Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just recently flipped 2 years and 25K on my 2017 EX-L Looking at the MMI I see B 2 7, the 2 makes sense for the air/cabin filter, but a brake fluid change at 25k mile seems a bit early. Anyone else get this on their CRVs?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
2 yrs is good, wouldn't call it a need but that depends on how your fluid looks. Look at the reservoir and see if the fluid looks nice and clear or if it's dark colored. If it's dark it needs changed, if it's clear still then not NEEDED but not a bad idea to do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
My maintenance minder showed the brake fluid at about 55,000 miles and 2 years. I’d bet the minder goes by time not miles. I haven’t changed it yet, but I’ll likely do it soon.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
catching uo to two years so we'll see on that.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Yep, it needs to be done some time during the car's 3rd year of life. Mine lit up two years to the week after I took delivery.

And you can't go by looks. The moisture that is the reason you change it out doesn't change the color much. I've done several fluid flushes for friends now, and it looks okay in the resevoir, but turns a rather unattractive shade of green-ish black after a while in my waste canister.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yep, it needs to be done some time during the car's 3rd year of life. Mine lit up two years to the week after I took delivery.

And you can't go by looks. The moisture that is the reason you change it out doesn't change the color much. I've done several fluid flushes for friends now, and it looks okay in the resevoir, but turns a rather unattractive shade of green-ish black after a while in my waste canister.
Actually yes you can go by looks. That's how it used to be done, change when dirty. It's not just changed due to being hydroscopic (which take a good amount of time for enough moisture to get in) but because like any fluid, it breaks down when it gets hot enough.

As for how it looks out of the car, EXACTLY, brand new brake fluid does that when left out in a pan exposed to open air.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Seems very odd - Toyotas and Lexuses certainly don't need their brake fluid changed at 2 years...sounds like an overly aggressive change schedule.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Seems very odd - Toyotas and Lexuses certainly don't need their brake fluid changed at 2 years...sounds like an overly aggressive change schedule.
Most manufacturers recommend every 2 or 3 years as noted here: https://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

My previous vehicle was a Toyota Camry and I never could find an official time period from Toyota. The dealer recommended every 3 years. As noted in the link it depends on how much moisture the brake system is exposed to.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
you may find it in older Owner manuals but even that has minimal inf.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My maintenance minder showed the brake fluid at about 55,000 miles and 2 years. I’d bet the minder goes by time not miles. I haven’t changed it yet, but I’ll likely do it soon.
This! 57k and ~2 years and 6 months. Did you replace pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
do not think we can put a mileage on brake fluid, anti freeze but trans /cvt, rear diff and oil. now what about O2 your ac you do that by mileage nah

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Lexus says to change it at 3yr/30k miles.

I've had mine 6 years, but only have 20k miles. Maybe I should get on that! :)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Meh, my VW wanted it every two years, GM wants it every three, etc. So, "sometime during the 3rd year" for our cars seems pretty normal.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sheesh. Brake fluid is based on age and mileage has nothing to do with it. The recommendations (when there is one at all) varies from every year on some motorcycles (BMW) to 10 years on my Miata. I changed the brake fluid on my 09 bike last year for the first time and on my 06 Miata for the first time year before last. I have never changed it on my 04 F 0150. I would guess that most vehicles on the road never have had their brake fluid changed unless it is after brake repairs. I never changed the brake fluid on anything in my first 50 years of vehicle ownership.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts