Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I did A LOT of research on SUV's before buying this car. I have had it a week. Only 57,000 miles, great condition (looks new), rides nicely. I am beating myself up for not having test driven it longer than 10-15 minutes. I didn't realize that the seats were like ROCKS!!! I have seen threads on here about that and people said to buy cushions. I ordered a few which are on the way but then I came to find out that they may interfere with the airbag deployment! Honda said that I cannot alter the seats IN ANY WAY.... not even a lumbar cushion!! They said it could affect airbag deployment because the sensors determine the weight, mass, etc. of the person and the cushion could change what the sensors read and I could be injured if the airbags either ...deploy sideways...hit me with more force, etc.

I am super, super distraught. I cannot drive this car without a cushion. I stuck a normal bed pillow behind me and feel soooo much better. Seriously???? Not even a lumbar cushion????? Pillow?? I will have to trade this car in if I don't have any cushion. No joke. My husband and I spent a lot of time looking for cars. I can't put him through that again!!

My Nissan was rear-ended and I was forced to buy another car. Never had problems with my Nissan seats. Didn't even want another car til this young girl rear-ended me on the expressway and totaled my car!! Can ANYONE tell me ...can I please at least put a pillow behind me??????

Desperate here. :(

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi there nygirl,

I am sorry for the accident and the loss of your Nissan. My post here is to help you keep and enjoy your new CRV.

Well, you are talking with someone who has been through what you are experiencing in her own way. I have a 2007 EX-L that I bought just over 2 years ago and it has leather bucket seats. I was fine for a few months of driving but all of a sudden I ended up with a condition of an inflamed bursa (called ischiogluteal bursitis) and it came about from sitting on the hard leather seat. I first thought I was going to have to either get the seat changed out to cloth or sell my CRV. I went from garage to garage where they redo car seats trying to figure out what my alternatives could be. I have had cortizone shots (7) and they worked for a little while but the inflammation would return. It got to the point that I could not drive well because the pain was still too intense.

The good news is after months of trial and error, I finally found a cushion at a store here that specializes in cushions for car seats. It works very well and I sit on it in my CRV. In fact I use two of them to sit on. I have been using the cushions for all of my travels and for for the many long road trips I have taken. If anything, sitting up higher in the seat, keeps my head higher and away from facing the steering wheel. Before when I was sitting in the seat without the cushion my face was right at eye level with the steering wheel. So, I would suggest sitting on a cushion with a pillow behind you so you are sitting up taller and not with your face in front of the steering wheel. You should be fine that way and not have to worry about airbag deployment. Also, the name of the store I found those cushions at is called Relax The Back. Those cushions have really changed everything for me. It took a while to find a store that had the right cushions for me to use in my car.

Good luck and let us hear how you come out. I love my CRV, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am beyond thrilled I can keep her and continue to enjoy my road trips as well as all of my other driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you soooooo much Epona for taking the time to write!!! Funny, I briefly looked at that website but ordered something from Amazon. The one from Amazon will probably not work because it has a strap around the back which I hear could definitely affect airbag deployment :-( Haven't even gotten it yet! I did order another seat cushion and a back cushion which are separate. As I said, the Honda dealer near my house said I can't even put a lumbar cushion!! :-0 I am still a bit worried that somehow cushions will cause my airbags to deploy incorrectly and cause me serious injury. Have you ever heard of that issue? Has anyone else here?

I already have the steering wheel in the down position. I am 5'4".

What is the name of the particular cushion or model # that you got from Relax the Back? I would like to check it out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thank you soooooo much Epona for taking the time to write!!! Funny, I briefly looked at that website but ordered something from Amazon. The one from Amazon will probably not work because it has a strap around the back which I hear could definitely affect airbag deployment :-( Haven't even gotten it yet! I did order another seat cushion and a back cushion which are separate. As I said, the Honda dealer near my house said I can't even put a lumbar cushion!! :-0 I am still a bit worried that somehow cushions will cause my airbags to deploy incorrectly and cause me serious injury. Have you ever heard of that issue? Has anyone else here?

I already have the steering wheel in the down position. I am 5'4".

What is the name of the particular cushion or model # that you got from Relax the Back? I would like to check it out.

Thanks again.
So glad I can help you out! I am also 5'4" and my wheel is in the down position too. By sitting on the two cushions I am up much higher and I also have another smaller cushion that fits behind me for lumbar support. I put a link here so you can see the black wedge cushion I use from Relax The Back. It is expensive but I was at a point that I just didn't even care. I didn't want to sell my CRV and I am so glad now that I am fine when I drive. And I bought a second one because of the problem I have had for sitting in the bucket seat.

Well, that Honda dealer had to tell you that because it could be a liability issue for his dealership if he gave you that advise. I have driven on long, long road trips for days and all around my city and going to work and back and I know my air bag is not going to deploy. Truly, you will be alright. If you would like to talk with me over the phone about this I would be happy to tell you everything I know. Just send me a pm and I will give you my cell number.

Here is the black cushion that I use to sit on in my bucket seat. Also, Relax The Back has cushions for the lumbar area too when driving. They are more expensive but they are very good at giving relief. I have tried everything and these were the best from what I have searched out. They also have phone number which is 1-800-222-5728.

If the pillow you are using works, then perhaps you can continue to use it. I would just make sure you are sitting up higher.

I just sent you a pm.

http://www.relaxtheback.com/lifeform-travel-lite-car-seat-cushion.html

http://www.relaxtheback.com/ Just write in the search box "car cushion" and you will see another box to view for different car cushions

http://www.relaxtheback.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lumbar+pillow+for+car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts