Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Bought my First CRV

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kloker 
#1 ·
Not new to Honda. Owned a 92 civic HB with a Frankenstein motor and a 2000 Civic with LS/Vtec I built myself (Dyno 234hp). But a couple years after the LSVtec Honda I traded it for a 98 GTP. Anyways, Im tired of cars cause I'm getting older and my knees hurt and my 2000 Durango is a GAS HOG to the extreme (still love that truck though) so was looking for something AWD that I can pull a small trailer with and get decent mileage. IM not familiar with the K motors but Im a diesel tech by trade so Ill learn quickly. Anywho I paid $2350 for it and pick it up next week (Had my son go check it out then wired him the money so it's at my son's house right now). Everything works cept the Washer but he can hear the motor fire up. It has 194k miles on it but beings my Durango has 251k original power train and still runs fantastic, Im not afraid of high mileage.

I have some small plans for it and maybe Ill start up a project thread when I get started on it. It will be my Daily Driver/Bug-out-on-weekends vehicle. Still have th Durango when I want to get mountain frisky but pretty sure the CR will fit my needs perfectly

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Hi and welcome to the community! Glad to have you here. Tons of great info here and full of good people that are more than happy to share their knowledge. Hope you stick around and find this forum useful!
O Ill be around I got plans I wanna share in the upcoming weeks. Want to see how comfortable the Lay flat seats are before I get too involved. Also still deciding if I want to use the under the picnic table area for my Inverter or adapt a drain plug and use it for a cooler lol. Going this weekend to pick it up (300 miles away). Dont worry ya'll Ill stick to myself and not interact with anyone!

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Well got the car home. Someone REALLY pampered this girl. Not a rip anywhere in any of the seats/floor/headliner. No unusual holes. Tires were just rotated and oil change 800 miles ago. Runs GREAT (although today I noticed the interior lights stuttering and the voltage is everywhere from 13.8-14.7). Ordered a Alternator and I've read up on several sites how to change it. Gonna follow the P/S and fan route.

Installed a 40amp powered Switch box. #1 for front Aux Lights, #2 for rear Aux Lights, #4 for Rear Power override (want to keep the rear Accessory 12v on when car is off when camping instead of keeping the key on OR rewiring the rear Figured an override would be just the ticket)

The sound system sounded pretty good but Im a sticker for stuff. New Kenwood Multimedia deck installed and Rockford Fosgate door speakers on order along with a powered Subwoofer for under the driver seat (already measured and it will fit just barely lol). New LED interior bulbs on the way along with a 200W Flexible Solar Panel system (can throw on top when camping to keep power demands up).

So basically what I'm making is a bug out rig that can self charge with solar panels (but have a backup jump starter) watch movies when I'm bored and carry all my Fishing/camping necessities for weekend warrior.

O and the rig got 28.3 mpg on the way home on Premium and average 75 mph. And what's with the impression these are slow? From what I read I was expecting 1992 Honda Civic CX speeds. For an AWD SUV I thought she had plenty of power. Never got out of 4th gear (auto) climbing hills on I84 in Oregon. I got a 2000 Durango slightly modded with 3.92 gears and I kept up with my Wife in my CRV when she floored the Durango. She did pull on me but not terribly bad. She had about 3/4 car length on me at 60ish.

Last but not least, is there a appropriate project area? Something I can update my progress from time to time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.