Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone tow a boat with their CR-V?? I am interested in getting a boat and am not sure what kind I should get and if my CR-V can tow it. Can anyone help? Thanks

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Does anyone tow a boat with their CR-V?? I am interested in getting a boat and am not sure what kind I should get and if my CR-V can tow it. Can anyone help? Thanks
Welcome to the forum! :)

I tow a 17 foot aluminum bass boat with a 40hp motor and gear. I have no idea how much it weighs. However, I do know that I tow with OD off (this is on the 99) and it does fine. Braking will take longer, but having OD off helps with engine braking.

On the 07/08's, tow with the trans in D3, like the owner's manual says. I believe the 4th and 5th gears are both overdrive gears, so this makes sense as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tow a single jet ski. Total about 750lbs. No real gear. Pulls fine. U know its back there but isn't strained.
What concerns me is when you hook up the trailer and the weight settles on the hitch, the rear end really sets down low and clearance in the rear wheel wells disappears. I bias trailer weight to the tongue. But I am only talking 75lbs (even balance). Doesn't make sense.

And how do you tow with overdrive off? Wouldn't that be like 4500 rpms on the highway even traveling @ 60mph in third gear? Running high rpms is just as bad on a transmission as overloading it. Giving the transmission the ability to shift when it needs additional power is optimum. Am I misunderstanding?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts