Hey guys, after a lot of hesitation I decided to upgrade my factory stereo to one with Android Auto / Apple Carplay. I don't know if it works or not but will share my experiences so that someone else in the community might be benefitted
My Requirements were:
- Basic Android Auto/Apple Carplay support: There are a lot of head units out there running a full android system but it requires its own GPS and its own way of connecting to internet (3g / Wifi). I wanted mine to be simple so that my phone is the main driver and GPS/Internet of phone would be used and I could utilize spotify offline playlists already downloaded on the phone.
- Steering wheel controls: Mainly Volume +- and Track Next/Prev. Bluetooth call pickup/voice support would be a bonus considering it's complicated to setup for our vehicle
- Capacitive touch screen: Many aftermarket radios out there have a resistive touch screen which can be a pain to use multi touch gestures like map zooming, etc.
- Cost effective solution: I didn't want to spend a lot on the unit and I'm not a audiophile and would just need the basic functionality.
I have ordered the following:
- Boss BVCP9685A which is a Double Din sized 7" screen Android Auto / Apple Carplay stereo with capacitive display, ASWC support for steering wheel control
- SCOSCHE HA1714B which is a Double DIN dashkit for CRV 2012-2016
- PAC RP-HD11 which is an interface which plugs in the vehicle connector and supports steering wheel controls
- Maestro Acc-USB-TO2 My attempt to utilize the usb port in compartment next to drivers seat.
I hope these components work together since the salesperson had warned me that the cheap Boss unit might not play nice with steering wheel controls.
Will keep you posted how the install goes!