Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of the Honda vehicles have the same type of brake caliper
guide pins. For most , the top and bottom guide pins are different. For our Honda
CRV ( 2005) the bottom guide pin is round and the top is basically a round pin
with three lengthways flats on it. In the Honda manual it states that if these are
reversed, excess tire wire, vibration and uneven pad wear can result. I was talking to
a service rep at the local Honda dealer and he said all the pins were reversed and
all the pads wore uneven and had to be replaced. I see people on u -tube doing
brake replacements on Hondas but not mentioning this important detail. I posted this
before but a reminder may help newbies to this site.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Many of the Honda vehicles have the same type of brake caliper
guide pins. For most , the top and bottom guide pins are different. For our Honda
CRV ( 2005) the bottom guide pin is round and the top is basically a round pin
with three lengthways flats on it. In the Honda manual it states that if these are
reversed, excess tire wire, vibration and uneven pad wear can result. I was talking to
a service rep at the local Honda dealer and he said all the pins were reversed and
all the pads wore uneven and had to be replaced. I see people on u -tube doing
brake replacements on Hondas but not mentioning this important detail. I posted this
before but a reminder may help newbies to this site.
Very good tip!

Here is a picture to demonstrate what Bill R is referring to:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Interesting. I always knew that my honda and acura pins were different between top & bottom, so I would re-install them the same way they came out. In Bill's post on the 05 CRV the top pin has the 3 flat sides, and in 09EX's diagram, the bottom pin has the 3 flat sides. I guess I'll check the FSM for placement, in addition to observing which way they came out, when doing brakes in the future.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,644 Posts
Yeah, they seem to be in different positions on different models (which is probably why I can't remember which goes where, without looking it up!)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 2005 CRV factory manual and the A - pins with the flats, are all on the top.
What manual did that diagram come out of? Apparently on mine, when the round pins are
put in the top, they tend to stick. Bill R

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am confused...
2006 CR-V Front caliper slide pins.
Can anyone confirm which pin goes on top (flat-sided, as Bill R's '05 FSM says) or (round with bushing as in 09EX4WD's image)?

I had them in as Bill R describes but I was getting some dragging recently.
LF pads are unevenly worn but the RF are even and less worn.
Could be the caliper but the LF slide pins were very stiff even though I cleaned and lubed them 3-4 months ago (purple permatex ceramic brake lube)

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am confused...
2006 CR-V Front caliper slide pins.
Can anyone confirm which pin goes on top (flat-sided, as Bill R's '05 FSM says) or (round with bushing as in 09EX4WD's image)?

I had them in as Bill R describes but I was getting some dragging recently.
LF pads are unevenly worn but the RF are even and less worn.
Could be the caliper but the LF slide pins were very stiff even though I cleaned and lubed them 3-4 months ago (purple permatex ceramic brake lube)

Thanks
For example,
IMG_1660.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Be careful using the purple permatex on Honda sliders, if you google around the web, some people have found them to make the honda rubber bushing swell, causing binding. Probably safest to use some silicone based lube. Sil-Glyde or the Honda OEM stuff?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Be careful using the purple permatex on Honda sliders, if you google around the web, some people have found them to make the honda rubber bushing swell, causing binding. Probably safest to use some silicone based lube. Sil-Glyde or the Honda OEM stuff?
Thanks, I did notice swelling on the slider bushing but it was after I had been wiping off the lube with a rag that had brake kleen on it. (Checked the other side, wiped with a dry rag and didn't notice any swelling) Either way, I cleaned out all the permatex purple from both sliders on the RF caliper, lubed with Sil-glyde, and replaced the boots and bushing with new ones. Pads were only half worn (nice and evenly) but I replaced them anyway because I had replaced the pads on the other side.

I replaced the entire LF caliper with a complete reman caliper including bracket and sliders and the new pads. The LF was the dragging caliper (pads were unevenly worn).

It's a 2006 CR-V, the slider with the rubber bushing goes on the bottom position, as described by Bill R and shown in the exploded diagram in post #9.

Later this year when it's time to change the brake fluid, I'll check on the rear brakes and see how the fronts are holding up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a question/clarification on this discussion for the front brake caliper pins on a 2004 CR-V:
I'm confused by this picture above and the following one on a second post. This 2005 pic above shows the 3-fluted caliper pin in the bottom slot and the pin with black rubber tip ring in the top slot. But the following picture shows the reverse arrangement for a 2006 CR-V? Which is it (specifically for a 2004).

So,
1) For my 2004 CR-V, does anyone know if the fluted pin goes on the top or bottom for the front brake setup-- a picture would be great. I see a lot of confusion on this online (Autozone has yet another picture on their site) and folks say the manual says you can have problems if you get the pins in the wrong position.

2) What do you lube the pin with -- can you use molybdenum caliper grease (safe for rubber gaskets) or should you use only silicone? Some folks say they wash the inside out with brake cleaner but I wondered about getting that on the rubber boot? And if only silicone is allowed, what type/brand/model do you recommend for the caliper?

3) What do you torque it to when done -- is it 25lbft or 36 lb ft? I see both mentioned on different pics?

4) I notice my piston gasket is slightly damaged. Piston still moves fine. Somebody mentioned in one forum using RTV silicone to patch it. Is this simple fix recommended, or should I take it out, get a new gasket, and then bleed brakes, etc ?

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts