Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope that this, or any, thread regarding oil dilution is allowed to remain open. It gives those of us who have the problem an opportunity to compare notes as it were.

In order for this or any similar thread to remain open, those of us with the problem MUST refrain from taking the bait thrown out there by the paid or unpaid Fanboys. I am not saying that there are paid posters on this site but this is the anonymous internet and they do exist. We who have been here for a while know who they are and that their purpose in life is to shutdown any hint that Honda may have done wrong. They are trolls, just ignore them.
We know this is a problem, Honda Canada has formally admitted it is a problem and Honda USA has admitted to the media that it is a problem.

Here is my story, so far:
My CRV has been afflicted with the problem since May 2017 or about 3 months after it was purchased. I know this because as a car guy involved in sports car activities since the early 1960s, I have developed the habit of checking all the under-hood fluids in all my cars at least twice a month. Back in the 60s it was a necessity, now it is more of a habit. And now, a weekly habit. Obviously I am retired and because I am, I very seldom have to drive more than a few miles for anything. I live in suburban Philly where the temperatures can range from near 0 to nearly 100 Fahrenheit.

The first thing that I noticed with the CRV is that it was overfilled when I bought it, probably by the Ontario factory. Not a whole lot but 1/8 inch above the Max hole. At first the level went up 1/8, then a month later another 1/8 inch putting it at the top of the orange and smelling strongly of gas. (I have never smelled gas in the cabin.) It bounced down and up between between these two points seemingly based on taking high speed trips or not.

In November 2017 at 5,750 miles my MM was 15% so I got the oil and filter changed by the dealer. I mentioned my oil dilution problem to my dealer and they noted it on my records while neither admitting nor denying knowledge of the problem. Of course it was then overfilled to 1/8 inch above the orange. So I took it back and had them fix it. Once again it was 1/8 inch above the Max hole. Eventually it got the top of the orange and smelled of gas. It bounced down and up between between these two points seemingly based on absolutely nothing. Even taking a 2,500 mile interstate high speed trip had no bearing on the oil level.

In February 2018 at 8,500 miles I had my car at the dealer for it’s annual PA State Inspection. Since I was there anyway, I mentioned the oil dilution/smell to my service advisor again. After my state inspection was over the SA sat down with me and told me that they currently have no fix for this problem, but that they expected a service bulletin from Honda.
Following is the all important comment from the service write-up:
CUSTOMER CUSTOMER STATES CAR IS GETTING STRONG FUEL SMELL
AND NOTICES IT IS COMING FROM OIL. SEEMS LIKE OIL LEVEL IS
HIGHER BELIEVES IT IS DUE TO THE FUEL BEING IN THE OIL.
ADVISED CUSTOMER THAT THERE WILL BE A SERVICE BULLETIN
RELEASED FOR THIS ISSUE IN THE FUTURE
Once again, this was in February 2018.

In May 2018 I had my car in for other warranty work and since the dealer knew of my oil dilution problem, they gave me a free oil and filter change again at 10,350 even though the MM was only at 50%.
And overfilled it to the top of the orange. Rather than take it back I waited about 300 miles until I had the equipment and sucked out 18 ounces or 7/16 of an inch of oil. Now my oil level was 1/16 inch below the Max hole for the first time, ever. In the 3,500 miles since then my oil level has gone up and down only within a 1/8 of an inch range and achieved a MM of 50%. Except for the dramatic 1/4 inch drop after a 1,200 mile road trip to Cape Cod. I mention Cape Cod because it shows that I spent a whole lot of that trip on the beautiful high speed parking lot known as I 95.

So I have driven 13,900 miles (5,200 of them high speed trips) in 21 months. I have had the problem for over 11,000 miles and 18 months and have kept detailed records and have come to the conclusion that:
It Happens!
1) Ambient temperatures don’t seem to matter. It peaked once in August then again in February. Peaked for me has been the top of the orange.
2) Long high speed trips either remove excess gas or they don’t.
3) Driving around the neighborhood usually adds excess gas, other times it has no effect and occasionally it removes excess gas.
A couple of months ago my wife forgot to shut off the engine when she went to a movie with her friends. When she got back in the car she couldn’t figure out why it was so nice and cool in the car when it was 95 outside. So the car was idling with the A/C on for well over 2 hours and excess gas was removed from the oil. Yes, idling decreased the amount of gas in the oil.

I don’t know whether my problem, which was never as severe as some, is in remission.
Or, perhaps, having the oil level below Max to begin with may help alleviate the problem.

Anyway, that’s my story. I hope that whatever fix occurs in the next couple of months works because this has gotten old.

Sincerely,
Bob
BTW: There is new information here. The fact that a dealer mentioned that Honda was working on a FIX as far back as February 2018.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
BobInPa -

Please don't post using such a small font. While your eyes might find it easy to read, mine do not.

Second, I find this comment highly offensive:

In order for this or any similar thread to remain open, those of us with the problem MUST refrain from taking the bait thrown out there by the paid or unpaid Fanboys. We who have been here for a while know who they are and that their purpose in life is to shutdown any hint that Honda may have done wrong. They are trolls, just ignore them.
Do you have any proof that anyone posting on this website is a paid "Fanboy"? And I'm not talking about the vendor representatives that post ads for their products, and have not been involving themselves in the oil dilution discussions.

And the moderators have been closing threads because the thread usually devolves into an argument, with offensive posts from people on all sides of the issue. That, and there have been so many threads started about this that new ones are just reposting the same information from the previous threads.

And by referring to other members of this forum as trolls because you don't like what they are posting makes you a troll, too.

I am sorry that your CR-V is having the oil dilution problem, and do hope that the fix is soon available to everyone who is having the problem.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,681 Posts
I hope that this, or any, thread regarding oil dilution is allowed to remain open. It gives those of us who have the problem an opportunity to compare notes as it were.

In order for this or any similar thread to remain open, those of us with the problem MUST refrain from taking the bait thrown out there by the paid or unpaid Fanboys. We who have been here for a while know who they are and that their purpose in life is to shutdown any hint that Honda may have done wrong. They are trolls, just ignore them.
We know this is a problem, Honda Canada has formally admitted it is a problem and Honda USA has admitted to the media that it is a problem.

Here is my story, so far:
My CRV has been afflicted with the problem since May 2017 or about 3 months after it was purchased. I know this because as a car guy involved in sports car activities since the early 1960s, I have developed the habit of checking all the under-hood fluids in all my cars at least twice a month. Back in the 60s it was a necessity, now it is more of a habit. And now, a weekly habit. Obviously I am retired and because I am, I very seldom have to drive more than a few miles for anything. I live in suburban Philly where the temperatures can range from near 0 to nearly 100 Fahrenheit.

The first thing that I noticed with the CRV is that it was overfilled when I bought it, probably by the Ontario factory. Not a whole lot but 1/8 inch above the Max hole. At first the level went up 1/8, then a month later another 1/8 inch putting it at the top of the orange and smelling strongly of gas. (I have never smelled gas in the cabin.) It bounced down and up between between these two points seemingly based on taking high speed trips or not.

In November 2017 at 5,750 miles my MM was 15% so I got the oil and filter changed by the dealer. I mentioned my oil dilution problem to my dealer and they noted it on my records while neither admitting nor denying knowledge of the problem. Of course it was then overfilled to 1/8 inch above the orange. So I took it back and had them fix it. Once again it was 1/8 inch above the Max hole. Eventually it got the top of the orange and smelled of gas. It bounced down and up between between these two points seemingly based on absolutely nothing. Even taking a 2,500 mile interstate high speed trip had no bearing on the oil level.

In February 2018 at 8,500 miles I had my car at the dealer for it’s annual PA State Inspection. Since I was there anyway, I mentioned the oil dilution/smell to my service advisor again. After my state inspection was over the SA sat down with me and told me that they currently have no fix for this problem, but that they expected a service bulletin from Honda.
Following is the all important comment from the service write-up:
CUSTOMER CUSTOMER STATES CAR IS GETTING STRONG FUEL SMELL
AND NOTICES IT IS COMING FROM OIL. SEEMS LIKE OIL LEVEL IS
HIGHER BELIEVES IT IS DUE TO THE FUEL BEING IN THE OIL.
ADVISED CUSTOMER THAT THERE WILL BE A SERVICE BULLETIN
RELEASED FOR THIS ISSUE IN THE FUTURE
Once again, this was in February 2018.

In May 2018 I had my car in for other warranty work and since the dealer knew of my oil dilution problem, they gave me a free oil and filter change again at 10,350 even though the MM was only at 50%.
And overfilled it to the top of the orange. Rather than take it back I waited about 300 miles until I had the equipment and sucked out 18 ounces or 7/16 of an inch of oil. Now my oil level was 1/16 inch below the Max hole for the first time, ever. In the 3,500 miles since then my oil level has gone up and down only within a 1/8 of an inch range and achieved a MM of 50%. Except for the dramatic 1/4 inch drop after a 1,200 mile road trip to Cape Cod. I mention Cape Cod because it shows that I spent a whole lot of that trip on the beautiful high speed parking lot known as I 95.

So I have driven 13,900 miles (5,200 of them high speed trips) in 21 months. I have had the problem for over 11,000 miles and 18 months and have kept detailed records and have come to the conclusion that:
It Happens!
1) Ambient temperatures don’t seem to matter. It peaked once in August then again in February. Peaked for me has been the top of the orange.
2) Long high speed trips either remove excess gas or they don’t.
3) Driving around the neighborhood usually adds excess gas, other times it has no effect and occasionally it removes excess gas.
A couple of months ago my wife forgot to shut off the engine when she went to a movie with her friends. When she got back in the car she couldn’t figure out why it was so nice and cool in the car when it was 95 outside. So the car was idling with the A/C on for well over 2 hours and excess gas was removed from the oil. Yes, idling decreased the amount of gas in the oil.

I don’t know whether my problem, which was never as severe as some, is in remission.
Or, perhaps, having the oil level below Max to begin with may help alleviate the problem.

Anyway, that’s my story. I hope that whatever fix occurs in the next couple of months works because this has gotten old.

Sincerely,
Bob
BTW: There is new information here. The fact that a dealer mentioned that Honda was working on a FIX as far back as February 2018.

This is VERY hard to read for some of us. Thanks for considering this in your next post.

·
Registered
653 Posts
BobinPA: I wish more owners with the problem would be as direct about their experience with the oil dilution problem. I'm sure many owners probably have the problem (and don't realize it).

·
Registered
673 Posts
Bob, there’s possibly a shill on this site. I think you are mistakenly lumping the shill in with the troll or 2 here, but they’re totally different, both in posting mannerisms, and motives.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bob, there’s possibly a shill on this site. I think you are mistakenly lumping the shill in with the troll or 2 here, but they’re totally different, both in posting mannerisms, and motives.
OMG a schill and a troll. Where is Harry Potter when you need him...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Please tell us who are the Trolls and who are the Shills?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've have shared my experiences in the past and agree the problem occurs more often than Honda is admitting. Specifically in high environmental temps (90+F) and, or at highways speeds. It occurred for me during an 800 mile freeway road trip over a summer holiday weekend.

For me, it occurs not only when outside temps are cold or during short drives but when the little 1.5L engine is works hard:

- 4 passengers with luggage,
- climbing mountains,
- substantial headwinds,
- A/C on,
- 75mph freeway speeds,
- spirited driving.

Of course many won't experience these scenarios if they drive alone, live in flat lands, etc.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Like a moth to the flame or a paid commentator to the paycheck.
Yep anybody who does not agree with your opinion is on Hondas paycheck.
Do you ever get tired of complaining? I wonder what you will do when your fix is installed?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bob, thanks for posting the comprehensive report on your experience. Based on your findings I believe your CR-V is operating with-in design parameters and issuing the expected results. We know there will be a small amount of oil dilution with Direct Injection which should rise and fall on the dipstick a little and your + or - 1/8" would seem to fall within that range which to me is acceptable. Most owners would probably not be concerned about that amount of variation, I know I wouldn't view that as excessive uncontrolled oil dilution. Others here are seeing much more than than for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks for the reminder.
Shill, trolls, and an agitator.
Agitator. That is the word that is the most often used by Dictators about people who do not share their opinion. I would certainly take that as a compliment coming from you as you are also playing your part very well.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
You forgot *low information* posters!.......:Loco:

And.........:DramaLlama:
Or would that be No Information posters ?? :Hahaha:

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
BobinPA said:
In order for this or any similar thread to remain open, those of us with the problem MUST refrain from taking the bait thrown out there by the paid or unpaid Fanboys.

Obviously the bait is difficult to resist.... :Notagain:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Obviously the bait is difficult to resist.... :Notagain:

Nobody needs to bait them. Just look at the posts and who starts it!
They start off with a "anonymously" aimed attack which is so obviously directed at me or another person and then expect no reply. If your going to make an attack you should expect a response.

The last four posts that got closed I did not even make a post in them, the same guys who make the complaints about posts getting closed did it all on their own.

Rob

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bob, thanks for posting the comprehensive report on your experience. Based on your findings I believe your CR-V is operating with-in design parameters and issuing the expected results. We know there will be a small amount of oil dilution with Direct Injection which should rise and fall on the dipstick a little and your + or - 1/8" would seem to fall within that range which to me is acceptable. Most owners would probably not be concerned about that amount of variation, I know I wouldn't view that as excessive uncontrolled oil dilution. Others here are seeing much more than than for whatever reason.
I agree that my Problem isn’t as bad as some peoples and I did say that. The oil level on mine has gone up as much as 3/8 inch due to gas dilution and then gone back down a bit on it’s own.
When I sucked out a dealer overfill I discovered that 7/16 of an inch on the dip stick is equal to exactly 18 ounces of oil. So, 3/8 an inch is about 17 ounces of oil.
Which means that extra 3/8 inch is causing my oil to be about 115% of the original amount of oil. 15% more “oil” than specified seems like a lot to me, especially when it reeks of gas.
Feel free to check my math, I’m old.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts