Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking in my vehcile PASSENGER SIDE rear door repair (dent/paint job).

i have asked the dealership to do a GOOD job and make sure that the color blends in with the rest of the sides. they gave me a huge quote, anyway they will need to do the entire right side so the color blends in with the rest of the vehicle. i am fine because insurance is picking up the bill. i just want the job done right.

my question is. HOW CAN I TELL THAT THEY ACTUALLY DID THE ENTIRE RIGHT SIDE OF THE VEHICLE PAINTED? the manager there mentioned they have to do the fenders and front passenger door also so ALL of the right side is well colored exactly the same.
how can i find out if they REALLY take out the fenders and doors and perform the pain job and remove the dents etc?

can I play a STICKER trick? put stickers on parts I know they have to remove before they can do the job so if its removed then I know its painted?

any tips tricks will help me. really last person i trust is the dealerships

·
Registered
336 Posts
1. allow your eyes to judge, if the paint looks flawless to you when the car is under direct sunlight, then their job is done.
2. use a device that measures paint thickness. Usually cars that have been repainted will have high thickness readings relative to the rest of the car.

if they are indeed painting the WHOLE side of the car, pay special attention to the chrome trims around the windows, if the shop doesn't remove the trim, or tape it off properly, the trims will end up getting painted too. Now I'm not talking like FULL on painted, but more like the rubber edge on the trims get painted.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I am taking in my vehicle, PASSENGER SIDE rear door repair (dent/paint job).

i have asked the dealership to do a GOOD job and make sure that the color blends in with the rest of the sides. they gave me a huge quote, anyway they will need to do the entire right side so the color blends in with the rest of the vehicle. i am fine because insurance is picking up the bill. i just want the job done right.

my question is. HOW CAN I TELL THAT THEY ACTUALLY DID THE ENTIRE RIGHT SIDE OF THE VEHICLE PAINTED? the manager there mentioned they have to do the fenders and front passenger door also so ALL of the right side is well colored exactly the same.
how can i find out if they REALLY take out the fenders and doors and perform the pain job and remove the dents etc?

can I play a STICKER trick? put stickers on parts I know they have to remove before they can do the job so if its removed then I know its painted?

If you don't trust them why are you letting them paint your car?

When done by a skilled painter a good blend job is near impossible to see with the naked eye.

If you really feel you have to mark parts before it goes in you are having it done by the wrong shop.

·
Registered
201 Posts
They will not remove the panels that are being painted. They will remain on the car and be sprayed that way. Yes, it is common practice to paint the majority of a side in order to blend the paint. I, however, wouldn't allow that. After spending 12 years as a sales manager in the car business, I can tell you that the more paint work a car has, the lower the value it has. I would tell them you want only the panel being repaired to be painted. Plus, if you aren't happy, make them redo it. Insurance is paying so why would you care how much work they do/don't do, as long as it looks good?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm starting to see a consistent theme of you not trusting the place you're taking your car. First, your profile name, then your thread about demanding warranty-replaced parts back from the dealer so you know they actually replaced them, now this. I'm thinking you may need to do something to reduce your anxiety level about your vehicle. Typically, when I was in the car business, if a customer was just simply polite and made their requests known to me, I would go out of my way to make sure they got what they wanted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They will not remove the panels that are being painted. They will remain on the car and be sprayed that way. Yes, it is common practice to paint the majority of a side in order to blend the paint. I, however, wouldn't allow that. After spending 12 years as a sales manager in the car business, I can tell you that the more paint work a car has, the lower the value it has. I would tell them you want only the panel being repaired to be painted. Plus, if you aren't happy, make them redo it. Insurance is paying so why would you care how much work they do/don't do, as long as it looks good?
but the insurance adjuster said it is between YOU and the repair shop you are taking the vehicle to. it was my choice to take my vehicle back to where i purchased it from so its my worry....thats what she told me. does the insurance still has the liability of giving me this warranty?

and you said more paint brings down value of the car....what did you mean by that?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had this body shop replace and paint a front fender on my 92 Accord and they had to paint a small part of the front door and small part of hood which is called blended.
If the car is new then they just can paint one part because paint will match but when car is older then they need to blend or repaint the whole side.
You can go to the body shop everyday and check if they are really repainting the whole side which I doubt it; some cheap body shops just polish the parts next to the painted part to make it shine and look closer to the repainted part.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just hire the guys the rich guys use

I am taking in my vehcile PASSENGER SIDE rear door repair (dent/paint job).

I work in the body shop at a local Ford dealer. We do incredible work, thus we have accounts with both the two Mercedes dealers and the two Audi dealers in town. We fix brand new cars and everything else.

SUGGESTION: forget about all this other advice about trying to outwit the dealer by learning how to tell them to do their job.

Visit the service department at a Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, or other high line car dealer and ask what body shop they use. Anyone in the service department should know immediately. If they have their own body shop, get a quote from them. Either way, use the shop the rich guys use (insurance is paying, right?), and let them make the decision about what's best for your car.

If insurance is paying for it, they're going to take off the door handles, removable trim, etc. They're not going to get overspray all over the place like a Maaco job because they don't know how to use masking tape! Come on!

Anyone painting for Mercedes and Audi will do a slamming job on your Honda. If they want to paint the door, fine. If they want to paint the whole car, fine. Let them do their job and don't worry.

Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
65 Posts
just out of curiosity... is the body in that bad of shape that it needs repainting? there are paintless dent removal companies that do outstanding work! Here in South Florida for example is Dent Wizard whom I've used before on my Lexus and one could never tell there was a dent on my door before.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My thought is: If you can't tell whether they repainted the whole side or not it would seem to me they did a great job matching the paint and I can't see what there is to worry about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts