Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently attempted to bleed my brakes on my 2001 CR-V SE. I followed instructions from the Chilton's manual, but when I attempted the first caliper (front driver's side) I had to turn the bleed valve almost a full turn before anything came out. And when it did let anything out, the only thing that came out was a small amount of rusty looking sludge. I stopped there and closed off the valve.

Right now, the brakes work all right. But when it comes time to fix this issue, what should I consider? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If this is the first time the brakes have been bled, then I'm not surprised that all that came out was rusty looking sludge. That's what I would have expected from 15 year old brake fluid. You need to continue bleeding the brakes until you get fresh clear brake fluid out. BTW you should start with the farthest brake from the master cylinder, usually the passenger side rear.

·
Registered
267 Posts
With sludge like that, a full flush of everything, new calipers, new slaves, new master, and maybe new ABS system.

Imperfect brakes are unfair to you and others sharing the road.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
312 Posts
If you clamp off the fluid line you can take the bleeder screw out and clean it. This will help.
Definitely flush all the old out as you bleed. Often neglected, all modern cars with ABS require this every 2-4 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts