Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so like the title says, i recently went through with the purchase of a 1998 CR-V with the 4at in it. I bought it from a used car stealership under the condition of a mechanical inspection. So just driving the vehicle home (30 miles) the CEL came on. Quick inspection and found P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold. Reset the light hoping everything would go away (big hopes) so anyways, the next morning i drive the vehicle to work and sure enough the CEL comes right back. Same code. So i figure more then likely i need a new cat. I am in an area where emission testing is done so not so sure about a spark plug defouler or whatever for the secondary o2 sensor. From what i have read as well is it could just be a lazy secondary o2 but not sure.

Second issue i find.. As i keep driving the vehicle i keep noticing a slight flare in the transmission from 3-4th gear. All other gears seem to shift smooth but from 3-4 almost every time i get a slight flare of a couple hundred rpms. looking around on google and forums i find it could be a possible worn 3rd gear clutch pack. Checked fluid and was right on the top of the fill line. No sure about brand. Driving the vehicle in D3 and manually shifting to D4 once needed it shifts right in with no flare. Also driving freeway or long stretch of road and mashed the peddle and it will upshift to 3rd and smoothly shift back to 4th. Seems to be only from starting at lower vehicle speeds. I assume because it takes longer for fluid to build pressure?

then third issue i find, as it was raining yesterday i took a fairly quick turn and while i was turning i hear a whine in the back that swiftly goes away after the turn is completed. I do it a couple more times in different areas and under hard and light accel and the harder the accel is the worse the whine. So again a quick search of google/forums and find it to be a rear diff going out. Sound right?

Basically this is the big issues im worried about. This rig was bought for my wife who has my 1 year kid with her all the time. I need it to be reliable and trustworthy. Are the issues mentioned above something that should be fairly easy to fix or should i be running the vehicle back to where i bought it?

Cliff notes

1) P0420 Possible cat issue
2) Flare in trans from 3-4th gear
3) whine in rear during turns

Thank you for any and all help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You need to change your fluids as the first, the rear differential and the transmission and only use genuine Honda. Maybe flush the rear differential like this: Change the oil , drive some miles, change Again. You can only switch 0,8 litre but the rear contains 1,2 litre... thats why

I cant tell the difference but there are no other fluids to use, you can also see many oil dealers only recommend engine oil, then it comes to diff it says Honda fluid only

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
This rig was bought for my wife who has my 1 year kid with her all the time. I need it to be reliable and trustworthy. Are the issues mentioned above something that should be fairly easy to fix or should i be running the vehicle back to where i bought it?
I realize not everyone can afford a new vehicle, but expecting an 18 year old vehicle to be a reliable daily driver is pushing it. I’m going to assume you got some kind of 30 day warranty with the vehicle, yes????? If so, get over there pronto, if no.......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts