bucks. Their app is kinda simple but the database for the codes is one of the best. I use that adapter with Car Scanner Pro. This particular app can also emulate various profiles for better functions such as Honda HDS, Nissan Consult, TechStream, etc.

In regards to the MX+, I hate that the price is as much as it is. I haven't tested it personally, mainly b/c I cannot justify paying for a proprietary hardware that does the exact same as my 10 - 20$ hardware. Unless you intend to do any ECU flashing, a cheapo adapter is all that you need. Don't fall for the marketing gimmicks.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Does that you are using display CRV 1.5L engine oil temp?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty sure the Cr-V does not have an oil pan temp sensor.
dstein - If Honda does not have an engine oil temperature sensor then that would pretty well explain why I can't get the app to display it. :eek:

As I stated in post #7, the CRV is the 1st vehicle I've owned that has a temp sensor in the cold radiator tank.
crv383 - I feel kinda dumb, but could you explain what is a cold radiator tank?

In regards to the MX+, I hate that the price is as much as it is.
Urgodfather - Yes, I am using Andriod. I feel the same about iPhone as you feel about MX+. ;) If you are using the MX+ on a Ford or Chevy, you can download add-ons that have manufacturer specific PIDs that will give you more information. They say the add-on for Honda is coming. I also like that I can leave it plugged in and it won't drain the battery. At times I think you get what you pay for, although this may or may not be one of those times.

I have Torque Lite. Actually I like the OBDLink app that came with the MX+. Unfortunately, there is no comprehensive manual that explains all of the cryptic stuff. I will spend some more time with Torque and perhaps get the pro version as I get to know it better.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Automotive radiators basically have 3 components........2 tanks and 1 core. Hot coolant exits the motor via a hose and enters one of the radiator tanks (hot tank). Hot coolant then exits the hot tank and flows thru multiple tubes (the core) where coolant is cooled (heat removed to the air). The cooled coolant exits the core and enters the second tank (the cold/cool tank). Coolant exits the cold tank via a hose and re-enters the motor.

Coolant flow exiting the motor is controlled by the thermostat. Coolant flows in loop.......block to head (and heater core), head to block, etc. When the t-stat opens, the radiator is added to the coolant flow loop.

Never owned a vehicle (until the CRV) with a temp sensor in the cold radiator tank......hot tank, yes, but not the cold tank.

·
Registered
339 Posts
dstein - If Honda does not have an engine oil temperature sensor then that would pretty well explain why I can't get the app to display it. :eek:
Correct. Just because ones adapter/app can not read oil temp, does not prove a car does not have a sensor for it. You could just need better equipment. Regardless, rest assured tonight, extremely sure it does not have one. :) Nor do I have a OD problem. Just checked my adapter/app, it did not read anything. Whew! I just need a shorter dipstick to match my adapter/reading. LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Automotive radiators basically have 3 components........2 tanks and 1 core.
crv383, I thought that might be the case but I did not want to assume. You know what they say when one ass-u-me(s). Maybe it is regional thing but I've always called the top and bottom parts of a radiator headers. I like the sensors on the top and bottom, that way you know how well the radiator is working. Just a guess, but it may be that if the two numbers are close together, meaning that more cooling is needed, that would cause the radiator shutters to open.

I am not sure with the lower pan cover, if I could get an IR thermometer reading. Might try some day. I have wondered if the oil is cooler or about the same when the engine is fully warmed-up.
dstein, I think that is a great idea. When I get the time I am going to take the pan cover off, drive around a while and shoot the oil pan temp. I'll compare it to the water temp and post it to this thread.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
crv383, I thought that might be the case but I did not want to assume. You know what they say when one ass-u-me(s). Maybe it is regional thing but I've always called the top and bottom parts of a radiator headers. I like the sensors on the top and bottom, that way you know how well the radiator is working. Just a guess, but it may be that if the two numbers are close together, meaning that more cooling is needed, that would cause the radiator shutters to open...........
Headers/tanks, tomato/tomahto, verticle flow/cross flow........all the same.......3 main components.

The top (hot) sensor is in the cylinder head. As I said in my previous post, I’ve seen CT1 and CT2 only 10F apart in hot weather, stopped and efans off. Cold weather, CT2 at ambient and CT1 upper 170s F. I’ve also observed +200F CT1 in sub-freezing ambient, stopped, efans off, crazy shutters closed.

I know the compressor engaged turns on efans and opens those crazy shutters. When the compressor is off, I do not know what coolant temp triggers efans/opens those crazy shutters. I suspect it may be upwards of 230F

1 - 20 of 20 Posts