Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found a silver 2000 CRV on Craigslist with 73,000 miles for 1,400 dollars. Of course I knew at that price and mileage, it wouldn't be perfect in every way, so I went and took a look, and bought it.

At first look it looks great, shiny, no dents and has all components. on it. Interior is good....needs to be cleaned up, but no heavy soiling or rips. However the body rust was a little nerve wracking....this is not a rust free CRV and is rusted in various places. Absolutely nothing major, but enough to make you think you're paying too much. It had a dead battery and the guy flooded it out, but finally it came to life and ran totally smooth, no leaks, temp guage stayed right below the half mark. It sat and idled for at least 20 minutes as I reved it up and down watching the tac for jumping. It sounds and feels like a 73,000 mile motor for sure even though it looks like it seen better days. I got a chance to drive it and it drove nice and motor didn't cough or spit....steered good.

It is a manual transmission and I like that a lot....shifted smoothly.

It seems to be a good running, pretty good looking car with no noticable rust when viewed from the outside, but open the doors and the door bottoms are rusted, rear wheel arches rusted behind the plastic guards and underneath has some yellowing and a bit of scale.....nothing structurally bad. Has new exhaust and runs quiet.

I ended up dealing for a 1250.00 price.... Even though it has some body rust and motor looks like it has 300,000 miles on it....it does run and drive good....looks great from the outside and the interior would look new if cleaned thoroughly.

So....you think it is worth 1250? I don't think it was a bad deal....it is road ready...sooo... Guess I just had some shaky legs due to the rust.....like.....does it really have only 73,000 miles. The odometer says it does, but who knows who has played around with it.

Thanks....I'll post pics tomorrow night....I'm actually going to plate it and drive it home 80 miles:cool:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Ya, they all rust after 15 years if you don’t take care of them (unless your in a non winter climate of course).

But hey, if the engine & tranny are good, that’s a bonus.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
sounds good lets see some pics!
did you check the carfax as for the mileage? when i was looking for one i seen alot that were good until the carfax mileage didn't add up and was rolled back

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like a rust free, shiny CRV from the outside, no dents no noticeable rust. Look under it and it's a different story. It's not bad shape underneath, just typical NNY salt damage and yellowing of the frame work....still solid. the door edges are rusted out and the typical first gen rust around the back wheel arches. looks hood, but the arches are rotted from behind,....looks repairable. Says 73,000 miles, but, like you said....could of been rolled back easily. However I wouldn't think someone would roll it back just to get a measly 1,400 dollars original asking price(I got it for 1,200.00) The engine, while dirty, sounds and acts like a lower mileage engine. Good power, totally driveable(I drove it for 5 miles and it was smooth)....just a minor click which I think might be a rusted and broken return spring in one of the hubs.

To me I would think it had 173,000 miles, not 73,000, but it does drive like a 73,000 mile rig. Either way I think I'm not out any money.... I now have a decent looking, totally driveable, 5 speed CR-V and the driveshaft is still hooked up! for 1,200 bucks. This thing might go for a few years if I baby it....who knows.

My plan is to take care of it and drive it this winter, but eventually transfer all the good stuff to my 1999 CR-V of the same color(silver) my 99 has a rust free body, bad engine....I'll put the 2000 CR-V engine and tranny in the 99 then repaint the 1999..... both have same interior color which is awesome. The 2000 has an original roof rack which is great....

So what I have in the 2000 is a good winter rat that looks nice and it's my future parts car for my other 1999 CR-V. not a whole lot of money and I am enjoying working on Hondas. Guess I'l keep my 1999 now....I was going to part it out until I found the 2000 a few days ago.

I'll have pics up soon.

I just don't want people thinking I got an immaculate Cr-V with 73,000 miles..... it has rust and stuff.....but it is still a very road worthy vehicle.....love the 5 speed manual a lot!.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my first CR-V I got a few months ago....clean body, but bad motor(bent valve) I have replaced the entire head with a new one and yet to get it finished. I ended up dismantling the CR-V for parting out, but now changed my mind since I found the 2000 CR-V that has a great engine and 5 speed manual....I may just as well plant that motor/tranny into the cleaner LX body you see here.... and make a nice, project of it....build up a cheap, custom CR-V that is perfect.

WP_20150909_008.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll get pics of the 2000 when I get to my place. It's over 90 miles away at the owners house. Waiting to get it licensed so I can plate it and have it all legal when I drive it home.

This is how clean the body on my 99 LX is with 218,000 miles... I wish the 2000 EX was this clean....and it has only 73,000 lol.

WP_20150909_007.jpg

WP_20150909_005.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok went down and payed for my 2000 CR-V and got it all licensed and ready to go. I have to run down there tomorrow and pick it up. I managed a quick video and took some pics for you all. It started right up and rn smooth as butter. The Title showed it had 38,000 miles in 2004 and it was owned by an old man. That was 11 years ago and it had time to gather a lot of miles, but it does have the original ball joints and driveshaft still all hooked up....starts and runs smooth like a lower mile engine.... I'm pretty satisfied it is actually a 73,000 mile CR-V. Apparently they never washed it off in the winter because of the rot. It's not bad....I intend to do some rust repair and save this little CR-V....it's a good solid running CR-V otherwise.

Video is on my youtube channel here
I'll do a better one later when I get it home.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
So Eric, here's a crazy idea from an old retired fart out in California who is always amazed at the rusty conditions you guys back east put up with.
What if you were to keep both cars and just do an engine swap based on the seasons?
Put the engine in the '99 for spring/summer fun, and not have to worry about it seeing any salt.
Swap it back into the 2000 for Fall/winter duty when the roads have salt on 'em.
That way you have a nice body during the times when you want a nice body and you have a rusty one to drive when you don't want to worry about it getting rusty.

Crazy I know, but I've heard of people buying winter beaters for just that reason.
Glad you found a good motor/trans.!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh it's more than a good motor!, lol.

A bit rusty around the edges, but I've seen WAY worse here. I'm going to get the better body running to I guess. With the 2000 I'm going to do the work to keep the rust from eating any further. It's a very solid car.... just has rusty door bottoms....runs perfect.

I got it for 1,200 so I'm happy.

I think with the 99 I'm going to strip it down further, find a low mile, very good engine to put in it and do a custom paint/tires....nothing expensive or anything....just do the body work, paint it and get it to run like new.... Just some fun projects to keep myself sane.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I drove the 2000 CR-V all the way home this morning without issue. It ran and drove amazing and I can say I do believe it has only 73,000 miles on it. Spare tire cover never been off(had to peel it off it was stuck to the tire and brittle. Tool bag and picnic table still stowed away. I changed the oil and filters before I drove it away so it has fresh oil and everything. No clunks or shakes, nothing. Brakes need a little attention, but drivable. I'm going to throw on a set of new tires, but that is about all it needs....detail the interior. It has some minor rust, but it can be fixed with some time and work. It drives so nice that it is totally worth it, for 1200 bucks....Couldn't be more happy about it.

Here I am driving it home... I know I go on and on, but I love it when I find deals like this and I finally got the chance to drive a CR-V.. Enjoy the video!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The more I delve into the foreign car market the more I regret it.

Went out to drive the 2000 CRV and won't start....turn over won't start.

Parts are too expensive...

Quality? where? My 1997 Ranger has 312,000 miles and I ended up taking that to Autozone to see how much a cap and rotor cost for a Honda.

Cap and Rotor? Who the hell uses those in these days? Oh....Honda does.

Anyways I have a couple of trade-ins torwards a 2010 Ranger I wanted... I have both CRV's ready to be picked up by the dealer and their delivering my Ranger at the same time.

Oh well... hope yo uguys have better luck.

goodbye gents

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You went from being happy about the V and giving it praise to hating it and hating foreign cars in just a few days. You got it for $1,200, so just put a little money into it to fix it up right. Even with low miles it is a 15 year old vehicle. It sounds like it was left sitting for a long time which isn't very good at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts