Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2004 Honda CRV, It came with 2 keys and a key fob.

I'm an idiot tho and didn't try the key fob, and only was given the second key upon taking possession of the vehicle.

So the problem is, the key that starts the vehicle ONLY starts the CRV. The other key only unlocks it the doors(but not the rear door) The keyfob that they sent, doesn't work. Now looking in the manual, I'm not sure if the CRV LX ever had the option.

So,

1) Does anyone know for sure if all CRV's had the key fob or not?

2) Keys, anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to have the door locks rekeyed to accept the ignition key? Or is there a better route(rekey everything, have the ignition and the rear lock rekeyed?)

Any common things to look out for on 2004 CRVs?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,968 Posts
1) look at the spec pages on the Honda website. You may need to compare trim levels side-by-side.

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2004/CR-V/specs#mid^RD6854PBW

2) I'd ask at a locksmith near you. You could check that at a dealer, but their prices vary all over, and sometimes they farm out the work to a locksmith anyway.

As far as things to watch out for, be sure all the routine maintenance has been performed. If you don't have records, do it yourself.

The OEM A/C compressors failed often, but many cars will have been fixed by now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My recollection is that EX was the only 2004 CR-V with central locking that would require a key Fob. The CR-V came with two fobs. Only 1 key needed for doors and ignition. I am the original owner of a 2004 CR-V EX.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Check to see if the recall or TSB on the high beam headlight switch was performed. The original switch caused a surge that burned out headlights well before they should have. This recall/TSB was around 2012-13 so many owners were not the originals when it came out. I used to keep at least a pair of extra headlight bulbs in the car since if I blew the other one would within about two weeks. Always changed them in pairs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a 2003 Honda CRV (LX version) and the dealership told me it can be equipped with an OEM keyless entry/remote system. It's a little pricey so you'll want to shop around. Call your nearest Honda dealer and give them your VIN number and they should be able to tell you whether yours has the keyless entry or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.